India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

IIT KGP to develop training programs for Gopichand Academy focussing on players happiness
    Under the collaboration, IIT-KGP will also set up a sports academy in collaboration with Gopichand.

Country’s premier technology institute, IIT Kharagpur has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Pullela Gopichand Badminton Academy to develop research and training module for the trainees of the Hyderabad-based sports facility.

“The thrust areas of the collaboration include developing training programs by IIT Kharagpur focusing on happiness and well being for enhancing the quality of performance and resilience,” a statement from IIT-KGP said.

A delegation from IIT Kharagpur led by Director Prof P.P. Chakrabarti met Gopichand in New Delhi on March 30 in this regard.

“Players and coaches from PGBA will benefit from these programs. Further the coaches will also be trained on how to use that knowledge while training players.”

Under the collaboration, IIT-KGP will also set up a sports academy in collaboration with Gopichand.

“I am also very happy to know that a sports academy is coming up at IIT Kharagpur and looking forward to contributing to its development,” Gopichand said in the statement.

Prof. Chakrabarti added: “The academy would promote collaborative research related to happiness in sports in general and badminton in particular, and science and technology in sports training.

“The scope would also include joint monitoring and use of materials used in general and badminton in particular by IIT Kharagpur and Pullela Gopichand Badminton Academy.”

The collaboration is spearheaded by S.S. Rekhi, US-based entrepreneur and alumnus of IIT Kharagpur, who funded the Rekhi Centre for Science of Happiness at IIT Kharagpur and his company R Systems is the sponsor of Gopichand Badminton Academy.

Link : https://sportstar.thehindu.com/badm...y-signs-mou-iit-kharagpur/article26703578.ece

2. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Have you seen his talk? He did not talk about Subhankar dey, who came close to beat Victor Axelsen. But H.S.Prannoy lost in straight games.

3. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Subhankar Dey, Ajay Jayaram can also make an attempt to take the 2nd MS qualification spot. Unfortunately in India, we don't have a national training centre separate from any academy. It will take several years to move to such a system.

4. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Saina Nehwal losing round 1 is not a surprise as she has just recovered and is taking it easy. PV Sindhu didn't have a medical excuse to withdraw from the tournament. Sindhu will get time to train after the Singapore Open and we should see her play well in the Sudirman Cup. Srikanth Kidambi is now the lone survivor in QF.

Among the doubles pairs I was only expecting a good performance from WD. Ashwini/Sikki played well and should have taken game 1 or game 3 but faltered and wasted match points against the Koreans. I had no expectations from MD and XD. Sikki/Pranaav Jerry Chopra were actually supposed to be disbanded as a pair but for some reason Gopichand made them continue. I guess because there is no second pair with a high ranking ready to step up. Sikki/Pranaav are forced to play together, they seem to be losing on purpose to send a message to the coach. New pairs will only happen in the next Olympic cycle after 2020.

5. Baddie lover

Satwik/Ponappa pair is much better than Sikki/Pranav. It's unfortunate that Satwik is injured. He'll make his comeback in NZ WTS300 hopefully , so let's see if he and Ashwini can qualify for Olympics.

Regarding Pranav/Sikki, they had dismal results since long. I don't think they lost on purpose to send a signal to coach. That's very unprofessional and uncalled for. If they have any personal issues, that's a different case altogether.

6. Baddie lover

Yes, you're right he's not playing in NZ. Earlier, I read somewhere that he's skipping Indian open, Malaysia open and Singapore Open and try to come back at NZ. Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, he's a very important player for us at Sudirman Cup. Let's hope he becomes match fit and give his best.

7. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Ashmita Chaliha is playing in the Finnish Open IC. Ashmita knocked out the No.4 seed from Spain and qualified for the main draw. Shruti Mundada and Prashi Joshi also qualified. It's quite a strong field for an IC tournament.

#3147 badmuse, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  8. Baddie lover

Ashmita's play is a delight to watch. She's a rawer version of HBJ. She needs to be nurtured well and be given exposure a lot. She will be a nice addition to Uber Cup team. Also, I noticed one thing today that she's worked quite well on her fitness.

9. Baddyforall

M
    I saw her whole match. She was very raw. Her movement is similar to He bingjiao. Her backhand if quite good. I thought she would lose when she lost the game 1. But she fought till the end and defeated the most experienced Clara.
    She meets Sweden's Aswathi pillai today. Hope she crosses this hurdle as well.

Baddie lover likes this.
  10. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Ashmita Chaliha will become better if she gets 10 tournaments this year. She played a lot of loose shots and should look at finishing matches in 2 games. She has a lot to learn and time on the circuit is essential. I like her fighting spirit.

11. Baddyforall

Ashmitha Chaliha's backhand capabilities

@13.06

Ashmitha demolished Krishnapriya kudaravali. Krishnapriya herself defeated 8th seed in previous round.

