India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Gayatri Gopichand ranked 1027 had a really good draw which allowed her to cross 4 rounds. Normally with such a low ranking you can expect a top 10 player in round 1 or 2 but Gayatri's first top 10 player opponent Cai Yanyan was in Round 5. Cai Yanyan had an easy match and wrapped up with a comfortable cushion in both games. WJC 2017 was an exposure tour for Gayatri.
    Gayatri is a very talented player and will have a rapid rise over the next 3 years. She and some other players will strengthen Indian WS.

U-19 Champions Amolika Singh and Malvika Bansod who earned the right to represent India in singles were denied. They will be disappointed in missing out. Future selection is going to get tougher with so many talented singles players and only 4 slots available at WJC.

2. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Lakshya Sen the first Indian into the quarterfinals! One match away from a medal! But Lakshya has had a difficult draw inspite of being a top 5 player. He is up against Japan's Kodai Naraoka one of the "Title favourites" in QF. There is a possibility he may not progress and win a medal. He needs to play a high level match with minimum errors. Otherwise he needs to perform at the senior level. Lakshya is improving and over the next 3 years we will see him get much better. Strength and stamina will be his main focus of improvement. :)

#2322 badmuse, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  3. India_badminton

India_badminton Regular Member

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

badmuse and India_badminton like this.
  5. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Link: https://thefield.scroll.in/854738/d...ng-ahead-despite-upset-win-over-lee-chong-wei
    HS Prannoy
    I am not thinking much ahead as I have done this before but couldn’t win the title so I will just look at the next match,”
    The basic plan was just to be ready for his speed and to be quick on my feet. He’s capable of playing fast at any time. I was sluggish at the net; he was getting a chance play the net and get the big hit. In the third, I didn’t give him that chance and that was the one thing that changed the match,”

I have extremely high respect for him (Chong Wei) – at his age he’s able to play at a high pace. I think he’s slowed a bit since his best years; but he’s still got the touch; only he and Lin Dan can play so well under any conditions,” he added.

6. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Saina Nehwal

samkool likes this.
  7. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Srikanth Kidambi affected by the long wait for the start of game 3. Luckily he didn't lose the match!

samkool likes this.
  8. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

India did not get even a medal in this world junior championships. There should not be any excuse.

Lakshya lost his stamina completely in the 3rd game. This should not be given as excuse. A match is all about fitness, technique and strategy.

Considering the amount of hypeness given to his talent, if you ask me, Siril verma did excellent even at a lesser age to Lakshya. He was 15 when he won silver medal at world junior championships.

It is going to be even tougher for Lakshya in senior circuit if he really wants to shift his focus to Senior circuit.

9. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

It's obvious you don't like Lakshya Sen and are happy to see him fail, though you are not ready to openly say it! I am happy Siril Verma won a medal for India. I support all Indian players from all academies and individual coaches. India needs both of them to do well. :)

10. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

See again. If at all , I don't like him, I would not tell my objection when he was not in PBL auction. First of all, you should not have doubted my support to indian players. Because , you know which academy I hate the most and the reason behind it. Siril verma is from that academy.
    But somebody said here that lakshya sen is way better than siril verma.
    Siril verma was unseeded when he won the silver medal. He defeated many seeded players to reach finals including Anders antonsen.
    So, please don't throw accusation on me.
    Cheers. I love the efforts you are taking to post every results of indian players. I appreciate @badmuse.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

badmuse likes this.
  11. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Zero medals was India's worst nightmare and it happened. India has not won a medal since 2015 when Siril Verma took silver. Even Satwik Rankireddy is without a junior medal but he has a bright future ahead in the senior circuit. Indian junior players are clearly behind the top countries in terms of fitness and stamina. Tan Kim Her also mentioned that India cannot compete with China, Japan and Korea in terms of speed and power in his recent interview to The Field https://thefield.scroll.in/854524/i...e-is-revolutionising-indian-doubles-badminton. Indian players take time to build their fitness and stamina, mental fragility is also an issue with both junior and senior players.

