Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

lmfao

2. sen

sen Regular Member

With the babies shwoing consistent form and Fajar/Rian doing well, it is hard for minions to reach top 8 ranking and among the best 2 rank Indonesian pair to qualify for Olympics(considering Gideon also still unable to reach his pre-injury level), I think it is even easier for them to break up and play mixed double and qualify for Olympics although I think it is also difficult for either to win medal in mixed double

3. Benarc

Benarc New Member

Impossible to separate them, they're contracted as a double as yonex brand ambasador. Kevin needs to improve his back court player if they want to qualify to paris. Imho

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Lucan likes this.
  4. Lucan

Lucan Regular Member

Badminton Unlimited: Marcus Fernaldi Gideon Part 1 & 2. BWF social media admin Zong Yenyen said that recent Badminton Unlimited segments are now in the hands of the right holders to publish. Marcus’ segments are in SPOTV. The rest of his segment will be published later.

A glimpse of Marcus’ every day life, his family, his badminton academy, his pets, house, etc.

(The media display seemed to be blocked to this forum by SPOTV, but the link to the YouTube vids are working just fine)

Wish him to recover well. He’s injury prone (over the recent years: ankles, abdomen, neck, shoulder, thigh, knee, etc). Currently is still struggling to find his form after surgery and then suffering another abdominal injury in Indonesia Master. Will be difficult, because now every opponent keep targeting him and he lost majority of his power and agility (age factor is undeniable and he’s not an exactly a backcourt player to begin with).

Yeah he’s still has the spirit and ambition but unfortunately those aren't enough since other factors are not on his side. The usual way to counter them (targeting Marcus, hold Kevin at the back and prevent him to be in his zone) is very successful these days. Kevin is also yet to find his form again and his touch is rusty.

Herry IP recently asked about breaking up the Minions and he dismissed the idea because it’s still just the beginning of the year, Marcus is just got injured again and they have their sponsorship contract.

Personally I don’t mind breaking them up, it’s inevitable, but I don’t think it would happen anytime soon.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

INA fans thought that Kevin would get married last year until people remembered that many Chinese Indonesian family have tradition to not have siblings wed in the same year. Valencia’s sister got married with a member of another conglomerate family last year. The memes and online jokes about it were hilarious. But now, apparently Kevin’s wedding is close because their friends already giving hints and Minion’s fans club admin who usually got invited to Marcus and Kevin’s events already preparing some wedding gift.

Based on the talents, places and everything involved, the wedding and receptions will be beautiful and unusual for badminton athletes but I hope after the dust settles, Minions will refocus to regain their form. They need to work real hard if they want to be qualified for BWC. They don’t even have 10 tournament points counted yet.

Jojo is also doing some pre-wedding photo shoot sessions, so he’s also a soon-to-be groom. Time sure flies fast.

5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    This pair is now history. Too bad. Too many young pairs coming up. Ardian Alfian will be leading to OG. The rest will have to fight for it. ;)

Suilven likes this.
  6. Lucan

Lucan Regular Member

Today, 23rd March of 2023, Kevin is getting married in France with his wife Valencia Tanoesoedibjo.

Congratulation, wish you the best for the new journey.

Holy Matrimony was held at Le Meurice Hotel, Paris and the reception will be at the Château de Vaux-le-Vicomte, Maincy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fajar and Rian are his groomsmen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deri Destan of PBSI also there.

[​IMG]

Marcus isn’t there, but congratulate them in his IG. Pity, if Kevin wasn’t ill and still participated in the All England, Marcus would be there. But he has a newborn baby now, so flying aboard for an event outside his job wouldn’t be that easy.

Another reception will be held in Jakarta, possibly at the Park Hyatt Hotel Jakarta, which is owned by the Tanoesoedibjo family. Now, I want to see amusing pics or footages of badminton players wandering around among members of INA elite affluent society, tycoons/moguls/business giants, politicians, and celebrities at the Jakarta reception. The President of Indonesia went to the recent Valencia’s sister wedding, so he probably would also be there.

