India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

BAI President passes away. What impact will it have on Indian badminton?

2. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

I hope some non-political leader takes that place. I do remember Jwala blaming this guy for threatening her . I don't have courtesy for this kind of arrogant leaders. Hope some sports person takes the head post.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Wishful thinking. I think it's OK to have some arrogance if you get the decisions correct.

4. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Sad to hear that.

I don't know what kind of person he was, but I will not jump to conclusions.
    Passing away of anyone is sad.

And besides, Jwala is always very verbal and outspoken. She can exaggerate, and I will not take her words on face value.

5. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Compared to past BAI presidents he has done a lot of good work for Indian Badminton. Everyone has their negatives but I would rather dwell on the positives. Jwala shared her condolences as well.

Nice to see you back on the forum! @Airos

Airos likes this.
  6. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Sai Praneeth is elated with his win at Singapore SS!

Link: http://www.espn.in/badminton/story/_/id/19156488/feels-good-gopi-sir-sends-message-praneeth

Excerpt:
    Indeed, for anyone who had seen his game - almost effortlessly graceful and languid -- his lack of success on the international circuit (He has a solitary Grand Prix title) was jarring. His upsets of the greats of the game were mere flashes of brilliance, never amounting to anything of substance. He would look wonderful while winning a point but would fail to close out matches, convert wins into tournaments and tournaments into rankings. Indeed he would lose his next match soon after beating Hidayat and Wei. Unsurprisingly, his rankings have languished in the low thirties and forties.

Praneeth:
    "It wasn't a technical problem. It was a confidence issue. I had been coming close but losing. And once you keep losing, closing out those final few points becomes hard,"
    But Praneeth says he felt he was about to turn a corner for no other reason but the fact that the odds had to favour him at some point. "It was a matter of time that things had to start going my way," he says.

7. Baddyforall

It's India vs India in a very rare occasion.

Sai vs Sri

Olympian Kashyap shares his thoughts about this guys.
    http://www.espn.in/badminton/story/...l-indian-men-final-singapore-open-superseries

Excerpts:

"I've known them from the time they could even hold a racquet,"

"Srikanth's game is about speed and consistency. He can rally and he is waiting for that opportunity to smash. He has a great smash and he finds the lines. Because he is so quick, he can rush to the net. He has played doubles earlier in his career so he has a very good parallel game as well,"

Praneeth, though, is a player's player. "I've said this many times before. Sai is perhaps one the most skillful players in badminton today. I wish I had half as many strokes as he had. He has such supple wrists that he can change his shots at the last moment. His game is all wrist. When he gets going and starts playing his crosscourt shots, you can't match his half smashes or at the net. Compared to Srikanth or any one else, he is far more skillful," says Kashyap.

However, Praneeth's skill is also his weakness. "His problem has been that he has so many options of strokes to play that he gets confused," says Kashyap.

Kashyap reckons that unlike Srikanth, Praneeth has lacked balance in his game. "Badminton isn't a sport where its just your fitness or your skill. It's about finding a balance in your game. Sai has taken his time in finding that balance," he says.

Sai Praneeth said "I'm not going to say I am a better player, but perhaps my style of play doesn't suit Srikanth,
    Before the semifinals, I was expecting Srikanth to make the finals. I was only fifty-fifty about my own chances.No Indian likes to play another Indian in a tournament.We play each other all time in practice so there is nothing of each other's game that we don't know." .

Kashyap agrees with this assessment. "If you think about it, Srikanth should be the favourite because he has the better results and more experience. But when you play against a teammate, none of this matters. On paper, they are very different players. It should be exciting, but I'm guessing it will end up being an ugly match," says Kashyap.

"It's always harder to play your teammates. They have probably played each other hundreds of times over the years. You don't want to play your signature strokes because you know that your opponent can read what you're trying to do. So if you play a stroke, you know that it will be picked. It becomes boring for you as a player too because your favourite shots aren't winning you any points," says Kashyap.

"If you start making mistakes, it can become impossible to control the shuttle. Before you know it, you will start losing the match. I'm guessing both Srikanth and Praneeth will look to play cautious and practical, and make as few mistakes as possible," he says.

"As long as an Indian is winning a tournament, it is probably worth it."

Sundis and Airos like this.
  8. Baddyforall

Sindhu in an interview about her loss to marin in quarterfinals. , “I think it’s not my day. In the start, I think I gave her a huge lead and by the time I wanted to cover it then she finished it off right away. In the second game as well, I gave her a huge lead and by the time I came close there were simple errors on my side also. I think it’s not my day today.

