India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

The harsh realities when a player lacks confidence and self belief.
    https://indianexpress.com/article/s...hyap-straight-set-opening-match-loss-9210726/

Excerpt: Aakarshi Kashyap
    “Most of us start strength training in our 20s,” she says, of a critical factor that is seeing an entire generation fall through the cracks.
    “Maybe we had the capacity to beat top names, but the exposure, self belief and confidence has just never been there,” she adds.

#5381 badmuse, Mar 16, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
  2. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Baddyforall likes this.
  3. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Devika Sihag earlier won the Portugal IS, Swedish IS and was Runner Up at the Estonian IS tournaments. Devika is 18 years old from Haryana trains at the Prakash Padukone Academy with Isharani Baruah. The list of WS shuttlers to watch is growing. In 4 years it's going to be tough competition for Olympic qualification. This is a good sign for the future as Indian WS regroups and builds.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...ck-titles-in-europe/articleshow/108401814.cms

https://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/player-profile/bd12cc8f-6305-45dc-b16f-d56a081ae58e

Sumanth99 likes this.
  4. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

She might say that she has strength to compete with top players, but she lacks speed. She will simply freezes when the opposition player pushes her to the back and plays drop shot, she wont even try to pick it. From her interview, I am feeling the heat in the national circuit. Now, after Anmol's phenomenal performance, it is now a big question mark whom they will select for the upcoming Uber cup in April. Hope they select Anmol for WS2 and Tanvi for WS3. Will they take risk?

5. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Aakarshi's main problem, she lacks confidence and self belief.

I think they have selection trials in April. Tanvi hasn't played any tournament since her injury in December. Tanvi needs to work on strength training and fitness. She has such a small and weak body frame for her age. Anmol is registered for the Kazakhstan IC in April.

Baddyforall likes this.
  6. Baddyforall

Thanks for the update. I want Anmol and Tanvi to step up soon. I am eagerly waiting for Kazakhstan IC.

badmuse likes this.
  7. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

As Swiss Open is going on, I just want to share my favourite moments of this tournament.

Sai Praneeth doing the unexpected and wins against Chen Long in magnificent 2 game victory. Have to say, that’s the best match I’ve seen from him ever. He lost to Shi Yuqi after winning first game in the final next night.

Also, special mention to forgotten player Sameer Verma for his exploits in 2018 Swiss Open. He beat the returning Kento Momota who we all know how he played for the next 3 seasons till 2020 Jan-Feb. Sameer won it beating Jorgensen in final.

rajat_remar likes this.
  8. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Great moments in Switzerland WC’19 as well

80plus and Baddie lover like this.
  9. Baddie lover

Very well said.

10. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Draws for Thomas/Uber Cup are out. India get "Group of Death" in both!

Thomas Cup
    Group C

Indonesia
    India
    Thailand
    England

Uber Cup
    Group A

China
    India
    Canada
    Singapore

BAI will only announce the team in April.
    One important factor to note. This is an Olympic Year, all Olympic bound Indian players may play within themselves and save their best for the Olympics. It's going to be difficult for both teams to progress beyond QF, if they take it easy they can falter in the group stage.

Link to other groups
    https://x.com/Statminton/status/1771126111889678766?s=20

11. 80plus

80plus Regular Member

Indian loves Swiss more.. Probably want to stay more days..
    Probably playing conditions(shuttle speed/drift etc) similar to Hyderabad's PGBA?

Sindhu's match against CYF.
    SAI's beat both Ginting & Christe.
    Both Sai & Sindhu used one new technical shot only during that time..Afterwards whole world practiced it!.

12. mohans

mohans Regular Member

No selection trials this time? BAI trying to protect players from Gopichand academy this time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

BAI has not announced how they are picking the teams yet. Selection trials worked for the Women's team and was a flop for the Mens team.

14. Baddie lover

I don’t see Indian women in group of death. Japan, Indonesia group should be the group of death. Indian men are in group of death, that’s for sure. Would be interesting to see the squads for both men and women.

15. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

India's women team is weak so it is the "group of death" for us. Treesa/Gayatri lost to an Australian WD pair in the Swiss QF.

16. Baddie lover

If you start thinking like this then every group would be group of death for us. Then “group of death” will lose its relevance. Anyway, to each his own.

17. Baddyforall

From my perspective, Indian WS players , i don't see anybody who play second singles will defeat player from China. So, why can't they give that place to Anmol Kharb to see how she is doing. From Malvika to Akarshi Kashyap, nobody can defeat He Bingjiao.

18. Baddyforall

Dont underestimate this Australian Pair, they played really well to defeat a Chinese pair in R32 and Indonesian 3rd seed in R16 and later they defeated Indian pair. I think Indian pair need to learn that smashing alone is not badminton. They did not have any variation . They simply kept smashing. But that too no variation. How could you expect them to win?.

19. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

IND pair allowed AUS pair to control the front and mid court. AUS pair was attacking at will. IND pair needed to primarily keep them on the back court with proper high clears and lifts. Many shots were intercepted at mid court and punished. I agree they need better variation, rotation and the basics were poor.

20. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

I would also like to see Anmol playing WS2 irrespective of win/loss. It's not clear if Tanvi is fit to play matches.
    BAI can retain the same teams as BATC, the women's team will be ok but the mens team has Chirag Sen.

BAI either selects based on BWF World ranking or has selection trials for players not in BWF top 16. We have to patiently wait till April to see how the team is selected.