How do you guys feel or do when people insult your sport?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by CkcJsm, Oct 20, 2008.

1. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

yep, i watched that match too...it was an interesting match of course..
    his fellow country men was fernando verdasco..of course i didnt watch the whole match for 5 hours..:D

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

God, even I felt tired watching them struggle through the match. It was a slugfest of the highest quality and exhausting proportions. If anybody watched this match, it'd be hard to make a case for badminton in the tennis v badminton argument.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

If that's the case, then I consider myself 10 times better than L. Armstrong. My $50 super old bike from Walmart is 10 times heavier and less power transform efficient than his super bike. :rolleyes:

And how she's going to explain the fact, that MJ being a basketball god, but can hardly make a team for baseball? I assume baksetball is 10 times larger than the baseball, and do not even have a bat to help??? :D

4. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    "Badminton Vs Tennis" is a lot like "Skiing Vs Snowboarding" in my opinion.

Anyone with any kind of balance can get on a pair of skis, and make it down a green run - just like anyone can pick up a badminton racket and knock a shuttle over a net.
    Tennis and Snowboarding on the other hand, are very difficult at first - you're gonna face-plant *a lot* for the first couple of days snowboarding.

However, once you're vaguely okay on a snowboard, riding in deep powder etc is really easy, whereas you actually have to be a pretty good skiier to make it look easy (one of the many reasons why snowboarding is so lame).
    Similarly, there's more depth to badminton, and a much greater range of shots etc to master than in tennis.

5. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Regular Member

Engineer
    Might be in the "Spiritual Mirror Effect", having a root word of BAD in the name. The FEATHERS in the SHUTTLE makes them FLOAT in SPACE that is constantly WHACKED and PLAYED, made them to Escape OUTRAGEOUSLY!:cool:

6. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    I have no idea what Pathfinder means, other that the first sentence. Can someone please enlighten me?

7. Pathfinder

Engineer
    No need of Enlightening, as the Action has been spoken and proven. Undertaking is part of the Dark Game.:confused:

8. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    And we complaint that the previous rally system is long, unpredictable,hard to understand, and make it tough for TV station to schedule TV coverage.Sigh...

9. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

:eek:Again Pathfinder, I have no idea what that means, unless you're just messing with me?:confused: Reminds me of that "Tai Chi Badminton" thread a while back where no one had any idea what the guy was rambling on about:rolleyes:...no offense, lol, I just don't follow what you're talking about...sorry...mostly, why are some of the words capitalized???

10. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    My brother was a tennis man :D, he migrate to badminton recently... And I can imagine xD... Since I'm pretty good defender and could return some hard smashes, his smashes were actually looking easy (Tennisman has power, but without wrist, that means nothing xD... since the direction has no variation). Instead I played him a bit :rolleyes: with some putting and make him running all over the court xD...

In the end, he said that Tennis requires strength, while badminton is a lot more tiring -.-... This game is a lot more complex xD.... (Long Live Badminton LOL)

11. Pathfinder

Engineer
    :eek:It did got you into a Grand Blurt and Superstition! Other than the first sentence marked with "", the following sentences with its further meaning was sold out innocently to space. Not messing with you Drop2it, just dealing with you, like the game and its FACTORS!:p

12. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Given that ... yes, a tennis match is really long compared to badminton. But tennis rallies are shorter than badminton (singles) that sometimes I get bored. They spend too much time resting before they serve. Their time outs are longer also.

13. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

A while ago I read a factual comparison of tennis and badminton. It took a few searches of the web, but here it is. Hopefully it will give you guys some ammo the next time a tennis player starts bashing our badminton. Note that this comparison was made before the introduction of the rally-point scoring system. I personally feel that the old rules made for a match that required a player to possess far greater stamina/endurance, but your tennis-playing co-debater doesn't need to know that!:)

"""""TENNIS VS. BADMINTON

Statistics Don't Lie

The speed and the stamina required for badminton are far greater than for any other racket sport. At the 1985 All England (Tennis) Championships, Boris Becker defeated Kevin Curren 6-3, 6-7, 7-6, 6-4. At the 1985 World Badminton Championships in Calgary, Canada, Han Jian of China defeated Morten Frost of Denmark, 14-18, 15-10, 15-8.

