India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

My predictions against Malaysia
    MS - 65-35 in favour of India (KS vs LZJ)
    WS - 65-35 in favour of India (due to bad form of PVS and GJW can spring some surprise)
    MD- 60-40 in favour of Malaysia (Aaron/Chia against Shetty/comeback Satwik)
    WD- 60-40 in favour of Malaysia (Sikki/Reddy :confused:)
    XD- 70-30 in favour of Malaysia ( Goh/Lai against Reddy/Chopra).

As Satwik is coming back from injury , I won't have high hopes. If he would have been fit and match ready, then I would say the tie would have been in favour of India.

MS and WS have been inconsistent of late. I believe SN can do well against GJW but still Goh Jin Wei is a rising youngstar. No hopes from WD. And no hopes from XD as well as Satwik would play MD imo so Chopra/Reddy will play.

3-2 for Malaysia . And I'll be happy if they prove me wrong. Inconsistency of Indian team is very worrying.

Baddyforall likes this.
  2. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Yes, MAS still looks good on the paper to win this tie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Even I wished them to give more exposure to Sai praneeth in order to explore his new form.
    But, Sameer verma definitely earned it.

Sent from my SM-J810GF using Tapatalk

badmuse likes this.
  4. Baddyforall

Yep. When I wrote I forgot about satwik's injury. I still think, they overexposed tender satwik @ very young age for double duty . Is it not?.
    I wish him to play only MD.

Sent from my SM-J810GF using Tapatalk

Baddie lover likes this.
  5. Baddie lover

Absolutely. He was overused. Pretty alarming for us in XD and WD category. Sikki/Ponappa lost today in first round of NZO :mad:

6. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Link: https://indianexpress.com/article/s...authority-of-india-badminton-trainer-5704211/

‘Trained 33 international players, coaching is a passion for me’: Syed Mohammed Arif
    76-year-old Syed Mohammed Arif has seen the growth of Indian badminton from close. The former Sports Authority of India coach, who retired in 2005, still trains players at some of the badminton academies run by his trainees in Hyderabad and keeps track of his wards.
    Written by Nitin Sharma| Panchkula |Published: May 1, 2019 10:59:39 am

[​IMG]

76-year-old Syed Mohammed Arif has trained the likes of P Gopichand, Saina Nehwal and Jwala Gutta. (Express photo by Kamleshwar Singh)

As somebody, who is the first coach of former All England champion Pullela Gopichand, 2012 London Olympics Bronze medallist Saina Nehwal and 2011 World Championships doubles bronze medallist Jwala Gutta, 76-year-old Syed Mohammed Arif has seen the growth of Indian badminton from close. The former Sports Authority of India coach, who retired in 2005, still trains players at some of the badminton academies run by his trainees in Hyderabad and keeps track of his wards. In Panchkula to attend a meet of former coaches, Arif spoke with Chandigarh Newsline about his coaching days, his views on his wards Gopichand, Saina, Jwala and others, changes in the sport and the emergence of players like PV Sindhu and Kidambi Srikanth.

Excerpts:
    The last few years have seen the popularity of badminton rise in India. Apart from this, a lot of players too have come from this region, including states like Haryana and Uttrakhand. How do you see this development?

For a sport to be popular, one of the basic requirements is that it should be easily accessible. Badminton is such kind of sport, which all can play irrespective of the weather conditions and time of the day. The second and most important thing is the performance of Indian players at the world level. We had players like Prakash Padukone and Pullela Gopichand in the past, who had won All England Championships. But we could not encash it to popularise the sport. Saina’s medal in the 2012 London Olympics was a huge thing for Indian badminton and people started following the sport. The emergence of more academies means that youngsters get the right kind of training and develop the attitude required for the sport at a young age.

Talking about this region, players from Haryana have done traditionally well in sports like wrestling and boxing. These are robust sports and with right training, players can excel in badminton too. We have seen that with some of the Haryana players doing well on the junior circuit.