Sindhu discounted the impact of fatigue in the result: “I think I am fit enough. When it’s just not your day, the strokes which are supposed to get points you just hit into the net. You just have to come back stronger and learn from your mistakes.

9. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

I am impressed that she didn't give any silly excuses for her loss. Good for her. It was apparent that she was not as quick on court as she was in India Open SS.

Devendra likes this.
  10. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, totally impressed.

Reading this interview makes me think that Sindhu will go far in her career.

11. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    I also have always liked that side of Sindhu. Glad to see that she is playing much more consistently these days.

12. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Hope Srikanth wins, he deserves it.

13. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

U-15 Junior GP 2017 Indonesia India take 2 Titles, 1 Runner Up and 3 Bronze Medals. :)

WS All Indian Final! Gayatri faced her doubles partner in the singles final!
    WS Champion Gayatri Gopichand Pullela
    Runner Up Samiya Imad Farooqi
    Bronze Kavipriya Selvam

WD Champion Gayatri Gopichand Pullela/Samiya Imad Farooqi
    Bronze Meghana Reddy Mareddy/Kavipriya Selvam

MS
    Bronze Vikas Yadav

#1633 badmuse, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  14. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Singapore SS 2017 India take 1 Title and 1 Runner Up! :)

Sai Praneeth India's most talented and skilful badminton player wins his maiden Super Series Title! He had many mental blocks but importantly never gave up and kept trying. This victory has come after many years of being in the wilderness. Indian MS will start believing in themselves and other players will be hungry for titles. Future looks good and we can expect Indian MS to raise the bar with each year. Srikanth Kidambi improved with every match and got his confidence back. He still has some work to do but he is on the right track.

MS Champion Sai Praneeth
    Runner Up Srikanth Kidambi

Airos likes this.
  15. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Hi guys. Hows things been here? Missed y'all a lot.

16. Baddyforall

How are you ?. Where had you been?

Nice to see you back.

17. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    M fine. Was around. Thanks. How are u? N hows things changed here?

18. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Hi Fan123 Good to see you back!

You will be happy to know that more players, junior and senior have started getting tournament exposure, specifically minimum 10 per year. Our long standing demand has finally been met. Across all categories MS,WS, XD,MD,WD better late then never! We will see the fruits of this decision 2020 onwards. In 2020, India will be title contenders in the Thomas/Uber Cups and can look to medals at the Olympics. Doubles will be improved but I think they will be strong by 2024. Any good performance before that is a bonus. :)

Indonesian Singles coach (Former coach of Taufik Hidayat) Mulyo Handoyo has been appointed along with some other coaches to help Indian singles players raise their game.

PV Sindhu has improved her net play, front court, court coverage and has started working on a little deception. Sai Praneeth has finally broken his mental block and taken an SS Title. We can expect all singles players to show a lot of improvement in a years time. Anything before that is a bonus.

Fan123 likes this.
  19. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Gopichand wants Sai Praneeth to work on his consistency.

Link:
    http://indianexpress.com/article/sp...s-consistency-says-pullela-gopichand-4615608/

Excerpt:
    Gopichand

...he has the quality but he needs consistency,” he added. Heaping praise on Praneeth, Gopichand said: “It takes a special character to win a tournament. Not many have been able to win that. I hope he qualifies for the Word Championship. In fact, Srikanth also have a chance.”
    He basically just worked and trained for last two months, there is nothing specific.
    “I think game wise he has many things going for him but he has to focus on his training. Post PBL, he has been training and it has really helped him.”

Praneeth turned a joke into a winning performance!

Link: http://www.espn.in/badminton/story/_/id/19171099/how-sai-praneeth-turned-joke-punchline

Excerpt:

Starting with an innocent forward in a WhatsApp group, comprising fellow Indian players as well as coach Pullela Gopichand, talking of his main draw entry, it rapidly turned into a light-hearted banter directed at Praneeth on the win he didn't have. Gopichand too was to mildly interject with a 'well played' jibe.

Playing another Indian in the final can be quite frustrating," says Praneeth, who with this win extended his head-to-head record against Srikanth to 5-1. "We're thinking exactly the same things and know where the other will place a shot.

"To be facing someone you've played a thousand times before, practiced with another zillion times, had meals with three times a day and are around practically throughout the day daily, in a match, particularly for a title, can be an exasperating experience. You have to abandon all your favorite shots because you can't get away with it against someone who knows your game inside out. Emotionally too, you're left confused since you're close to the person who's on the other side of the net. You just don't know how to react."

Cheung likes this.
  20. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Great Post. Thumbs up.

badmuse likes this.