Football Season 2006/2007

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by wilfredlgf, Aug 13, 2006.

1. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Well enough but the big test is when we pay a visit to you dudes tomorrow. Still looking for that first home win, I reckon? The pitch being a lot bigger than Highbury means Arsenal will have to reinvent their playing style although I thought the larger the field the more space for the wingers and attackers to run onto?

Yessiree, Blockbuster Sunday it is as Arsenal host Liverpool. Nobody can afford to drop points here if they want to keep up in the league but it's still too early to say. Still, no one's fooling around, I tells yer.

Our lineup is likely to be very physical, taking cue from West Ham's effectiveness in stifling the Gunner midfield, rendering Fabregas into a mere passenger.

By the way, we'll be meeting again in the League Cup...

2. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    By the way, just came back from a dinner at the local curry house where I usually go to watch matches and just noticed that EPSN-Star hired a new presenter in the form of Charlie Webster, former 400m runner for England.

As you Brits would say it, goodness gracious me, by George she's seriously fit! :)

3. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Please don't mind me wilfred. Hey crosscourt. Looks like we're back on track :)

4. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Mind? I don't, really *crushes Coke can...*. I mean, as my friend always say, the ball is round, so anything can happen. It's part of the game. *... with teeth*.

I look at it on a more objective way - we lost at Highbury last season so nothing's change, except for the scoreline. It got worst. :mad:

Looks like we'll have to win Big Ol' Ears again to qualify for Europe.

5. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    man, too much WoW...haven't been here since last week! Fend mate, we are definitely back. Wilfred, I feel for you, I really do but that's football.

I listened to the game on Sunday. You may remember the last two games (drew and lost) were ones were I was too engrossed in WoW to even remember. This Sunday I had the radio on and ...we won!!

A friend of mine apparantly has tickets to Fulham v Arsenal. I'll have to sit at the Fulham end...but I think I can manage.

6. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Sitting with the Cottagers would be fine I suppose as I think their real rivals is actually Chelsea. How are Arsenal fans with West Ham? I know the Hammers despise Tottenham with a passion.

Try being a Red and get a free ticket to sit in the Stretford End during our matchups. A few RAWKites got tickets from their Manchester friends and they reported the experience is like "... sitting in a car on a cold rainy evening with a big one threatening to explode off your bottom and full bladder...". They can't cheer when Alonso/Gerrard put someone through or had to cheer enthusiastically when we're 0 - 2 down.

The only place I know (I said 'I') know of rival fans mixing together is at Goodison and Anfield I think during the derby - Red/Blue shirts peppered with blue/red. I read some accounts from the old fellas there that the Kop used to hold both together during those times, but things had gotten pretty bitter across Stanley Park so...

7. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Crosscourt, don't tempt me to join you into playing wow... I'm having a break after exams.. and Wow does seem tempting...

8. crosscourt

Legal
    erm, Wow is rubbish, don't know what I see in it. You're better off staying away from it rather than exposing yourself to that kind of disappointment!

Wilfred, yes you're right sitting with Fulhm fans won't be so bad. I think West Ham fans aren't too bad towards us. I think one of the advantages of playing attractive football and not being too succesful is that there aren't too many fans that hate us!

9. crosscourt

Legal
    Noooooooooooo! I don't beleive it, just when it was starting to come together! Maybe the team was conserving its energies, waiting for tomorrow night!

10. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Smells a rat, this season.

United again may face elimination in Europe while putting on a powerful run in the league, Arsenal is starting to bed in at Emirates, Liverpool is playing well in Europe but away woes on our travels.

Is Chelsea going to finally retake top spot from United come Sunday and Gerrard jumping like mad with Big Ol' Ears in his hands again in May?

Darn, I hope so - the league table is pretty difficult to look at, at the moment. ;)

11. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

3-1 3-1!!! We're back on track, I wouldn't be surprised if we lose / draw to crap teams and get the results vs the big boys.

12. crosscourt

Legal
    better late than never I suppose! I was starting to get worried.

Theo looked good again.

So long as we don't lose to Porto, we're through!

13. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Walcott's getting good. Watching those replays really take my breathe away. What a talent. Perfect cross to baptista. He didn't miss Henry, he aimed for baptista. What a lad.

14. crosscourt

Legal
    Interesting results this weekend.

I watched the ManU v Chelsea game on tv. There was no holding back in that game! What a midfield battle, fantastic. Good result for us although we were far from covering ourselves in glory. Had we won the gap would be down to single digits with a game in hand. Oh well, I can dream..

I didn't see any other games. Wilfred, I trust we'll be getting your rundown?

15. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

At the rate the gunners are going, I'm going to the local TAB and place a bet against them for the next 10 games or something. I'm bound to make some money with this streak they're having..

16. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Was away to Langkawi last weekend so I wasn't around to join y'all in the discussion on what has been going on in the Premier League. I think I'll just recap:

Arsenal finally clicked to gear again after costly loses to West Ham and the 'drubbing' by Bolton midweek and even that win over Spurs had much to do with refeering problems again, which I think has become one of the biggest issues this season.

Liverpool finally won an away game after going for 10 hours and 10 minutes without scoring a single goal on their travels, done in fashion by hammering a sorry Wigan 4 - 0 at the JJB. Bellamy had a huge weight taken off his shoulders after the conclusion of the court case and came back with vengeance to put in two clinical shots Henry would be proud of. He then unselfishly crossed for the ever impressive Kuyt to score the third. The only question now is whether this run is going to continue after that drab 0 - 0 draw at home to Busmouth.

The last time we beat Wigan away, it was the start of a 13 game winning streak. I sure hope history repeats itself as Arsenal visiting Anfield is one of those 13 matches from now.

Man Utd is running away at the top, this time with much of the luck as their counterparts Chelsea hung on at the coattails. A dubious penalty helped secure the points at Boro.

Jose's been moaning about the Newcastle game being moved due to the latter's involvement in the UEFA Cup and could go 9 points down before that match if United continued on their imperious charge towards the title.

17. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    I think Man Utd will win this year's Premiership :D but who knows? :rolleyes: :D
    I hope Man Utd win tho :p

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Oh my goodness, has anyone seen this score..

..(sorry all, i don't know where exactly to put this story, since it's from the AG and relates to soccer/football)...Has anyone seen this scoreboard from one of their games, 13-0?!?!there are couple others similar scores ..:eek: :rolleyes: :D :( :p
    http://www.dohaasiangames.org/gis/Sports/FB/IGFBResultsMR.aspx?rscid=FBW01-FBLP10-LA01-A

Check out also the pics below and notice the clothing the Jordanian players were wearing & notice the ball also, looks like it's the same one used from the recent World Cup?!?!.:rolleyes: :p ;)

Attached Files:

#98 ctjcad, Dec 3, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  19. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    What an afro on that lady at the back! :)

As for the ball I think international tournaments are almost totally sponsored by Adidas no?

20. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Oh great, we got Arsenal again, this time for the FA Cup.

We've met at Ashburton, will meet again before the end of the year, then the League Cup and now the FA Cup. Any bets for the Champions League's two-legged semifinals?