Lee Yong Dae ( 이용대 / 李龍大)

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by taufik_lin16, Jul 14, 2006.

1. ericksakti

ericksakti Regular Member

This was a great match, however best match of MD this year goes to asian games final in my opinion, that game was just too tense hahaha

2. wade

wade Regular Member

Kevin after the match talking about lee yong dae, "I feel, more or less he still the same. still strong, not making easy mistake. since back then he always known for being the safest player in the world."

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

What the f*ck would he know about how it felt to play LYD, he never met him at his best.... :D

KHALID81 likes this.
  4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Really sad that LYD and SBC are so incompatible personality-wise, I would really have liked to see them for a change. SBC has really good variation in his back court game, and not the same weight and movement problems KGJ has.... :D

5. wade

wade Regular Member

LOL :D yeah he only met LYD since 2015, never before that.

Just out of curiosity, when do you consider LYD to be at his best/peak ? his ealier years when he still playing with JJS ? 2008-2012 ?

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah. His elbow injury took a lot of his back court bite, but he was still incredible at the net. 2008-2009 was super exciting, 2011-2012 was great too. 2010 was when he had his biggest problems iirc. He started to slow down after that, and his back court play got weaker every year. Watch the 2008 AE SF, 2009 WC or 2011 HK Open final for true excitement :D

7. wade

wade Regular Member

Yeah that 2008 AE match against the malaysians was one of my favorite match from him, at one point he play such a ridiculous defensive shot, the shuttle almost hit the floor but he still somehow get that...still don't know how he do that :D

I already watch almost all his matches against cai/fu, so yeah :D

8. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Yeah he's been playing a much watered down version of LYD in their last few encounters. Aside from the speed he has lost and the power in his smash, he no longer hunts the shuttle at the net as much as he used to whereas before he was the net! His defense has suffered a bit too, despite still being pretty solid. I remember watching some of his matches circa 2011 when he was often playing his trademark cross court blocks from net kills and midcourt smashes, picking them up like they were nothing and doing it consistently. That was when he really stood out for me. Describing him as having an incredible defense just didn't do it justice, it was truely jaw droppingly amazing.

KHALID81 and wade like this.
  9. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

LYD's smash used to be stronger and more varied, about a decade ago :(

Also when I think of Korean players I think of insane fitness and 100% commitment, just look at this match where they are smashing almost non-stop and diving for everything:

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You really gotta watch the third game of that 2008 AE SF. Unbelievable stuff happening, both defensively and around the net. Only players that looked near as omniscient are Setiawan and Sukamuljo, and the cuntish behavior of the latter makes it somewhat less impressive :D Cai Yun could match him overall, but didn't look quite as genius. He was an absolute lightning bolt though to make up for it.
    Want to see them match up, look at the 09 WC, 2010-2012 Korea Open, 2010 AG team event, 2010 Thomas Cup, 2011 WC/HK Open...there were plenty of meetings, and you barely ever knew who was going to win. Still, those early 2008-2010 tournaments, that was really sensational, especially since no one used to be that good around the net at such a young age at that point in time.

11. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

The fact that lyd at the age of 30 who already past his prime still can push the world number 1 like that say something about the level of md right now :D

12. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

I can't believe lee yong dae were only 19 years old at that time. I don't think i've ever seen a 19 years old playing like that, EVER. prodigy.

13. ericksakti

ericksakti Regular Member

well I think being older also gives you an advantage, which is experience that money can't buy, this is something that KSS has not enough yet.

14. lurker

lurker Regular Member

like ZSW?

15. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

do you guys think lee/kim have a chance to play in all england next year ?

16. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    If they can take all the 100 and 300 series tournaments and reach QF or SF in the 500s along the way. There may be a chance the points will be enough to qualify.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

17. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

Similar, yes. In the 2008 Olympic final he could easily get past the defense of a prime Liliyana Natsir, who I still consider to have the best women's XD defense. I did upload the video of that match previously but it was taken down. However, it can still be found in the video sharing forum or I could re-upload elsewhere if requested.

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

LYD was already very experienced at 25 years of age. The additional years don't really do much in terms of experience.

19. Origin

Origin New Member

And LYD will never meet Kevin at his best, did you know Kevin is only 23yo boy currently?

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Difference being LYD didn't make a comment on how it feels to play KSS. Also, since when is someone aged 23 a boy....LYD had won 4 WC medals as well as Olympic Gold and Bronze at that age.