KOREA Open Badminton Championships 2023 (18-23 July 2023) : R/32 to Final

Discussion in '2023 Tournaments' started by Baddyforall, Jul 17, 2023.

1. wade

wade Regular Member

What important is next month, fajri has played really in WC since 2019, only losing to ahsan/hendra both in SF. considering everything their performance here are much better compared to indonesia/malaysia/singapore open, started to play their best badminton again. with that being said I think chirag/rankireddy are the favorite to win WC next month.

Anks, Baddyforall and Baddie lover like this.
  2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yeah he is good but he cant get out of this situation. The pair basically, when they are down they will most likely to lose to a better pair. This is something we see often in G3 of his matches. Bad body language.

How often do you see an easy airshot in badminton match.

3. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

All the pairs are good, winning 6-8 SS so far in their career other than AaronSoh. Winning WC will solidify any of these top 5 ranks. So probably all the matters now is the WC and AG.

S Chandrasekhar likes this.
  4. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    Chirag/Reddy can be the WR1 if they can consistently perform like this. FajRi performance was an anti-climax after game 1…

credit to Indian pair with a solid defense and reflex during flat exchange,,, they beat FajRi comprehensively in G3… and it’s also a problem for FajRi too when they face opponent with very good defense and flat exchange, they are prone to self/unforced errors (just like after G3 interval)… Fajar and Rian is still having a discussion right now even after the match and during ceremony, hopefully they will perform better next time.
    ;)

Let’s gooo FajRi many important tournaments will come up for the rest of 2023!!!
    :D

#224 ojayz, Jul 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
    Baddie lover likes this.
  5. wade

wade Regular Member

Again with another overreaction lol, yes fajar probably has stamina issue but people act like they always losing when they were trailling especially in the 3rd game is so funny to me. did people forget what happen in AE earlier this year when they were trailling against kang/seo (I think it was 12-15 in the 3rd game) then ended up winning the match ? or when they were trailling almost the whole game against minions in the final of denmark open last year then ended up winning ? people act like they're some kind of fluke pair lol. they were by far the most consistent pair since last year.

ojayz likes this.
  6. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    quite a contrary, I have great respect for Fajar being one of the best front court player in the world. And the way he does that (fluid and elegant movement,,, with nice flair or skill set) make him one of my favourite player to watch (even better than watching Kevin Sanjaya).

But I agree that they are not as dominant as Kevin/Marcus in 2017-2019-ish.
    ;)

regarding being legendary, I think their resume is not that bad: 1 AG silver, 1 AE tittles, 2 WC Bronze, being WR1 and many many WT tittles hehe.
    But if they can win gold medal in one or two out of AG 2023, WC 2023, and Olympics 2024, then definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, I will say that they are one of Indonesia's great.

Happy Badminton Everyone!

#226 ojayz, Jul 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
    Simeon and wade like this.
  7. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Honestly they are expected to win those matches.

Lose too many matches that they should win .
    AG vs Minions, AE vs young unheralded ChiaSoh, no fight vs Daddies in WC twice.

I would say they should have double digit SS instead of 7. Their best performances where they can handle all their pressure prolly comes in TC title win. WR1 they should have shown more fight. This is serious stamina issues only on 4 matches and its not gonna get better.

8. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    Yep I agree,,, especially in terms of being in a clutch and critical moment, FajRi has proven (at least to me) that they can win under-pressure. One of the example is the one vs Korean pair in AE2023 like you mentioned.
    And even in the final of AE2023 vs the daddies, they were trailing by 17-15 or something close in Game 1 (I do not exactly remember) and I thought they would crumble and lost in the final like the way they lost vs the daddies in WC SF 2022 (lost the match after large advantage in G1). But they can still keep their cool/calmness and win their biggest tittle yet.

And yea I think I forgot to mention in my previous post that Fajar problem with injury (I think back injury (?)) has been a bit troublesome for them in 2023, but Fajar mentioned in the press that he wants to be ALL OUT giving everything for their olympic drams.

Let's gooo INDONESIA INDONESIA!
    Happy Badminton.

wade likes this.
  9. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    You cannot be more right, congratulations.