The following is a statistical comparison of those matches.

Time: Tennis, 3 hours and 18 minutes. Badminton, 1 hour and 16 minutes.
    Ball/Shuttle in Play: Tennis, 18 minutes. Badminton, 37 minutes.
    Match Intensity*: Tennis, 9 percent. Badminton, 48 percent.
    Rallies: Tennis 299. Badminton, 146.
    Shots: Tennis, 1,004. Badminton, 1,972.
    Average # of Shots Per Rally: Tennis, 3.4. Badminton, 13.5.
    Distance Covered: Tennis, 2 miles. Badminton, 4 miles.

Note that the badminton players competed for half the time, yet ran twice as far and hit nearly twice as many shots.

*The actual time the ball/shuttle was in flight, divided by the length of the match."""""

14. pussiii999

pussiii999 Regular Member

chef

Nice work there ..... very good reality statistic ..... thanks alot ......:D:D:D:D

15. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

CHALLENGE THEM TO A DUEL WITH COCKS. by that i mean a singles match :)

16. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Boy do I get a lot of them comments.

But when they say it is "gay"

I get ennoyed but I reply calmly saying -

If you can react to a 200+mph shuttlecock
    and finish the bleep test
    train for 8 hours a day like the chinese do
    do almost 1-2 miles in a match
    smash 150mph + at a minimum
    get to a shuttle every 3 seconds

then call the sport "gay"

Most people can't even hold a racket.

Sometimes I also talk about chen jin(My idol)

-orphan at 3
    -foster parents started him at 3
    -kept training
    -has played almost everyday of his life
    -trained in many military style camps
    -basicalle trained for about 6 hours a day from 16 +

and still hes not number 1

I don't know how people can have the nerve to say that to me.

There was this one really ennoying person who I eventually challenged ,

He had played a few times for a couple hours before

I then smashed every single shuttle that he hit infront of his girlfriend ;-)

HE WAS EMBARASSED! :D:D:D

Thats my pleasure, for you :D

(O.k just after I posted this , I saw the stastical anaylisis , sorry)
    (by the way - does anyone have a stastical anaylisis with the current rules in place)

#56 krisss, Feb 2, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  17. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

oh cool, may anyone link me to this match?

18. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    I'll give a racket to those ppl n let them run around the court like hell..till they say.."alrite,that's enough".Then i'll ask,how was it?Easy enough for u?..

19. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

I'm a badminton fan (and player) first and foremost, but I am also a big tennis fan (spectator only).

Since badminton changed to the 21 point rule, I'm really doubtful that Badminton is physically more demanding than Tennis.

These days, a 1hr match would be considered a very very long badminton game. And sure, it can be argued that the points can be more intense (and perhaps, under the old rules, on average more mileage is covered in Badminton in Tennis - maybe someone can confirm?). But on average, matches now last around 30 to 40 mins.

Now take Tennis Grand Slam tournaments. A quick match is 2 hrs. 3 to 4 hr matches are not uncommon. Nadal, played over 5 hours, then after a day's rest, played over 4 and half hours. Even Masters tournaments have matches that typically last 1.5 to 2 hrs. 30 to 40 mins is often not even enough time for a set.

In my honest opinion, I think those who argue tennis is physically more taxing than Badminton, NOW have a very strong case...

#59 badders2006, Feb 8, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  20. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

Under the OLD rules, Badminton produced some truly epic displays of endurance and will-power.

But let's face it, a big reason why Badminton is disrespected is because it can be played as a "garden pastime" and, at the most basic level. it's not hard to exchange shuttles over the net (compared to say tennis).