Football Season 2006/2007

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by wilfredlgf, Aug 13, 2006.

1. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Heard about the 'I'd score an own goal' threat from Gallas if he stays in Chelsea? I think Jose's gone a little over the top there now, probably after pulling out from his promise of players he'd agree to let go. Gallas was known to dislike playing as fullback although he's excellent there.

Aye. But it's part of the works. If Joorabchian does take over West Ham (or has he already?), those two, especially Tevez are almost certain to go over to Chelsea earlier. A RAWKite made a (rather snide) remark, wishing them all the best on their trips to Portsmouth during those cold winter matches.

Which part? The lack of conviction ie Milan's reinstatement, Lazio et al? I was disappointed they get to go back into the tournament. Have a look at the Mafiosi banner the Zagreb fans put up in their qualifer game against the Rossoneri. I thought the FA would've learnt their lessons already.

No comments on that - I thought the Zidane headbutt was sensational! :D

As for the lack of magic, it's probably a case of football burnout-ism. A loooooooooong season of footie, then the World Cup, served with some shortsighted tactics of a certain Swede etc, you'd probably think it won't ever end. Maybe it's about who'd finish 2nd again this season.

It'll take some time I guess - United's off the paddock at full speed but have yet to really meet teams they should be tested against; the gooners are still settling down at home; Aston Villa looks menacing with O'Neill in charge; Liverpool's stuttering start to the season; Chelsea's armour being broken by Boro etc.

2. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    To point 1. AYE
    To point 2. AYE
    To point 3. AYE
    To point 4. Zidane owns all your bases!!!

3. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    You mean 'all your bases are belong to Zidane' ?

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

#24 ctjcad, Sep 6, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

6. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

Ah, San Marino. The perennial whipping boys of UEFA. :D

7. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    Fend, have you been at the brandy again? :confused: :confused:

I think Wilfred's right, perhaps it is down to football burnout. I had really high hopes for Arsenal in the Champions League final and we lost in a way I just found hard to take. Then England crashed out of the World Cup without ever showing any real class. Arsenal had a really bad start to the season (by our standards). I think I need to get away. I wonder if I can get last minute tickets to Madrid!

San Marino depresses me as well. They actually scored against us in the first minute in the 90's! We beat them 7-1 in the end but still....:crying:

8. starx

starx Regular Member

Niko Kranjcar(MC/Croatia/Hajduk)

9. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Will someone pass me the sedative please, or the tranquiliser, barbiturates, anything.

0 - 3 against Man Utd; it happens
    0 - 3 against Arsenal; if they play great, grudgingly
    0 - 3 against Chelsea; it happens
    0 - 3 against Blackburn; it happens, gritted teeth
    0 - 3 against Everton; someone please go and nuke Goodison Park out of existence.

10. crosscourt

Legal
    That's the thing with derbies. Form and skill take second place to the passion. Also, Everton are really a Jekyll and Hyde team. Unfortunately for you you caught them in a fiendish Mr Hyde day!!

11. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Crosscourt!! GUNNERS WIN!!!! *opens the bubbly*! OMG 1-0 1-0 TAKE THAT MANCS TAKE THAT HARD.

Fabregas = best player in premier league. (At least U21)

12. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    You mean 'Anfield South'? ;)

Arsenal happened to be Utd's first real test and it will get tougher from there onwards. Chelsea had started in a rather lacklustre and are getting back to form, Liverpool are stuttering after a succession of tough away matches, Arsenal finding just the tonic to kickstart their season.

West Ham and Wigan finding it difficult to keep up to last season's standards, Sheff Utd feeling the heat, mid table teams last season are lighting up the table.

Portsmouth is on a 100%, 100% record! :eek:

As for FEND, congratulations but keep the champagne chilled first. As Rafa said after the draw against Sheff Utd (paraphrased):

"The league is not a race; it's a marathon and we're just at the first few steps".

13. dvajah

dvajah Regular Member

student!
    Re:

I did mean 'anfield south'! The fa cup final might show up again this year as well coz they still can't get wembley finished.

I was pleased with the liverpool performance but obviously not the result:mad:
    Well done arsenal for sticking to playing attractive footy no matter what. It paid off yesterday but most away games will see them struggle against defensive - minded teams.

14. dvajah

dvajah Regular Member

student!
    They are unbeaten but not 100% record. It's quite unbelievable :confused: but they haven't played anyone major yet.

15. crosscourt

Legal
    Fend, I was away yesterday, what a result! I didn't watch the televised game on Sunday as I was dreading the result. Listened to the last few minutes with my Man U supporting brother and watched the highlights later.:D How did the new boys play (Baptista and Rosicky)?

My football enthusiasm is starting to return now and the world seems a slightly happier place! Having said that there is due to be a TV documentary this evening on BBC1 exposing football corruption in the UK. It's nothing like the Italian scandal, but rather about how managers get bungs/kickbacks from agents if they agree to sign certain players. The managers are due to be named in the documentary!

16. crosscourt

Legal
    Liverpool 2 - Newcastle 0

Had no word from you Wilfred. Are you being modest?!

Apparantly Alonso scored a wonder goal from his own half and Kuyt got his first goal. Good result for the Reds, especially after Sunday.

17. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

I saw that wonder goal on the news. Was funny. Keeper slipped. LOL

18. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Being modest, I am, yes. Rafa's unassuming and humble character is rubbing off his fans so I guess you could say that.

Until we exact revenge on Everton in February that is... ;)

As for the win vs Newcastle, it's 3 points yes but it has to be pointed out that against a better team it could have been different. Still, that was a match worth a lot in terms of confidence as 'Dirik Kowt' had had a barren spell since he came and Alonso had been rather average since the season started.

It started to look a lot like last season - poor start cost us a good run at the title; Crouch went for matches without scoring, problems scoring etc but hopefully that can be fixed now. They said if the Premier League began on Christmas, 2006 champion would be Liverpool.

So it is imperative to really fix that problem an improve on last season.

Pretty interesting season so far - Portsmouth at the top, Chelsea not really that invincible anymore although it's dangerous to assume otherwise, Man Utd is flying off the blocks but sent tumbling back to earth at home to the Gooners, who had a troublesome start.

(Trying hard to resist making Everton remarks)

Newcastle is doing as they are expected every year - nearly rans again. As long as Shephard is the chairman, they will be going nowhere. I bet between Roeder and Pearce that either of them will be the first to go.

19. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    And about the Alonso wonder goal, the distribution of opinion on the Kop (at least on RAWK...) is as below:

Approx 1/4 said Harper slipped and could've prevented the goal
    Approx 2/4 said Harper won't be able to stop it from going in anyhow
    The rest of the 1/4 won't accept any discussions if it means arguing about their idol's wonder goal.

So which am I? ;)

20. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

For wilfred a goal is a goal. Doesn't matter how it is scored. A goal is still a goal.