Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Mason

Mason Regular Member

This makes perfect sense to me

I have the device and it doesn’t move around and it definitely will force me to use the correct grip. Im going to use it in my warmups today !

2. visor

visor Regular Member

The only problem is that this bad habit of yours is compensated by the fact that you're quite muscular that you can force your power with physicality. If you're truly ardent in breaking this muscle memory to go to the next level, you're going to have be 110% committed to it and accept that you'll be going 2 steps back before taking 1 step forward past this plateau. That also means no games until you get this right, unfortunately...

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

3. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

I would advise to keep it on your racket until you always hit it with the right grip. It's far too easy to slide back, sometimes without even noticing. Until the bad habit is completely dead, anytime you slide back it cancels all the progress. You need to get to a point where the right grip feels like it's the default, like it's the most natural feeling in the world, and hitting with the wrong grip feels off, like you're straining to hit it that way. Like @visor said, this takes full commitment. And it also takes priority over other improvements.

Cheung and Mason like this.
  4. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I don’t have an opportunity to simply practice. 95% of the court time I have is games….

5. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Well the issue in keeping it on is the only shots I can play are overhead so that’s not practical

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Unfortunately if you're dead serious about breaking this improper habit, you'll need to do drills only for some sessions until it becomes the new normal for you.

Or if you can't, then when you play games you'll have to accept some lost points as your main goal during the games is to be constantly mindful of your grip and correct your stroke.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

SnowWhite, Mason and Cheung like this.
  7. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yeah this is what I’ll have to do and what I’ve been trying to do

8. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Do any of these look correct ?

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Look better than before. Quality of the video is not so great so can’t give anything more than just a general impression. The arm swing is less coordinated but that’s to be expected when you’re getting used to the new grip.

10. Mason

Mason Regular Member

thank you ! It definitely felt kind of funny but I know what I did to swing like that so I think I can duplicate it !!

That video is recorded at 1080p 60fps , not sure how i can make it better ??? Any ideas

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Why not use that slow motion feature that you used in other previous videos that you put on YouTube.

When are you going to film with the camera directly behind you?

12. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok record that way tonight

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Like badminton coaches in HK say, if a kid has played tennis first then tries to learn badminton, then forget about the kid learning badminton. It really is that difficult to change an overhead clear smash away from panhandle.

SnowWhite likes this.
  14. Mason

Mason Regular Member

There is no dislike button here but I dislike this !!
    Hahahahaha

Cheung likes this.
  15. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

It's a bit of a tragedy of badminton that innocent experimentation of beginners is detrimental to their eventual development should they choose to pursue it. Most people are unlikely to knock on the door of some big club with the interest of learning to play badminton. More likely, they wish to first find out for themselves if they even like it, or they want to have at least a little experience before joining a 'proper' club. So they'll get a court somewhere with a friend and start playing. Or they join a local group that doesn't always have a good coach. When they finally want to improve more and start to look around for coaching or a more established club, the damage is already done.

That's also why it's so easy to tell apart players who learned to play in their youth vs players who learned as adults. Regardless of the level of the player, the swing of players that learned as children will look far more natural. Partly because kids are more likely to be taught by coaches from the start, and partly I think because kids cannot compensate for suboptimal technique with muscle power. My dad learned badminton at 20, and while an effective player in his time, his overhead swing is rough. In hindsight that could also be part of the reason why the power in his shots decreased dramatically a few years ago, because it was always more from strength than technique.

visor likes this.
  16. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yep it makes sense to me !

17. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

Don't despair. It is possible. But it requires a commitment few people can muster. That's why we're so insistent about prioritising it and doing everything you can. The past few pages could seem like we're bullying you about doing it properly, but really, I think we are so insistent, because it really does take everything.

This isn't something to try out during a warmup, or do it one session, and then having a session off, and then focus on it again. It needs to be your sole focus.

The forum undoubtedly has helped you with your game, but it might be time to get a coach and instruct him that your only priority is fixing your grip. You need to have an extended period of time with continuous instant feedback i.e. someone tells you exactly when your grip is wrong immediately when you hit one wrong shot. Even if it means skipping clubnights. It is better to not play, than it is to play in a situation where your grip is allowed to go unsupervised. Without these extreme measures, it is too easy to slip back without even realising. And unfortunately, the forum can't provide this. When you go a session where the coach is not correcting you, you know your grip is fixed. And once that happens, it will probably be correct forever after. It might take a few sessions. It might take weeks. Less time between coaching sessions is better, but it could get expensive.

Now it is completely acceptable to be happy where you are and decide that the needed commitment and effort, for an uncertain result, is not worth it, but naturally we want to try and help you improve.

visor likes this.
  18. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I follow you, I think the closest real coach is in Canada, I live in Buffalo New York. Financially I have no issue paying for a real coach

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

My geography knowledge of the US is absolutely appalling. Out of curiosity, I just looked up Buffalo on the map and only now realised New York is also the name of a state….facepalm moment.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I went back to 2018 (page 5 of this thread) and found this post. It shows your right forearm angled backwards and I advised getting it vertical. I notice you still haven’t got it quite vertical and wonder if that’s also partly affecting your ability to lead with the right elbow and then do the pronation.

Mason likes this.