As a coach, you have worked for more than three decades. Who has been your favourite trainee and what are your memories of your trainees like Gopichand and Saina?
    If we talk about my favourite trainee, it has to be Jwala Gutta. She came to train under me when she was four years old. If not about her mischievous attitude for some times, she could have been the world champion in singles category. When we talk about Gopichand, he joined me at the age of 10 years and I did not see him as talented kid at that time. But he had the willpower to succeed and won because of his hard work. After the training sessions, Gopichand would ask me about practising for one more session and would ask to let him try jump smashes. In 1994, when he suffered the knee injury, many doubted that he will make a comeback. I met him at the hospital and he had told me that he will make a comeback. And he did that with the All England Open win.

Talking about Saina, she too made a comeback after the injury in 2016. As a junior, Saina would play in the senior category at the age of 15 years and she was the first junior player to defeat a player like Aparna Popat at that time. Saina would wait after training and would never say no to an extra hour of training when they were young. And that made them special.

How do you see the emergence of players like Rio Olympics silver medallist P V Sindhu and Kidambi Srikanth in recent years?
    Both Sindhu and Srikanth’s emergence happened at a right time for them and they were lucky to get the right kind of international exposure at a young age. For me, even Saina started a bit late at the international level. Players like Sindhu and Srikanth got their chances and matured with experience. The way Sindhu has performed in recent years is tremendous. She has won Super Series title, won medals in world championships and has beaten almost every player in the world.

There is not much of difference when we compare the top five-six players and it is all about consistency and adding new things to your game. The biggest example is of Chinese Taipei’s player Tai Tzu-Zing. She is a very deceptive player and relied heavily on her deceptive shots. With time, the opponents read her deceptive shots and started winning against her. One has to be creative and keep adding to their arsenal of shots.

How do you see your journey as a coach over all these years?
    In my career, I have trained 33 international players and my trainees have won 230 titles at different levels. Coaching is a passion for me. I come from a business family and nobody in my family was happy about me being a coach. But I worked on my basics and would read about various training methods. I would read books about stamina, meet marathon runners to know things about stamina and would come up with my training methods. These things helped me.

Whatever I am, it is due to my trainees.

Justin L likes this.
  7. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

HS Prannoy has improved since his last match. Prannoy was leading 11-6 in game 2 and 8-3 in game 3 and blew his leads in both games. Training is helping and he needs lots more training. Sai Praneeth was clueless against Lin Dan.

I will refrain from naming the 2 preferred Indian MS players until WC is over. We will have a better idea of performance by that time.

Baddie lover and Baddyforall like this.
  8. Baddyforall

Even me too. I spoke too early. Sai's game was torn into pieces by Lindan. I thought Sai has improved. But slow man like Sai cannot tackle game like Lindan's.
    I wonder who will grab the second spot.

Baddie lover and badmuse like this.
  9. Baddyforall

Satwik/Chirag is participating in the ongoing Brazil International challenge.
    If you ask me, even though they are top seeds, i feel like they are underdogs.
    Second seed Netherland pair Jelle Mas & Robin tabelling are the favourites.
    Let us hope for the best.

And also, We have 2 singles (WS and MS , U-15) in Indonesia junior international in semifinals.

badmuse and Baddie lover like this.
  10. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

India sends 3 MS players to WC as HS Prannoy misses the qualifying target. No surprises in other categories. The players who perform well, will be top contenders for the Olympic quota.

MS
    Srikanth Kidambi
    Sameer Verma
    Sai Praneeth

WS
    PV Sindhu
    Saina Nehwal

MD
    Manu Attri/Sumeeth Reddy
    Satwik Rankireddy/Chirag Shetty

WD
    Ashwini Ponappa/Sikki Reddy
    Poorvisha Ram/Meghana Jakkumpuddi

XD
    Pranaav Jerry Chopra/Sikki Reddy
    Satwik Rankireddy/Ashwini Ponappa

Link: https://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/ranking/ranking.aspx?id=20705

11. Baddyforall

From when did Karan Rajan Rajarajan started playing for Denmark?
    It's a news to me.

12. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

It must have been sometime this year. Independent players who struggle for support in India, make these kind of decisions.

13. Baddyforall

And Sourabh had a difficult Semifinal against him. 25-23 for him in the decider.
    Either his form has reduced or Rajan played very well !

