Gao Ling... who else hates her?

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by BoboTheBadder, Aug 23, 2005.

1. JumpingSmash

JumpingSmash Regular Member

Then I think that chinese minister is a sensitive person and narrow-minded
    He gave a wrong order as a protest for IBF

2. viver

viver Regular Member

I can't comment on the players as I don't know them. I would assume every player would like to prepare properly for the matches and that the organization would be at fault if it did not provide a separated area for the players to warm up. Personally I wouldn't talk to the players if I see them preparing for a match, as I don't want to interrupt their preparation.

Here in Vancouver, during the World Junior Championships was held in an ice hockey arena. The players were warming up in the public places - i.e. corridors; before the matches. Not really a proper spot for match preparation.

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Bobo.. just a question to you. How many times u met up with Gao Ling?

Maybe you just caught her at a bad time. Next time when you see her , hopefully in a good time.. you will forget about your encounter with her in this recent WC05. :)

She is a very nice and friendly person. :)

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad

I do agree that the European players are more open and friendly towards their friends compare to the Asian counterparts. But i don't agree in regards of your statement of "envy". Most of them understand english, but mostly don't dare to speak the language. I think it is the same for Philipinos that i encounter. Most of them do understand english but don't really dare to speak the language especially those who are in the C and D brakets. A and B class don't have any problem conversing in English.

5. restricted_

restricted_ Regular Member

yeah i agree. most understand the language but don't feel comfortable speaking them. just like my friend from china. she usually speaks to us in mandarin and only speaks english during presentation or when there is a need to do so. they're so afraid that people would laugh at them because of their accent or felt that their english is not perfect.

6. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

ahhahahaha no i didn't mean that there was no great chinese player !! there's just great chinese player !!!!! ahhahah but i never had a chance to meet them =/

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I was wondering about this also and mentioned it in one of a thread in this forum. IMO, i think ALL international IBF players should be able to understand and speak English fluently. Why?Because they are international players and them by being able to speak & understand English(which is a universal language) they can promote/market themselves better..IMO, it should be a requirement..
    It just that having a translator next to them will look like the players are not "educated" esp. they are playing in an international market..

8. littledumbduck

littledumbduck Regular Member

sorry, i just can't agree with your pov.....they are badminton players...not business people...and why does the world have to revolve around english speaking people? english is not a UNIVERSAL language...sure i agree that it would be useful if they knew how to speak english..but how about the non-mandarin speaking players speak mandarin then? afterall, mandarin is the most widely spoken language in the world.

9. legendarycroc

legendarycroc Regular Member

school
    did you ask after she lost? Cuz thats probably why...

10. BoboTheBadder

BoboTheBadder Regular Member

Student
    Nope, I didn't ask after she lost. I only asked her once after she was done warming down after her QF win and was done with it after he attitude. I ran into her treating fans this way about 10 times throughout the tournament...

I don't know what was up with her, I had assumed and have always heard she's very nice and friendly. But like I said, even some Chinese team members didn't seem to be getting the "nice and friendly" vibe from Gao Ling.

11. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

Mandarin is the most widly spoken first language, but more people understand and speak English as a second language.

12. w3wmfhe

w3wmfhe Regular Member

i think most of the chinese player were kind ##..b4 the the game ..same thing happened to me when i asked gao at the parking lot..she was kinda running...if u asked her...she would said....later

i guess the worse one is not gao...proberly zhou mi....she was the one so free after she lost in first round ( maybe she is really in bad mood)..i hvn't see anyone her pic with her
    even li yong bo was willing to hv pic:cool: with fans after me and friends heard he sword:eek: in the parking lot

13. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Try speaking Mandarin to other non-chinese people in other countries:rolleyes:. You'll have better chance of communicating in English with anyone when you travel abroad or chat on the net. That's the way it is... doesn't matter if majority of the people speaks mandarin when non-mandarin speakers reside in majority of the living area around the world.

#53 cappy75, Aug 25, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  14. BoboTheBadder

Student
    I thought Zhou Mi was pretty nice! She ran around the stadium with me looking for ice cream. hehe

15. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Whoa, chinese team allowed to eat ice cream :eek: ;)

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

hehe, agree there, but i'm a bit "confused" by this comment..sorry...:p.

17. restricted_

restricted_ Regular Member

sorry to say this but i seriously thinks that zhou mi has an attitude problem. during the aviva open 05, many approached her for signature and pics but she just totally ignored them. she don't even bother to say no or at least reject politely. while she was looking at some yonex stuff, the cashier was telling her that someone's calling out for her. she just refuse to turn back or even acknowledge her fans and continue looking at her stuff without even a reply. my friend approached her for a signature last year, the same thing happened. she walk off without a reply. i wonder if she's having a bad mood everyday.

18. BoboTheBadder

Student
    LOL! I was thinking the same thing. I was sitting behind Zhang Jun after his loss while he was spectating and he was munching on some chocolate ice cream. I was soooo tempted to tell him to not eat ice cream or else he'll get fatter and even slower! But then I figured he's probably retiring soon so w/e. :p

19. littledumbduck

littledumbduck Regular Member

you people aren't getting the point i was trying to make..i was just saying that it's unreasonable to require IBF players to speak english..why should they have to? my point wasn't who speaks more what

20. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    So I guess by your line of reasoning, all IBF officials should speak Mandarin only... tough luck for all the indonesians, danish, and other nationalities then:p. Guess they could always curse in their own languages:rolleyes:. Hmm... to be fair, maybe we should all learn sign language so that we could communicate with everybody. Unfortunately I only know of one hand sign that's universal and I only reserved that for fools who piss me off;).

What I am saying is that not every ethnic chinese speak Mandarin and ethnic chinese are a minority in many countries EVEN though chinese is probably the largest ethnic group in the world. Last I remembered, Canada is bigger than China geographically speaking.