How do you guys feel or do when people insult your sport?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by CkcJsm, Oct 20, 2008.

1. micae

micae Regular Member

Student
    My gosh! my sincerest apologies! :eek:
    That's what happens when i read something past 2am!!!

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Thank goodness..

..you didn't suggest what the little kid is doing (see your profile pic)..:eek::p[​IMG]

#22 ctjcad, Oct 22, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  3. COOLEST

COOLEST Regular Member

:D he doesn't seem like the ignoring type

4. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

About a week ago, there was a "special school-assembly" at my school for.. 'high-achievers in sports'. One of them was my school's badminton team which owned up everyschool in the country. And then.. a short video clip of their 'hardcore' matches were presented. People diving around the court and smashing everywhere at high-speeds, sure changed the mind-sets of some two thousand people :eek:..

5. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    that's cool. what a good way to promote the sport.

i had someone from my club who's a student who told me that their school does not support their varsity team at all. And although their parents were willing to shoulder the tournament expenses just so their children could represent the school in various district/provincial/regional meet, the school principal was hesitant for the reason that badminton could interfere with the students' academe and that badminton is not a serious sport. Well, don't you find that insulting? :mad::mad::mad:

6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

thats cool, yeah?:cool::D:D:D
    i think that pics should be the answer for this thread question..:p:p
    hahhaa;);)

7. BadMNTN_abner

BadMNTN_abner Regular Member

student
    Im gonna give them my Evil Eyes!

I love Badminton because I love Badminton!

8. george@chongwei

hi there..
    welcome to the forum..
    maybe u can introduce yourselves in the introduction section there.

9. george@chongwei

oh, i just realised that u had created a thread there..
    anyway, welcome to the forum once again!:)

10. jwu42

jwu42 Regular Member

Histotech
    Calmly suggest them to join a game of badminton on the court and make them sweat a little then ask them how they feel about badminton now. We all love badminton and know what an awesome sport it is, there really isn't any need to justify ourselves IMO so the best way to correct people's ignorant belief is well, have them experience it.

11. mattyg2703

mattyg2703 Regular Member

Racket Stringer
    I hate it wen people say its a girls sport. I have a right go at anyone who says anything like that, but i have proved everyone wrong. After playin against these people on a singles court they realise its a good sport and admit they were wrong.

12. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    Ahhh!!!! I know why they call our sport sissy xD!!! Well, as you people can see...

Tennis : Maria Sharapova, even though she is elegant, you can see her really really muscular :p (Not Sissy)

Basketball : Aren't those Basket Girls Muscular too xD... (Not Sissy), well make exceptions for their cheerleaders though xD... They're lovely and sissy (Not the Basket girls, player)

Football : Muscular indeed and of course not sissy.

Archery : More muscle means more power xD...

etc

While as you can see, even the most muscular female badminton players is so minimum in muscle (pointing to biceps and triceps, since they're the most visible), they are so "model" looking xD... Proportional!

Sissy -> Sister

I'll call sissy's true meaning is lady looking, or siding more to girls.

Conclusion :
    Those guys call our sport sissy, because those ladies in their sports are not lovely (in fact lovely is also sissy) xD...

Let's promote badminton!!! LOL...

This comment is made for joke purpose, I played all those sports, so I know what their ladies are alike xD... There are some others more sissier sports in this world. But badminton is not a rough game, it's a fast game!

So, I believe those muscular friend of yours can't match your speed :p. That rules out the fact that he can defeat you xD... (Most badminton players increased in reaction speed, movement speed, and growing differently from rough games like soccer, amfootball, and basketball. I agree that those sports are stronger commercially, but I believe badminton is also in the hearts of many people, the fact is I know badminton even when I'm still in kindergarten :p, but soccer and basketball is more like elementary).

13. jennanjones

jennanjones Regular Member

Black Knight sponsorshipee
    urg. i get annoyed but then i just tell them to come to one of my practices and let them lead the ralliesfor a little while then start smashing like crazy :)

14. Plutoburn

Plutoburn Regular Member

When other guys say badminton is gay or sissy I simply say "Is that how others describe the way you play?"

15. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    People just don't understand that you have to be good at badminton before it becomes difficult. This is opposite to many other sports (hockey, american football, soccer, rugby) where the physical exertion quickly reaches it's peak, despite the player's skill level. When people tell me that badminton is a "wussy" sport, I just tell them that "any pair of idiots can pick up a set of rackets and plunk a shuttle back and forth. It takes real determination and will power to get to every shot when it counts." If I had the opportunity, I would challenge them to a game, and smash everything right at them!

16. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    i have a friend who's convinced badminton is far easier than tennis because of the difference in racket weight. (cos she is strong enough to swing a badminton racket but not a tennis one) hahaha

17. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Ahhh! Badminton vs Tennis. There's that battle again. I've had 10 sessions of tennis training. I stopped because somehow, it affected my badminton strokes. I never really got to the "hard hitting" level because I focused on control, thus, never really got tired in tennis. But did you notice that tennis players are good smashers? Does that mean that it's a harder sport? What's your say badminton enthusiasts? Do you find that an insult?

18. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

same thing happened to me. when my parent take to "parent sponsored physical activity", it is usually tennis, and that i completely lose my timing.
    As for the hard hitter part, its natural for them to hit harder because that is the way tennis is played. I don't find it insulting at all. It's all in good fun when they try to net drop but either let it pop up, or cant get it over. help me with net kills.

19. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    In the US a while back, I played against a few hard-core tennis players who would play badminton as a 'muscle-loosener' after working out in the club's gym.

Although they didn't say it to my face, it was clear they regarded badminton only as something a couple of notches above throwing hoops and frisbees ;)

They were all heavily-muscled and could smash extremely hard.
    However, three things stood out for their consistency:
    1. the smash was hit exactly like the tennis serve
    2. every smash was an angled smash (usually cross-court)
    3. they simply couldn't smash from the odd half of the court

The smashes, although powerful, were so predictable that I could easily pick them off with a drive or guide the shuttle to an empty spot. And each time I (nonchalantly) did that, they'd go: "How do you do that?"

I believe they are watching videos of Howard Bach now :D

20. pussiii999

pussiii999 Regular Member

chef
    today australia open semi-final nadal vs his country man ....... 5 hrs ++++++ what a duration ....... maybe why some times people like to think how hard can badminton be ....