#3193 Baddyforall, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    badmuse likes this.
  14. Baddie lover

I noticed this in Denmark IC. I think he switched allegiance around March-April.

15. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Team India breakfast Sudirman Cup

16. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Team India pic:

17. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Sudirman Cup 2019
    India's worst nightmare
    was losing in the group stage and it came true. Manu attri/Sumeeth Reddy have never played well in team tournaments, their odd victories have always been individual events. I hope Manu/Sumeeth are not considered for the 2020 Thomas Cup, and one of the younger pairs given an opportunity. Satwik Rankireddy/Chirag Shetty were rusty and played well in patches against the CHN pair, should have played against MAS. Ashwini Ponappa/Satwik did well to win their tie. India needed Satwik to play twice against MAS but unfortunately he didn't have the fitness to do so. Sameer Verma had an off day against Li Zi Jia and played well against Chen Long. I am hearing on twitter that Srikanth Kidambi had a "knee jerk". I don't know if this is a cover up by Gopichand or a minor niggle. India blundered in not having at least one reserve MS player in Sai Praneeth for any injury issues.

I don't see Gopichand taking any responsibility as he conveniently stayed away.
    Unless Gopichand looks at the Thomas/Uber Cup as an important tournament we might see similar results next year. Srikanth/PV Sindhu may want to prepare for the Olympics and skip the tournament. India's Uber cup team is too weak in WD and WS3.

18. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Sudirman Cup 2019: China proves to be a handful for tepid Indian squad
    Shirish Nadkarni May 22, 2019 20:29:17 IST

There was no miracle forthcoming on Wednesday from a listless Indian squad that expectedly went down without a whimper by a 5-0 scoreline to hosts and second seeds China in their second and final Group 1D clash of the 2019 Sudirman Cup badminton mixed team championship in Nanning.

[​IMG]

Saina Nehwal lost to China's Chen Yufei. AFP

Needing to beat the powerful Chinese by at least a 3-2 margin if they were to make the play-off quarter-finals at the expense of a youthful Malaysian side (to whom they had sensationally lost 2-3 on Tuesday), the Indians were never in the hunt, and managed to win just a solitary game in the long-drawn men’s doubles clash, while being beaten comprehensively in all the other events.

In fact, the defeat suffered by India’s mixed doubles nominees, Pranaav Jerry Chopra and N Sikki Reddy, in the opening match of the tie was positively embarrassing, and showed the wide chasm between the skills and mental approach of the two teams. China’s second pair of Wang Yilyu and Huang Dongping, ranked No 2 in the world, were ruthless in their 21-5, 21-11 demolition of the tepid Indian challenge in two minutes under the half-hour mark.

For the second day in a row, captain Kidambi Srikanth preferred to sit it out, releasing a statement that he had incurred an injury during practice. Those in the know were skeptical of the excuse, and felt it was strictly a damage control for the ill-advised decision of fielding Sameer Verma the previous day against the Malaysians, in what turned out to be the most crucial match of that tie.

Since there was no way that Srikanth would play against the Chinese after having ruled himself unfit, and with the Indians restricted in choice to Verma, since they had failed to take a third singles player (either HS Prannoy or B Sai Praneeth) along on the trip, it was the 24-year-old Dhar (Madhya Pradesh) native who took the court against the two-time former world champion, Chen Long.

The decision on China’s part, to rest their best singles player, Shi Yuqi, and field the reigning Olympic gold medallist had been widely predicted, since Srikanth, who should normally have played, had a winning record against Shi, but trailed 1-6 in career meetings with Chen. Against Verma, the lanky 30-year-old World No 5 was 1-1, with his only loss coming from a walkover he had conceded to the Indian at last year’s Hong Kong Open.

In the event, Verma did not play too badly, and certainly gave a far better account of himself than he had on the previous day against Lee Zii Jia. The Indian kept Chen on court for 71 minutes before reluctantly accepting defeat, and actually troubled the Chinese ace by taking a useful 14-8 lead in the opening stanza.

But when Chen turned on the gas, Verma was found wanting, and allowed his rival to catch up at 15-all, and then make a sprint to the tape. The doughty Indian kept on Chen’s heels right through the second game, and even caught up with his opponent at 19-all before losing the game over the extra points, with a 17-21, 20-22 scoreline.