Habisin-Habisin, visor and nokh88 like this.
  7. Lucan

Lucan Regular Member

More from the reception feat Fajar and Rian:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kevin crying:

Excerpt of Fajar and Rian giving speech (and quoting some lines from INA band’s song):

Kevin and Valencia laughing and ‘bullying’ their friends.

[​IMG]

Groomsmen with Kevin’s father-in-law:
    [​IMG]

Fajar captured some of the grand fireworks at the party:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Indeed an unusual wedding for a badminton athlete that maybe won’t happen again in the near future.

Marcus’ 3rd baby, Jesslyn Frederica Gideon:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And kinda funny/sad that the biggest news about the Minions so far in 2023 is about Kevin’s wedding, Marcus having a 3rd baby, their injury and illness and unfortunately not their tournament results. But be happy, rest and recover Marcus/Kevin.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I didn’t realized that this wedding ignite that much of public interests but I should have known considering the attentions they had been received despite both aren’t celebrities. Also controversy after controversy currently happens in Indonesia about state’s officials amassing questionable wealth beyond their means and flaunting it, causing many of them under fire and got investigated. But because of Tanoesoedibjo family’s reputation and stature, Kevin’s lavish wedding didn't catch flack.

So many comments online from positive, joy, funny to salty, jealousy, hatred and everything in between. And of course, INA loves religion talks. Any religion talk. The matrimony was held in Christian Protestant way (Valencia’s) at a hotel instead of a catholic church they had been hinting at, so there are people debating over Kevin’s current faith in Catholicism. I mean, it’s not our business.

Kevin himself is already quite a well-known figure in INA for an athlete, and him marrying someone from elite INA family like the Tanoesoedibjo clan (or popularly shortened as ‘Tanoe’) and becomes part of that family is just enhancing the talk. I even consider this more noteworthy than Amy Gumelar and Taufik Hidayat’s relationship (although AG&TH has more WTF drama) therefore a very rare thing in the badminton scene.

Agum Gumelar is rich, was a military general and a former INA minister but Hary Tanoesoedibjo is a billionaire tycoon-politician (who owns his own political party, media and real estate companies even owns a special economic zone in the country) thus way wealthier and nowadays has bigger influences. Not to mention that internet and social media presence is way bigger now. Thus, inevitably will ensure Kevin’s future appearances in the media and public consciousness.

Also context for people outside of Indonesia and bits about this relationship and why it grabs attentions in INA social media.

The Tanoes aren’t the richest family in INA but as a media tycoon, many rich and famous people including top celebrities are working under his companies. Also, because of their jobs, family members often seen on media by public in effortless glamorous way (but still maintain their private, distant yet exclusive image) with high level professional life and high level education even multiple degrees from international reputable universities. All of the family members are CEOs. Those things combined ended up sort of glorify them in the eyes of INA public as one of the most famous elite INA family. It’s very common that in social media people humorously wishing to be a family member, married to one of them or having even tiny part of their assets.

That’s why when this relationship made public, it gathered such interests. Even journalists, from legit to gossip trashy wannabe reporters posted about it so it goes beyond just badminton INA fans circle. On the negative side, many many INA netizens who love to bully and attack had many moments that they can use to pour their hatred into. I didn’t follow their relationship as close as many INA fans or shippers, but this relationship is a very rare occurrence so I heard stuff there and there whenever I search for some INA badminton news.
    I didn’t even know about their engagement until BWC 2022 because of the media report.

This relationship is far smoother than any of INA fan’s expectation. I heard about this relationship first when I was looking for info of Minions from early 2021 after Kevin got COVID and they didn’t go to the Thailand tour.

Many INA fans thought that the relationship won’t go far. Several mentioning about INA athlete Denny Sumargo’s failed relationship with a member of an elite family and a granddaughter of businesswoman Kartini Muljadi, Dita Soedarjo. It ended because of some scandals and the lack of Dita’s family blessings. It’s also common that rich people, even if they’re far below of Soedarjo/Muljadi or Tanoe’s level, are picky with their future in-laws and only accepted people they perceived to be at their level or better be, beyond.

Valencia’s younger sister recently married a successful, Harvard educated businessman from another bilionaire elite media tycoon family. Another sister married an investment banker who is also a CEO of ten different companies. Basically the in-laws typically aren’t someone like Kevin.

