Hong Kong Open results

Discussion in 'Hong Kong / Chinese Taipei / China Open 2003' started by Morten, Oct 27, 2003.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Zhou Mi seems to give most ppl trouble except for the ones who simply refuses to die and will expire Zhou Mi's energy store.

either that, or someone who is more offensive than Zhou Mi. Zhang Ning seems to be better on both fronts... ;)

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    actually, they have met 4 times in the last 2 yrs. with Gong coming out on top on all occasions.

i remember watching the Sudirman match live. Jun is a smart player and she rose to the occasion. however, the consistency and experience of Gong still prevailed. i don't know how much Jun has improved since then. we will find out tomorrow.

3. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    Definitely not, I'm a just an amature. :) The pictures are captured with Olympus 5050 (with a 2x telephoto converter added).

Actually I wanted to take some photos in action, e.g. when the player is smashing, but it is difficult with my current equipment. That's why you found only photos during serve.

4. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    It was the 1st time I saw yellow and red card in a badminton match ...

5. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    I put more focus on the match b/w Fu/Choi vs Sigit/Tr last night but imo JR's pair didn't play very well last night (hopefully JR doesn't mind I say this way).

JR still has another match to play today (mixed double) and I really hope they can do better (but they need to play against the Korean pair).

6. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    Zhang Ning is very impressive. I just sat behind her yesterday and watch her games. Sometimes I've an idea that you was playing "magic". :)

7. shuyi

shuyi Regular Member

Hi!

What time does the Semi-Final starting? Has it started?
    Anybody watching live on TV now?
    Can post some results? :D

8. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

WS SF :

Gong Rui Na bt Jun Jae Yun 11-9 7-11 11-7, I watch in TRANSTV Indonesia

Now play MxD, Kim/Ra play

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Jonas/Rikke, Jia You!

10. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

Kim/Ra lead Jonas/Rike 15-9

11. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

Kim/Ra win 15-9, 15-9

So sad, TRANSTV finished their Semi Final Live, and will come back to show Final Live tomorrow.

12. Zax

Zax Regular Member

badminton promotor :)
    latest results

See the new thread for the latest results

13. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    Those are seats reserved for VIP. However, as far as I know, only the final is full (the night session of the semi-fina is >90% full as far as I observed).

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I had to leave after the afternoon session. Man, you should have seen the queue last night outside. So many people waiting.

15. willie

willie Regular Member

draftsperson
    Hi, Cheung

How's the meeting with world champion?

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    He is a very accomodating person. However, I was careful to time our longer conversations to times after his games. The World Champion is very professional about his work.:)

17. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
  18. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    Sorry to ask an irrelevant question, but I might not get another chance to ask Rick this elsewhere; Rick, in some of your pics. there is a very large DOF, how did you achieve this without a flash (I presume you used a small aperture)?

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    From English source

China's Gong Ruina retains winning form in badminton's China Open

SHANGHAI (China) Nov 14 - Top seed Gong Ruina triumphed in the women's singles quarterfinals of the US$250,000 China Open badminton championship on Friday with a three-set victory over compatriot Chen Lanting.

Gong, also the defending tournament champion, was forced to fight hard for the 11-4, 7-11, 11-7 win, while second-seeded Zhang Ning, also of China, went down in three sets to sixth seed Xie Xingfang, 6-11, 11-8, 13-10.

Third seed Zhou Mi of China had an easier time, dispatching Pi Hongyan of France 11-0, 11-5.

Fourth seed Wang Chen of Hong Kong defeated Mia Audina Tjiptawan of the Netherlands 11-8, 11-5.

In doubles play, the first-seeded duo of Yang Wei and Zhang Jiewen of China defeated countrywomen Zhang Dan and Zhang Yawen, 15-12, 15-11. Second seeds Wei Yili and Zhao Tingting defeated Du Jing and Yu Yang, 7-15, 15-6, 15-5, in another all-Chinese showdown.

China's third seeds, Gao Ling and Huang Sui, had a walkover victory over Rikke Olsen and Ann-Lou Jorgensen of Denmark, while fourth seeds Tjiptawan and Lotte Bruil-Jonathans of the Netherlands fell to eighth-seeded Hwang Yu-mi and Lee Hyo-jung of South Korea, 15-11, 15-2.

In men's doubles, Danish first seeds Lars Paaske and Jonas Rasmussen defeated the English duo of Nathan Robertson and Anthony Clark, 15-8, 15-2.

Fourth-seeded Fu Haifeng and Cai Yun of China triumphed over Indonesia's Candra Wijaya and Halim Haryanto 15-2, 15-5, while the third seeds, South Koreans Ha Tae-kwon and Kim Dong-moon, fell to unseeded Malaysians Choong Tan Fook and Lee Wan Wah 15-2, 15-11. Cheng Rui and Wang Wei beat Sang Yang and Zheng Bo 8-15, 17-15, 15-8 in the final event, another all-Chinese affair.

In men's singles play on Thursday, top seed Chen Hong of China suffered a shocking defeat at the hands of former Danish world No. 1 Peter Gade.

Chen, the world No. 1 who has complained of injury, took a 10-0 lead in the first set but then lost his composure as the 11-seeded Dane found his game. Despite leading 14-6, Chen lost the set 17-16 then dropped the second 15-4.

Chinese world champion Xia Xuanze overcame back problems to win a three-set victory against Malaysian newcomer Lee Chong Wei, 17-16, 10-15, 15-12. - AP

20. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    Unless those digital SLR, the CCD of most digital cameras are very small which give very large DOF as a result.

In fact, you shouldn't (and can't) use flash to take such kind of photographs because it will affect the players. In addition, using flash cannot capture the actual atmosphere which yield poor results even your flash is powerful enough.