China’s confidence that they were never in any danger of losing the tie became apparent when they fielded their second doubles combination of Han Chengkai and Zhou Haodong in place of their World No 2 pair, Liu Yuchen and Li Junhui, while India plumped for their best combination of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty. The Indians played their hearts out, and jousted with their rivals all the way, but could not prevent an 18-21, 21-15, 21-17 Chinese triumph.

With the tie lost 3-0, along with the evaporation of their quarter-final hopes, the Indians went through the motions in the final two dead rubbers. Saina Nehwal, who took the court in preference to PV Sindhu, did not look anything like her bristling self, as she went down tamely to Chen Yufei by a 21-12, 21-17 margin in just 33 minutes.

Ashwini Ponnappa and Sikki Reddy looked just as dispirited as they went down to Chen Qingchen and Jia Yifan at 21-12, 21-15, taking a minute longer for their reverse than Nehwal had against Yufei.

The host nation thus duly completed a 5-0 rout of an Indian team of whom much had been expected before the start of the competition, but who left their supporters disappointed and distraught. India had been ranked in the 5-to-8 bracket of seedings in the 12-team elite Group 1, but could not put it across against even Malaysia, seeded in the 9-12 bracket.

The dismal performance at Nanning invoked memories of last year’s miserable showing in the Thomas and Uber Cup team competitions, when the country had fielded outright second-string squads and failed to make any impression on any of the rival participating nations.

Former Indian national champion and Thomas Cupper, Vimal Kumar, who is now chief badminton coach of the Padukone-Dravid Centre of Excellence in Bangalore, had written after the 2018 Thomas and Uber Cup debacle that playing for the country no longer seemed to invoke the feeling of pride that would make the chest swell with patriotic fervour; and that these mercenaries now seemed to play only for the lucre and individual glory.

Link: https://www.firstpost.com/sports/su...ng-guides-south-korea-to-victory-6685131.html

latecomer likes this.
  19. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    The above post is one of the best in this thread. As a badminton fan, I am expecting better performance from team India. Hope they will do well in the future.

badmuse likes this.
  20. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Sudirman Cup 2019: Is playing for India no longer a priority for shuttlers? Disappointing performances leave lot to answer for.
    Sports Shirish Nadkarni May 24, 2019 10:52:11 IST

[​IMG]
    File image of India badminton player Kidambi Srikanth. AFP

It had been heart-wrenching for the Indian badminton supporter to see the national team go down by a 2-3 margin to a young and inexperienced Malaysian squad in a Group 1D tie on Tuesday, thanks mainly to poor selection policies. Captain Kidambi Srikanth did not consent to play, claiming an injury he suffered while training; and Sameer Verma was drafted in his place against the inexperienced 21 year old Lee Zii Jia, who himself had to take the place of the legendary Lee Chong Wei.

Despite making a dream start to their campaign by winning the mixed doubles against a stronger (in rankings) Malaysian pair, India failed to take the men's singles that was crucial to their chances, when Verma had a totally off-day against Zii Jia. The Indian think-tank also fielded Manu Attri and Sumeeth Reddy in the men's doubles in place of the stronger duo of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty, and ended up losing a match they had every chance of taking.

There was intense speculation on the reasons why Srikanth had not played, and on when he actually incurred the injury. Former national champion and Thomas Cupper, Vimal Kumar, who is currently chief coach at the Padukone Dravid Centre of Excellence in Bangalore, said, "It's unfortunate that we lost in the Sudirman Cup tie against Malaysia.

"The main disappointment was Srikanth not playing. If he was not fit, and this was known before the team left for Nanning, he should not have travelled. We were very clear about whom we were playing, and their strengths. We had no chance against China, but simply beating Malaysia would have enhanced our chances of getting into the semi-finals."

India had beaten a Malaysian side with Chong Wei in its ranks, at the Commonwealth Games at Australia's Gold Coast last year. The team sent to Nanning was bereft of Chong Wei and their top men's doubles combination, Tan Wee Kiong and Goh V Shem. It was a very young side, with an average age of 22 years.

