India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

They have migrated all over India. There are many Reddys' in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu! Yes, their origin is Andhra Pradesh.

Baddyforall likes this.
  2. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Sudirman Cup 2017
    Special day for Indian badminton!
    India stun INA 4-1! India was supposed to get knocked out today! India live up to their reputation dangerous in team matches but inconsistent. India could have beaten DEN 3-2 if they had converted their opportunities.

The biggest surprise came from doubles as singles performed to potential. Indian Doubles have received a lot of flak and were demoralized by constant defeats on the circuit. The mental blocks are immense and wins like this will help India rise. Ashwini, Sikki and Satwik played fearless badminton and reaped the rewards.

India might make the QF which is an achievement considering India was in the "Group of Death" and expected to be crushed by both INA and DEN.
    In 2013 INA crushed India 4-1.

BAI's decision of hiring Malaysian Doubles coach Tan Kim Her and Indonesian Singles Coach Mulyo Handoyo will pay rich dividends. Tan Kim Her is working hard on building Indian Doubles teams. We will see the fruit of this decision in the coming years. Doubles still has a lot of work to do. Wins like these are a bonus. :)

#1702 badmuse, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  3. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Team India

Link: https://www.thequint.com/sports/2017/05/23/india-beat-indonesia-sudirman-cup-2017

Link: http://www.espn.in/badminton/story/_/id/19443242/india-flex-their-doubles-muscle-sudirman-cup

Excerpt:
    One area where the doubles teams can significantly improve is holding on to their leads,
    as India let go of an advantage in the deciding game against Denmark in both the women's and mixed doubles on Monday.

The scratch pairing of Rankireddy and Ponnappa have displayed tremendous potential in their two matches in the tournament so far. While Ponnappa is one of the most powerful players on the doubles circuit, 16-year-old Rankireddy is a commanding presence at the net with his big wingspan.

Rankireddy also has a fierce smash that has caused problems for proven performers like Tontowi Ahmed at this tournament, and Hendra Setiawan-Markis Kido at the Vietnam International challenge back in March.

Link: http://www.sportstarlive.com/badminton/india-stuns-indonesia-4-1-at-sudirman-cup/article18531086.ece

#1703 badmuse, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  4. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Ashwini Ponappa played a captain's role in guiding Satwik and Sikki. Her smiles made a difference and helped release stress during the match. Her reassuring manner helped Satwik and Sikki grow in confidence. For this reason alone she will be a great influence for Satwik/Sikki in shaping them as players in the matches ahead. It is good to enjoy yourself on court! :)

Link: http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/badminton/ashwini-ponnappa-the-smiling-assassin-4670700/

Excerpt:
    In her early years on the international circuit, a coach had once taken umbrage at Ashwini Ponnappa’s smiling countenance on court, and told her she lacked seriousness to compete. It had made the ace doubles player, with a Commonwealth Games gold and a World Championship bronze already, furious, that her naturally joyous ways on court could be misconstrued as lack of commitment to winning.

Satwik
    We didn’t think too much about opponent being Olympic champ or anything. We just wanted to play to our strategy. Neither of us took any pressure and we played freely. I enjoyed a lot in fact playing against the Olympic winner, and we were not afraid to play him,”

Ashwini
    Today I just told Satwik we can beat them. We really wanted to win and played our heart out. We both hit hard, and we enjoyed ourselves I think,”

rajat_remar likes this.
  5. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

6. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

7. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

“We had a good chance, we had the confidence that we could pull it off,” said Ponnappa. “They’re very experienced, while we’re just starting off as a pair. Satwik has to get used to pressure situations. It’s kind of fun playing with him, because he’s strong and his game style complements mine. I’ve started moving into the net. In the past I’ve always run back and never taken charge. Having a promising player like Satwik to partner with is a huge confidence booster.”

8. Baddyforall

Chen long after the match said "“My opponent was very good, and he strongly challenged me in the second game,”

9. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

10. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

World Championships 2017 India gets extra slots as some nations have declined! :)
    India gained 1 extra slot in MS, WD and MD
    4 MS Ajay Jayaram, Sai Praneeth, Srikanth Kidambi and Sameer Verma
    2 WS PV Sindhu and Saina Nehwal
    2 XD Pranaav Jerry Chopra/Sikki Reddy, Satwiksairaj Rankireddy/Maneesha K
    3 WD Ashwini Ponappa/Sikki Reddy, Meghana Jakkampu/Poorvisha Ram, Arathi Sara Sunil/Sanjana Santhosh
    3 MD Manu Atri/Sumeeth Reddy, Satwiksairaj Rankireddy/Chirag Shetty, Shlok Ramachandran/Arjun MR

Source: Goodminton Twitter page

11. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Team India arrive for Thailand GPG

12. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Saina Nehwal back to basics as she struggles with endurance on court. The recovery process is long and slow.
    Expect her to lose in early rounds this year. Any good wins are a bonus. Looks like it will be sometime next year when she can get back to playing like a top 5 player.

Link:https://thefield.scroll.in/838799/back-to-basics-how-saina-nehwal-is-plotting-her-return-to-the-top

Excerpt:
    Nehwal is on a long road back to the peak of her game...
    Nehwal’s team, however, is not worried about the results as long as the process is right.

Vimal Kumar
    I keep telling her – you are doing the right thing,”
    It’s just a matter of confidence. She has lost out on some close matches. It was very tough for her. But we have to keep motivating them and turn things around. As long as they put in that effort, their enthusiasm is there, they will find their way back.”

I’ve told her that when you came to Bangalore [three years ago], you were in a similar situation
    ,” he says. “You were down in the world rankings, not winning. Then, you got to No 1. Go with the same procedure – work on the basics.”

Now, what I keep telling her is – when you’re going through these difficulties, you cannot think you’re still the best player,
    When things go wrong, go back to your basics. Once you do that, you can always find your way back because you have the experience.”

Nehwal’s on-court training sessions at the Padukone academy usually last for around two hours a day. She trains with Kumar and fellow coach Umendra Rana, sometimes facing both of them in tandem. She also plays 40-point games against the best of the academy’s young prospects.

“She has brought a variation in her game,” says Kumar

Nehwal’s restricted movement since her surgery has also led to a change in her approach to games.
    While she was known for wearing her opponents down before going for the kill in her heyday, she is now going for a lot more smashes in a bid to end points quickly.

13. Baddyforall

Thanks for the news @badmuse. Sometimes I'm feeling like Saina's return is going to be a long strenuous one. She have to bear the losses in the early rounds. But very very difficult against some of the top tier players who are very physical.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

badmuse likes this.
  14. Baddyforall

Sindhu, Carolina , Sung ji him and Tai all are very physical players. They are physically very strong. They can go on and on for very long time and work their way into the match which i don't think saina could face them. But first try low tier tournaments before entering top tier tournaments.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

Cheung and badmuse like this.
  15. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Thank you! :) @Baddyforall
    Yes, just hoping for the best! India needs Saina in next year's Uber cup. Will be uphill battle without her.

16. Baddyforall

17. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

18. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Both Ira and Akarshi lost to the same player.
    I saw Vaishnavi's name in the list, but she's isn't playing, right?
    Would've been great if she could win even a match in Sr circuit

19. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Yes, Vaishnavi Jakka Reddy is not in the draw. In MS Sourabh Verma and Sai Praneeth are India's strong challengers. Will be interesting to see how far Saina Nehwal can go.

20. Baddyforall

I must say , Harsheel dani lost to himself. So many deceptive shots cost him points. He should correct himself , otherwise it is not possible to conquer.

Footwork is slow and sluggish