Kudos to the Korean

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by AlanY, Aug 14, 2012.

1. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

It's a bit unfair to the players for my opinion. They were just following the order. If the appeal was not successful, their future are gone. They are the top two WD pairs in Korea currently, if they really got suspended, who do you think is the beneficiary? :D I saw a lot of Kim Ha Na supporters in BC. :D These supporters will get disappointed too.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Even the legendary Kim Moon Soo fired....

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I sincerely hope all of them are let off with a stern warning, they were already punished by Disqualification,losing the opportunity to contend for an Olympic medal that they prepared 4 years for, and suffered ignominy as a result. What's more, it wasn't really pre-planned and not entirely their fault when the format/structure gave rise to it suddenly.

Besides,why should first-time offenders not be given a second chance and punished twice? What purpose does more punishment serve, deterrent or retributive justice? Too harsh a punishment is itself a miscarriage of justice.

To err is human,to forgive divine.

#23 Justin L, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i think we should have a poll for this. Do u think BKA is right or wrong?

(A) Right, coaches and players should both be punished.
    (B) Wrong, both should not be punished.
    (C) Only the coaches should be punished.
    (D) Only the players should be punished.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I worry BKA have other motives for wanting to punish the players and coaches thus as a few of us are beginning to suspect, that I find deplorable and serves no useful purpose other than to demoralize the entire Korean badminton community.

6. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Two years suspension is too harsh me thinks. 6 months to max 1 year.
    For comparision, the Lawn Bowling case was 6 months suspension and fine, to the players only, as nobody pointed fingers at the coaches or officials

7. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Somebody mentioned that LYD would be losing both his partners. I hope he will anyway :p He really isn't getting better with Ha ...

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes,I've said in my post #6, a fairer penalty maybe a fine plus six-month suspension on the guilty players and coaches if the top people in BKA (not so much the Korean public,I believe) are insistent and have to be appeased.

9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Maybe because two years is just long enough for them to "volunteer" for military service [​IMG] ...

http://www.badzine.net/features/poll-justice-for-korean-players-coachs/20837/

#29 demolidor, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Doping carries a ban of 2years - are we looking at an offence of similar magnitude?

11. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

Doping is a life long ban, only if you can prove that you took the substances unknowingly then can be reduced to 2 years.

12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Why the hey would BKA want to "demoralize the Korean badminton community" after hosting the most lucrative SS tournament on the tour?? Speculate without any knowledge at all = :rolleyes: ... let's just wait and see and wait for event to update us :).

Speculating further :p, perhaps they can't foot the bill anymore and hope to blow a smokescreen and quietly demote the SSP status ;) ...

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Moreover,in my opinion,what the BKA top people are doing is to absolve themselves of all blame by focusing on the players and coaches. Haiz.

14. kming

kming Regular Member

Computer
    Come on, what a JOKE!!!. If the plan had successed, they would have been considered as big models for korean badminton and now they take TWO years....???

They've already been punished. Why continuing punishing them when you see that the OG has been fulled with these kind of thinks. For example, spanish basket team has won the silver medal despite the fact that everybody knows that they lost on purpose against brazil. Like that they did'nt met USa in semis.

Only badminton players have been punished. STOP!!!

15. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Isnt doping 1st offense 2 years, then 4 years, then lifetime? I have read different no of years for different sports. Some sports straight away 4 years ban on 1st offense.

For this 'deliberately losing' thingy, what punishment has other sports meted out?? Oh, the lawn bowling one was by the International Lawn Bowling Association, equal to BWF, wasnt by the local association.
    In this case, if China and INA dont punish or punish less severely, then there will be questions. I guess that's why for other sports it's the World body which decides on the punishment.

16. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I suspect LYD won't be displeased with the loss of his current XD partner (joking) ;). I certainly won't be missing that endless sour face either :D.

OTOH, cutie #2 JKE will be sorely missed :(

Seriously though, 2 years is quite harsh. I never saw that coming. Thanks BWF. Your inability to control match fixing and letting certain associations off the hook time and time again has in a way led to this.

17. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Gotta start somewhere or else it doesn't get fixed.

18. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    let's see what chn and ina will do, if anything. wonder what the reaction will be if lyb gets fired???? lol

19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i agree with the punishment!
    welldone kba!

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Personally, I think 2years is also harsh. Although we point to match fixing in the past as a problem, BWF never really came to grips with the issue in a knockout tournament - i.e. the funding structure and lack of independent players leads to potential manipulation.

I see a lot of retirements due to 'injury' in the Super Series tournaments. I think I stated before that if a retires due to injury should mean that the player be given a rest period of 2 weeks. If anything, that would mean the acting will have to be better.