But India queered the pitch with poor selection. Indeed, Vimal took one look at the team fielded by India for the second Group 1D tie against China on Wednesday, and snorted in disgust: "It's been done with the intention of gaining points for those who did not play yesterday against Malaysia.

"It's a sad state of affairs. They are not looking at winning the tie against China. Srikanth is definitely injured, and should not have made the trip to Nanning at all. They should have taken either (HS) Prannoy or Sai (Praneeth) instead of him. Even Saina seems to be carrying injuries."

Last year, when India were forced to send a second-string squad for the Thomas and Uber Cup, Vimal, who was then a selector, had slammed the absence of the nation's top players as "absolutely unacceptable" after losses to minnows like France (men) and Canada (women) in their opening two ties left them on the brink of early elimination. They were duly eliminated later by China (men) and Japan (women).

"It is absolutely unacceptable for players to avoid the Thomas and Uber Cups," he had said. "These are the most prestigious team events in badminton. I thought we had our best chances in the Thomas Cup, with two singles players in the top ten (Srikanth and Prannoy) and a very good doubles team, the World no 18 pair of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty. I thought we might have had our first men's team medal this time."

Srikanth, Rankireddy didn't make the trip, as the tournament had seen a host of Indian players pull out for a variety of reasons. Olympic silver medallist PV Sindhu and doubles specialist N Sikki Reddy were among the women players to withdraw. Sindhu gave lack of fitness as the excuse, while Reddy was down with typhoid, and could legitimately have been excused.

A fit Srikanth skipped the tournament expressing desire to miss a non-compulsory team event in order to concentrate on individual tournaments of the World Tour. Rankireddy had excused himself on the plea that he had to write his class 12 examinations.

It would seem that players are far more bothered about points and performance in individual tournaments than they are in representing their country in team events. Srikanth, Sindhu & Co have been seen to turn out almost reluctantly for the country, in a manner that is directly antithetical to how tennis star Leander Paes would carry his heart on his sleeve and play his best while turning out in the country's colours.

"We felt great pride in representing the country in international team events like the Thomas Cup," said 1965 Asian champion Dinesh Khanna. "Of course, in our time, such events were very few, so we looked forward to playing in them. Also, in our time, there was no money in the sport; we played for the glory of doing well for India. The current crop of players do not appear to have the same pride."

Khanna ventured the opinion that the pressure of playing for the country was vastly different from the pressure of playing as an individual. "In my opinion, Sameer Verma wilted under pressure when he found that his match was a must-win for the team," he said. "But I do feel that, if our top player (Srikanth) was injured, we should have had more men's singles players in the squad. Prannoy or Sai Praneeth should have been in the team for the Sudirman Cup."

Even if Srikanth was fully fit before the trip, it was necessary for India to take more men's singles players along, since the point from this particular event was crucial to chances of victory. It was bewildering to find that India fielded the bare minimum size of a squad — 13 players, when top badminton nations like China, Indonesia and Malaysia had 20-member squads at Nanning.

It is also hard to ignore the feeling that a certain amount of arrogance, indifference towards the concept of good on-court behaviour has crept into the mind of top Indian players like Srikanth and Sindhu. The reasons for this line of thought were outlined by veteran player Manjusha Sahasrabudhe, who has been a medallist for India at the World Senior Championships over the past two decades.

"I was witness to the attitude of both these players during the Super Series in Delhi, where I was a technical delegate," said Sahasrabudhe. "Sindhu was awarded a yellow card for arguing with the umpire, and ignoring his repeated calls to return to the court after toweling down in the middle of the match, and not during a break.

"Apart from that, at the finals of the India Open, Srikanth was wearing a shirt that was similar in colour to the one being worn by Viktor Axelsen. When the tournament referee asked him to change the shirt — which was a correct demand under the rules, since he was a lower ranked player but he told the referee that he had brought only one shirt with him, and did not have a spare. He was so careless and casual about it.

Link:
    https://www.firstpost.com/sports/su...ormances-leave-lot-to-answer-for-6693671.html

#3200 badmuse, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Baddie lover likes this.