I am looking forward to her possible quarterfinal against Portnip

Baddie lover likes this.
  12. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

PV Sindhu played worse than Saina Nehwal. Saina has the fitness excuse but Sindhu has none. Full credit to Nozomi Okuhara who played at a fast pace and was smarter during the rallies. Long hours in training is the answer, patience in the rallies and dictating the pace.

I agree with @Baddyforall , Sai Praneeth is now India's best MS player on current performance. A year is a long time and there is enough time for the other MS players to also raise their game. There is no clear No.4 at the moment with all of them playing erratically, I would like to see Praneeth and Srikanth picked for the Sudirman Cup. Indian MS performance at WC will give a clear picture.

1.Sai Praneeth
    2.Srikanth Kidambi
    3.Sameer Verma
    4.HS Prannoy, Sourabh Verma, Kashyap Parupalli, Subhankar Dey
    5.Lakshya Sen
    6.Ajay Jayaram

13. mohans

mohans Regular Member

You may see both being rested and HSP will lead the challenge. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Baddyforall

I think Sourabh verma's form is even lesser than Lakshya sen .
    And also Prannoy

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

15. Baddyforall

I found this video in Youtube , Sai vs Kento Momota in Indonesia Open 2013
    Kento Momota and Sai Praneeth both were extremely skilled and Sai came out successfull in this encounter with 22-20 in the decider. You can see, Kento Momota's game is more or less the same where as, Sai was very good physically at that time than now.

No wonder Sai came so close to beat Momota. Hope he improve his physical strength asap otherwise it will be extremely difficult for him to survive in this cruel world. :D
    Whenever i see him walking, i feel like a 90 year old man walking . So embarrassing to see him in such a way.

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

That is false. KM didn't even get into the Top10 in 2013, obviously he did indeed improve after that...while he is still same person and thus looks very similar on court, it's disingenuous to say that someone who played well against him then would have a similar chance now...

17. Baddyforall

Yes. He again played brilliantly this time with the same score in the decider but unfortunately KM was lucky enough to escape through. No worries. In future as well, we will see some close encounters between these two. Some players' style of play will be difficult for few but easy for others.

Sai praneeth's game is reduced to rubbles in recent years .At that time he was brilliant. If today's game of him is able to come so close to beating KM, i must give it to him. Either, he is working hard now or improving his fitness levels. He is one of the laziest person on the planet for a professional player.

#3157 Baddyforall, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  18. Baddyforall

"I just want to qualify for the Olympics. I think everybody’s goal will be that only. We have so many candidates from India in men’s singles, so it’s going to be very tough.

In women’s singles, there is only Sindhu and Saina. In doubles also there are only one or two pairs in each event. But in men’s singles, there is a big line. If any one person comes down, the other one climbs up.

I think I can get there if I continue playing well. The May-to-December period is going to be very crucial. By the time we reach February-March next year, it will be pretty clear who is qualifying.

At that time everybody will be under a lot of pressure and you could lose to smaller players. It happened to [Parupalli] Kashyap and Ajay [Jayaram] so you want to avoid that.

Personally, I hope to wrap up qualification before the Swiss Open next year. I will be defending a lot of points there after reaching the final this year. The next edition is going to be really tough as everybody will play it because of the Olympic qualification." Said Sai Praneeth

No wonder his hard work paying off. This is the starting. We will see him improve in the near future.

Baddie lover likes this.
  19. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Siyadath: Indian badminton’s man for all seasons
    Siyadath, 35, joined Gopichand in the mid-2000s, was there at the start of the Pullela Gopichand Badminton Academy (PGBA) and has been India assistant coach since 2010.
    OTHER SPORTSUpdated: Apr 20, 2019 10:32 IST
    [​IMG]
    Sandip Sikdar
    Hindustan Times, New Delhi
    [​IMG]
    Mohammed Siyadath Ullah with Pullela Gopichand

Excerpt:
    Now, Siyadath has been a coach for 15 years. In that time India have won two Olympic and seven World Championship medals among other laurels. He is often seen sitting courtside, talking to India players between points and during mid-game breaks. Siyadath is now the link man between chief national coach Gopichand and many shuttlers.

Siyadath also bridges the gaps between the players and foreign coaches. “When we are there, it is easier for them to understand the players. At times, if the foreign coaches say something which the players don’t understand, they tell me which I convey to the players. I also convey to the coaches the playing style and mannerisms of players, to help them understand the player better,” said Siyadath.

Gopichand also acknowledges Siyadath’s contribution to Indian badminton. “At 19 and as a junior player, Siyadath was part of my first group of coaches and he has been with me since. He has a good equation with all the players which helps. There’s friendliness which is important. His ability to share, support, devote time has definitely been a huge contribution to Indian badminton,” said Gopichand.

Link: https://www.hindustantimes.com/othe...all-seasons/story-DRW1vzDfR7y4PqHBqsepJP.html

20. Baddie lover