10. wade

wade Regular Member

I mean if they have a winning record like minions in the final that would be great, but 7-5 finals record in super 500++ tournament isn't too bad either (with 1 of that loss because of an injury), especially since they already won a big one like all england. I wouldn't care too much about their SS record as long as they win in WC or olympics.

They weren't even the favorite in AG and WC, the only dissapointing loss was against chia/soh in 2019 AE SF. nobody's perfect, even minions couldn't handle pressure in big event hence why they lost that tight match in WC against chai/hong in 2017 and seo/choi in 2019, also losing their first ever match against chia/soh at the olympics.

11. wade

wade Regular Member

Yeah true, at least this game was much more enjoyable than the one in indonesia lol

12. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

If we want to talk about clutch, i would say Minions all wins in AG is clutch. From that crazy deficit against Kaneko and Fajar and tight matches against Goh basically the one with4 - 5 or more point differential.

13. S Chandrasekhar

S Chandrasekhar Regular Member

Naah, i disagree. 2017-19ish Kevin was a dragon spitting fire in the front court. Don't see Fajar having skills as good as Kevin. Never could see SatChi winning against that Kevin, they have a 10-0 record. It is because Kevin was multi dimensional, his half smashes, cross smashes and etc etc SatChi were finding very hard to get a grip.

FajRi are a one dimensional pair. If the other pair is good and can match them on rallies, i don't see them winning with high percentage. Kang/Seo showed that in SF and i am quite sure that the other meetings with Kang/Seo wont be easy going.

14. wade

wade Regular Member

So if you call fajri one dimensional then what about minions ? they were losing against endo/yuta 6 times in a row ffs

The only pair from indonesia that are not one dimensional and good whether it's fast pace or slow pace are ahsan/hendra

15. S Chandrasekhar

S Chandrasekhar Regular Member

Absolutely no doubt on Ahsan Hendra. Well, just because minions were loosing against Endo Yuta doesn't mean that they were one dimensional :) In simpler words what i mean is this:
    Hope this clears things :)

16. Habisin-Habisin

Habisin-Habisin Regular Member

Couldn't agree more...

17. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    of the current top md pairs ranki/shetty have the highest ceiling to be the best of this generation.
    • they were down by a lot and kept their cool.
    • they have demonstrated the ability to execute nec'y adjustments.
    • they have a significant combined power advantage over current competition, and still getting physically stronger and faster.
    i am still on track by this: https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...nal-23-28-october.178329/page-15#post-2685114 (they were the only ones to beat lee/wang in tokyo)

they are still improving which makes them my odds on favorite to win gold @ paris 2024. but at 28 & 32 yrs old for la 2028 it will be tough.

18. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    So we can have different opinion then absolutely.
    ;)

It's all about preference. When I mentioned I prefer Fajar over Kevin is because of the "subjective" point of view (the way Fajar play), doesn't mean Kevin does not have greatness. Both of them have their own style and way of play in front court. I see Fajar is the best in terms of shuttle placement, whereas Kevin is very great in terms of having "crazy" wrist movement and reflex for intercepting flat-drive, and anticipating the shuttle in front court. Of course each player perhaps has weakness,,, perhaps Fajar is "a bit" more prone to error when exhausted or the game did not go as the way their plan, while for Kevin his flair and eccentric way of play sometimes can be a problem for Gideon.

Also to point out that Chirag/Reddy is already on another level right now, ,, way better than compared to their performance on 2018 to 2020. Also for Fajar/Rian becoming more and more reliable since 2022.
    And, there is no way to 100% prove this, but I believe the Chirag/Reddy in 2023 level will give a very good fight vs prime Minions,,, so it won't be as dominant as the previous "10-0 record".

Happy Badminton!

19. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    The reaction of Satchi's coach Mathias Boe's is lit the best ever ...I can imagine him and Taapsee dancing in Mumbai in front of the TV:D:D

20. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    The body language of the Indonesian pair wasn’t good and they weren’t mentally strong as the Indian pair. In the 3rd game Fajar made unforced errors even the last match point with the service error. He was nervous.
    The Indian pair have much more confidence now, especially after winning the last Indonesian open and can beat any pair right now.

Anks likes this.