Is this serve legal?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by timeless, May 6, 2003.

1. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Thought I will put this in this thread

...since it is about illegal serve.

I had just finished watching the ladies doubles between Denmark/Japan and Riki Olsen's serve was shown close-up a number of times.

She would hold out the shuttle and then move her racquet to the shuttle and then draw back and forward to hit the shuttle. Now, wouldn't that be considered illegal? Granted that there was a momentary pause before she drew the racquet back.

Also, in the same match, one of the Japanese ladies was called for a receiver fault meaning that she moved before the serve start (which caused some confusion amongst all four players).

2. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Definitely illegal. I think a lot of service judges don't quite do their job when it comes to international tournaments. Almost as if they let things slide because they assume the players all serve legally. And then other times I've seen service judges that seem to have it out for certain players during a match. Just doesn't seem consistent.