Kevin is rich especially by INA standards. Taufik Hidayat in a podcast spilled that Marcus and Kevin got at least $ 1 million from Yonex each year. But definitely not comparable to any elite family. The gap in their wealth and status is huge. I mean, you can see a small glimpse of Valencia’s wealth here (also a small peek of Tanoe’s house. They owned huge houses and buildings in multiple countries, but this is their main Jakarta house).

But it went well. To the point that her family put more interest in badminton and brought BWF airing rights, sponsored Bali tour and even Valencia’s uncle’s company started to sponsor Indonesia Open after Djarum’s devastating departure.

I can’t help but recalled that at some point in 2020 Kevin was involved in some cringe social media argument fiasco because at the time he was close with a popular TV actress and said actress’ friends and another guy (she was also close with) publicly insulted and ridiculed Kevin. They bragged about that guy’s riches, price of his vehicles, called Kevin below their level, deluded, ‘uneducated’ and insinuate that Kevin is a social climber.

The actress’ mom said to prefer the other guy (also named Kevin) because he’s supposed to be a businessman from a rich family. That actress didn’t even tried to defend Kevin. That incident irked me because of how low some INA people are still viewing athletes, even one of the most successful ones. Jokes on them, Tanoe family is by far way richer and that actress works for one of Tanoe’s TV station. Pure comedy.

The bottom line is, I don’t think an INA badminton athlete with this type of relationship and oomph would happen again in the near future.

Both are from different worlds but they got their blessings and I truly hope their marriage would last. Kevin himself said that he wants to marry only once in his lifetime.

I don’t follow this relationship closely but it’s nice to see that it at least reached a happy point for now. Just braced for annoying noises of those who will say that Kevin is spoiled and demanded he should retire and enjoy his wife’s family wealth every time he underperforms.

Now I hope both Marcus and Kevin recovered well and get back to their better form. Work harder (and I mean, please work harder) because the future is tricky for The Minions. They’re still my favorite current INA MD pair. I think they will get separated in 2024, after the current Yonex exclusive contract ends.

#6527 Lucan, Mar 26, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
    lurker, Habisin-Habisin and Dangho like this.
  8. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Hard to see Kevin/Marcus qualifying for Paris… especially since they’re not qualified to play the World Championships and are also a long shot for WTF. Gotta win a bunch of World Tour titles for it to be believable

9. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I was sad to learn that Hoki and Kobiyashi beat Sukamuljo Gideon 15 and 17

10. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Whoops Minions out of IO. There goes their Olympic hopes. I believe now LeoDaniel has 1 spot locked. Another one is between Fajri and AhsanHendra.

shockwaves in media indicating their pull.

11. Habisin-Habisin

Habisin-Habisin Regular Member

Marcus Fernaldi Gideon and Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo have withdrawn from Indonesia Open 2023.
    It seems their chances of competing in Paris is fade away.

12. Jtcjw

Jtcjw Regular Member

I think this pair is over. Bad attitude on the court; very different from the Daddies. And there are more younger and stronger players.

13. lurker

lurker Regular Member

nice read!
    I wonder if the fire to perform on court has faded much with his new jump to the top of the food chain now.
    With such a family, there is much more to worry about!

*p/s I watch too much soap dramas :D

Lucan and Cheung like this.
  14. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yeah his in law is a billionaire so you can say he will at least inherit 100Mill in assets, managements, etc. What can we say if the fire is gone?

lets enjoy their show till 2024 since they have exclusive contract with Yonex. If we're lucky, we can still see them play in SF and Fs

15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Which pair is their replacement?

16. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Sometimes , honestly i feel they are making themselves worst than they are with their attitude.

Gideon body language and sulking is v bad, its like Tunjung body language 1-2 years ago. But he is world breaker , 4 years WR1 , titles after titles. He doesnt have to behave like that its v irritating to watch.

Kevin with his frustations - I also think no badminton junior player can play with him right now.

If they realise it they arent that bad, they can beat Korea pair. Im thinking they can still be top 10. Rather than spending pointless energy sulking, they can do better being focused and points wise. When after few points down, it make then become hopeless they arent going to win.

17. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

#Popovbrothers

nokh88 likes this.
  18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Thanks.

19. Lucan

Lucan Regular Member

Herry IP said that the Minions will be broken up due to Marcus’ imminent another leg surgery (now, his right foot). Yet to be finalized and no word yet that it’d be temporary or permanent. No peep about Yonex’ exclusive contract stuff, because breaking up might cause some issues.

There it is, the thing that many people are keep asking for and personally for me, unfortunately necessary for the current situation. For me they’re already an iconic pair, regardless of their track record in major events. At least they raised the Thomas Cup together at the highest podium.

I still remember when they caught my attention during the 2015 SEA Games and later, China Open 2016. Good memories.

While Kevin’s future partner is yet to be seen, I’m pretty sure that none of the current established pair (Fajar-Rian, Leo-Daniel, Pramudya-Yeremia, Bagas-Fikri) will be broken up for the matter. One thing for sure, the race to OG 2024 is getting harder and harder by day for either of them (Marcus and Kevin). Just not too long ago, they actually led INA MD’s race to OG point count even while underperforming. Sad, their road to OG always botched for whatever reason, kinda like Momota.

Speedy recovery, Marcus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the other hand, Kevin-Valencia‘s wedding celebration events were still being held up until this week.

Indonesia’s President Joko Widodo and Minister of Defence Prabowo Subianto attended the civil registration ceremony as witnesses several weeks ago. Both were the final rival of the last INA presidential election, so their attendance sprouted some funny memes.

[​IMG]

Then this week they held series of wedding celebration in Jakarta, with a Tea Ceremony (a Chinese tradition) and two nights of wedding receptions. I thought the receptions would be in the Park Hyatt Jakarta’s main building just like the tea ceremony, but of course The Tanoesoedibjo family build a brand new luxurious glasshouse building with multiple ballroom halls for the occasion (although they’ll monetize the building later). INA rising big stars under Tanoe’s company and INA legendary band Sheila on 7 (who many athletes love and whose lyrics Fajar quoted during his groomsman speech at Paris) were performing, also featuring singer Ronan Keating.

And I never thought that I’ll see a wedding of a badminton player covered by The Vogue France. There’s a first time for everything, I guess.

After the wedding of their dreams at Le Meurice in Paris, this Indonesian couple had their reception at the château de Vaux-le-Vicomte

[​IMG]

All of current INA MD pairs and other available PBSI athletes (Vito, Jojo, Gloria, Praven, Melati etc), coaches, PBSI and PB Djarum personnel, President Director at Djarum Foundation Victor Hartono, former PBSI journalists and even BWF photographers Tang Shi and Erika Wyatt Sawauchi also attend the 1st night of Jakarta party.

Everyone seem to be still in very good relationship. Kevin also invited Marcus’ family including both of his parents. At least they have another good memory together before the Minions’ separation.

Wish all the best for both in the future.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apparently Hendra Setiawan and family made a vlog about the 1st reception night:

Also, Ginting and Gregoria got engaged to their respective partners. Congrats!

#6539 Lucan, Jun 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2023
    Cheung and samkool like this.
  20. Lucan

Lucan Regular Member

Thanks! :D

While I can see why it could be perceived that way but from little of what I’ve known of Kevin so far, I think he’s getting more eager and has more ambitions to prove himself. Hence his recent agitation-irritation and visible disappointment. Especially because he couldn’t perform like he used to and combined with Marcus’ further decline.

And personally, if that eagerness actually true, then I don’t think those would translate well on court. Too eager and wanting to achieve something so bad in sports aren’t always a good thing if affected your mind negatively.

Soap drama indeed. I thought that Taufik Hidayat stuff would be it. Now Kevin-Valencia more than a decade later is even crazier. Let’s see who’s next.

--------------------

Also, LOL I scrolled Twitter and found this.

Sometimes Kevin promotes his Japanese BBQ restaurant by being a surprise server. I vaguely recalled that he launched this restaurant with his celebrity friends not too long ago. Marcus also has his own restaurant business and just opened a new branch. More things to care for, but good for them.

#6540 Lucan, Jun 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2023