Lakshya Sen performed below expectations. In game 1
    he was confident and looked in good touch. In game 2 he was struggling with his baseline length and hitting clears out. He had a poor start and was always 5-6 points behind. Kodai Naraoka had negative body language in game 1 and 2.
    In game 3 Lakshya had negative body language and lost it mentally.

On the positive side Lakshya is only 16 and has time to become a better player. Different players mature early or late. He has at least 10 years to make something of his senior career. I am certain it is just a matter of time before he translates his potential and starts performing. Siril Verma also has time to become a better player. :)

India_badminton and Cheung like this.
  12. soami

soami Regular Member

India not winning a medal in Junior WC is just that. A problem for the junior circuit. IMHO as many unheralded players make lateral entry in the senior category and do well, as the number which comes through after the hard grind in the juniors.
    Siril and Lakshya are good players. But it would be even better for Indian badminton if we were to get someone like Srikanth in a couple of years. We have many Vermas, Jayarams and Prannoys who dont win the SS titles. With no insult to them, they are good but not world beaters. Siril and Lakshya are probably at the same level.

Aventus and badmuse like this.
  13. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i don't get what all the panicking is about. how many top 5 players and world champion/olympic medalists never won a medal @ wjc?

look it up.

done?

you're welcome.

badmuse likes this.
  14. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

I agree, many players perform at the senior level, without anything special at the junior level! Consistency is the biggest problem even for senior players like Srikanth Kidambi and PV Sindhu. Srikanth was in danger of losing to Korea's Jeon Hyeok Jin but held his composure. Srikanth and Sindhu have had many early exits in tournaments to lower ranked opponents.

It is too early to judge Siril Verma and Lakshya Sen, we will have a better idea 4-5 years later! We have to be patient as both players work on building physical strength, stamina and endurance. :)

#2334 badmuse, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Aventus likes this.
  15. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Thank you for helping with the big picture! Yes, many good players don't have a WJC medal! Lin Dan, Lee Chong Wei and many more including doubles players have an outstanding senior career with little too show as juniors.

Indian juniors take time to build fitness, endurance, stamina and mental confidence. It's not the end of the world if they flop at WJC. We have to be patient as they develop at the senior level, some slowly and some a little quicker. We have to look at WJC as an opportunity to showcase talent and match exposure. :)

Akin44 and Aventus like this.
  16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Aventus likes this.
  17. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

18. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Denmark Open SSP 2017 India Take 1 Title! :)
    MS Champion Srikanth Kidambi

Srikanth Kidambi was clinical and effortless in his victory.
    While the match turned out to be an anticlimax without a fight from Lee Hyun Il who has still recovering from 3 game matches. Srikanth wins his 3rd SS Title in the year and becomes the second Indian MS player after Prakash Padukone 1979 to win in Denmark. Srikanth now has 5 SS titles.

nilesh123 likes this.
  19. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

India has won 6 SS Titles in 2017. :)

20. Master

Master Regular Member

The proper logical think should be "Not all medalist at junior championships become medalist at world championships/olympic.

I would say junior champion describes the skills on each players and world champion/olympic describe mentality/determination bigger than skills the players have.

1. If the player have the best skills followed by superb mentality, it will give gold medal at world championship/olympic.
    2. If the player have on par skills with superb mentality, they will lose to anybody who have the best skill and superb mentality. Resulting in silver medal maybe.
    3. If the player have on par skills with on par mentality, they will lose to anybody categorized in both point (1) and point (2) above. Resulting in bronze medal.
    4. Drawing and other non technical incidents on courts give influence but not too much if the player well prepared before the event and have superb mentality.
    5. Wining WJC surely give a major boost for the player to continue facing their next badminton career. Failing to give another bright result in their senior time is another thing due to the player themselves couldn't maintain the momentum, their training habit & physical building, their characters and so on more about mentality.

India_badminton and badmuse like this.