Korea Open Final

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2005' started by chinadoll, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I don't know how the Koreans spell it, but when using their surnames as 'Yi' it really confuses what we are used to reading it as 'Lee' as in Lee Hyo-jung and Lee Hyun-il.

I like the way Lee Hyo-jung play and I think she is impressive and she should be quite a match for any with her Lee Kyung-won partnership. :D

2. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    That's how the Koreans spell it.

3. event

event Regular Member

Fair enough. I'll stick to the standard spellings. I'm not doing it the way the Koreans spell it so much as how they say it. There is no such thing as a person named "Lee" in Korea. It's just some baffling transliteration idiosyncracy but since everybody both inside and outside Korea has agreed to perpetuate the same mistake. Just be prepared for confusion if you ever have to speak to a Korean about anyone named "Lee"(Ee), "Ra"(Na), "Lim"(Im), or "Roh"(Noh).

I agree that "Lee" Hyo-jung is impressive and I hope they do make a good Sudirman Cup showing. I'm tired of China being the foregone conclusion. We need some suspense. I know the Koreans are defending champions but after last year's Thomas and Uber Cup results and today's rankings, it really doesn't feel like that means anything. Lets see Lee Hyo-jung/Lee Jae-jin and Lee Jae-jin/Jung Jae-sung rack up some more wins this year and the mood might change.

4. klaphat

klaphat Regular Member

In my opinion, there is plenty the umpires can do. Not to offend Jens, but now he is the example.. when he takes too long serving or receiving.. he could be given a warning.. and when it continues.. you can penalize him a point.. which I think can be done again and again.. but can also ultimately cost the match.. it would be very controversial if any umpire was to use these tools more actively.. and naturally those rules must only be used very carefully in order not to spoil the game.. but basically.. if the umpire considers a players' actions to be unsportsman like.. then there is something which could be done about it..

5. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Well, it has been known to happen that umpires hand out warnings for this kind of behaviour. Most notably, the AE final (where Jens was very much involved, although not as the obvious "offender") where Lee got a yellow card for repeatedly (on 3 occasions) not being ready when Jens was serving. Unfortunately, the umpire made a grave mistake by not allowing Lee to call for the tournament referee, which of caused much controversy (and a pretty inflamed debate here too!)...

I also saw a match recently (can't remember which, duh, but I think Lee was once again involved) where a player was warned (although not with a yellow card) for clenching fist and shouting when facing the opponents.

In my opinion, this kind of mind play adds to the game, unless it goes too far. As in all sports, it's really up to the umpires to draw the line.

6. badplayer2004

badplayer2004 Regular Member

just saw the md finals..the danes were actually playing with the indos...danes were in control ..they are kind of experimenting using slow pace style and soft "touch"..they didnt even want to do smash till the endings....its like they are experimenting testing out new theories how to handle fast game players like indonesians..they did look foolish on the first game..by the second game i realize they are just playing around ....the danes just look and act cool since the second to the last winning point in the 3rd game....to me the danes even "with held/retraint" their playing....they are making a field study how to deal with indonesian smashing under lab conditions.....lol

#126 badplayer2004, Mar 17, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2005