Gao Ling... who else hates her?

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by BoboTheBadder, Aug 23, 2005.

1. littledumbduck

littledumbduck Regular Member

dude, i don't even know what you're talking about anymore...
    :confused:

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    All I am saying is that it's reasonable for all players to have a common understanding. At least a rudimentary knowledge of English to understand what the multi-national IBF officials are trying to communicate to them at times. If not English, then what language for the international community to use?

3. Vtec101

Vtec101 Regular Member

Printing
    I would think it's up to the players themselves whether they want to pick up english or not, but I think they should at least be able to speak a bit of it. These people travel alot and as someone said, most people speak english as a second language. Take Formula 1 racing for instance, all the drivers speak at least passable english, though some have heavy accents, so that they can do interviews.

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Look at the U.S. backyard, their own sports NBA, MLB and even NHL have international players that speak English. Granted, they all live in the U.S.(hehe), but they must've be able to communicate in some reasonable fashion in English, so as to market themselves..

Point is, if it's an international sport, then the players must be able to speak some English..And English is an international language..

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

OK....i'll take it for what it is.. :p ..just sounds a bit different meaning than what you typed in your earlier post.. :p ..thx

6. w3wmfhe

w3wmfhe Regular Member

maybe everyone should learn how to speak spanish...it is one of the language used more than any other countries:p:p:p:p

7. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    Gao Ling was very nice at WC 2005 to me!

I may be late on this post, as I just got back from Anaheim yesterday, and only got to reading Badminton Central today. I actually met Gao Ling outside at the Yonex table. I was nervous to ask for a photo so my girlfriend went over and asked if she would pose, and she did. She stood with me for two shots, and they screwed up. She went back to her shopping, while we fixed the camera problem, and then she posed a third time for me. Very friendly, very nice, and I love her smiles on the court. Don't know what happened to you that day Bobo. Sorry it didn't go well. I would post the photo if anyone wants, but I don't know how to.

Cory

8. ggsam

ggsam Regular Member

I think the culprit here is team leader LYB. He even condemn those chinese player who represented other country

9. ggsam

ggsam Regular Member

I do believe china players are all equally friendly, but sometime they must obey 'rules' order by superior

10. sac_man

sac_man Regular Member

Engineer
    Gao ling who else hates her ?

Wow!, I saw her she seems very friendly, why do you guys take it so personaly,
    I saw Chandra walking in the building, no one around him by the elevator, I knew he was getting ready his game, so I didn't want to bother him, we exchanged smile, and I walked away.

I noticed that European or english speaking players are more pleasant to talk to, don't get me wrong, they all are friendly in their own individual way.

I saw Joko Suprianto after authographed a T-shirt, gave it back without even looking at person who requested it. I considered that was very rude..
    Is Joko a rude person, I hope not, but I think it's culture things.

Like other post mentioned that since they are International caliber players,
    I think it's important to trained the players in
    - Basic etiquette ( the do's and Don't of the host country)
    - handle interview
    some players were asked about their game plan, instead of responding to the question, they were talking something which was irrelevant and
    Some translators were so bad I hardly understand what was said

11. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

I approached her once at the WC03. I never approach players before their match or even during their warm-down afterwards. She had finished her matches earlier in the day and was chatting and laughing with her teammates. As she got up to leave, I approached her at the bottom of the steps and asked for a photo with her.

I must have taken all of 10 seconds of her time, as my wife had the camera ready when I asked. But she still didn't smile or even look at the camera. So my only photo of me with her is of her staring off to the side looking annoyed.

I still think she's a great player, but I'm no longer such a huge fan. The players are only human and all must have their good days and bad days. I'm sure she has more good ones than bad.

Have to agree with the post about Sigit, he is really gracious and polite.

12. OTFK

OTFK Regular Member

engineer

13. OTFK

OTFK Regular Member

engineer
    Real Universal Language

IMO, the real Universal Language is numbers. Everyone know what is zero.
    Fast3r is right, Mandarin is the most widely spoken language (a billion Chinese speaks it in China alone).

14. OTFK

OTFK Regular Member

engineer

15. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

That was her? Most of the Danish fans and players sat in the section right across the arena from me, so I couldn't tell. I only saw Kaldau and a couple of the Danish coaches sat in my section once.

Was Kamilla also the one doing the "charge" trumpet call? I knew it was a woman, but I couldn't see who she was.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    haha. you should tell her she needs to lose some weight... ;)

17. OTFK

OTFK Regular Member

engineer
    Also, the umpire uses a colour card to give warning. The service judge uses signal to show service fault. Is able to speak English really that important when playing top level badminton? If it is that important, may be IOC needs to have an English qualification exam before letting anyone plays in the Olympics. For those who fail the exam, they cannot participate in the Olympics - but they can play in other tournaments. What do you think?

#77 OTFK, Aug 26, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  18. OTFK

OTFK Regular Member

engineer
    I need to clarifiy. The Kamilla that I was referring to is the Kamilla (forgot the last name) playing in the XD and WD during the WC 2005 - NOT Camilla Martin.
    Yes, she was doing the "charge". She was yelling the "da-da-daduda" and the rest of the Danish squad yelled "OUT". That is how she lost her voice. I think I saw Rikki Oslen as well.

19. OTFK

OTFK Regular Member

engineer
    Were you the LO with the Chinese Team?

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Kamilla Rytter Juhl. Thomas' partner in mix...