European Mixed Team Championships 2011 (Amsterdam, 15-20 February 2011)

Discussion in '2011 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Feb 1, 2011.

1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Venue : Sporthallen Zuid, Amsterdam-The Netherlands
    Competition date : 15-20 February 2011
    Participating country : 32
    Tournament website :
    http://www.eurobadminton.nl/
    http://etc.badmintoneurope.com/
    Draw, Schedule & Live-Score at ts link : http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/tournament.aspx?id=D9FB52AC-EF11-4598-9608-E0284D3BDFD7

2009 Final standing :

1. Denmark
    2. England
    3/4. Poland and Russia
    5/8. France, Germany, Netherlands, Ukraine
    9/16. Ireland, Switzerland, Sweden, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Iceland, Scotland
    17/24. Spain, Portugal, Estonia, Latvia, Austria, Finland, Italy, Czech Republic
    25/32. Slovenia, Cyprus, Slovakia, Norway, Israel, Lithuania, Hungary, Wales.

2. badders7

badders7 Regular Member

Danish team:
    Mens single:
    Jan Ø Jørgensen
    Hans Kristian Vittinghus

Women single
    Karina Jørgensen
    Tine Baun

Doubles, men
    Mathias Boe
    Rasmus Bonde
    Anders Kristiansen
    Thomas Laybourn
    Carsten Mogensen
    Joachim Fischer Nielsen

Doubles, women
    Kamilla Rytter Juhl
    Christinna Pedersen
    Marie Røpke

3. badders7

badders7 Regular Member

English team:
    Men:
    Rajiv Ouseph
    Carl Baxter
    Anthony Clark
    Chris Langridge
    Chris Adcock
    Andrew Ellis
    Nathan Robertson

Women:
    Elizabeth Cann
    Sarah Walker
    Jenny Wallwork
    Gabrielle White
    Heather Olver
    Mariana Agathangelou

4. thomaskm

thomaskm Regular Member

Denmark should be the champion again this time

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I don't know for certain but I can guess....

Scotland Team
    Men:

Kieran Merrilees
    Robert Blair
    Paul Van Rietvelde
    Martin Campbell
    Angus Gilmour
    (2 more players, one singles at least, and one additional doubles, TBD after National Championships)

Women:

Susan Egelstaff
    Linda Sloan
    Kirsty Gilmour
    Imogen Bankier
    Emma Mason
    Jillie Cooper

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

The nomination list should already have been sent. Seems most countries take only 2 singles players for each event ... I read Merilees is off somewhere to Canada(?). Oh wait I think that was Briggs actually :D.

#6 demolidor, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Yes Watson Briggs has taken 6 months out to go Vancouver Canada, to do some skiing.:)

the women in the list above are correct, however the Men need some adjusting (I found the squad details:))

Mens Singles: Gordan Hoggan, Kieran Merrilees, Calum Menzies
    Doubles: Peter Hockey, Duncan Leith, Keith Turnbull, Jamie Neill, Angus Gilmour, Martin Campbell, Paul Van Rietvelde, Andrew Bowman.

Edit: Scotland sent, 3MS and 3WS players

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Netherlands

MD
    Ruud Bosch/Koen Ridder
    Dave Khodabux/Jorrit de Ruiter

WD
    Paulien van Dooremalen/Lotte Jonathans
    Selena Piek/Iris Tabeling

XD (although you would expect Bosch/Jonathans to be #1)
    Selena Piek/Jacco Arends
    Samantha Barning/Dave Khodabux

MS
    Saber Afif
    Rune Massing
    Dicky Palyama (won't be there)
    Eric Pang (won't be there)

WS
    Patty Stolzenbach
    Josephine Wentholt
    Judith Meulendijks (won't be there)
    Yao Jie (won't be there)

9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I should have added, the nominations list still leaves room to leave people out after Nationals for example, should they use it as a selection event (since 8 male doubles players seem an awfull lot I doubt all 8 will go). The dutch selectors als nominated the names in grey/silver above just in case they can solve their issues regarding material/brand use. The way I see it the federation needs them more right now to save face at a home event than the other way around so their offer to "allow" them to use their own sponsored rackets without logo on the strings seems pitiful at best but might actually be the best they are allowed. Any ranking points to be gained? Qualifying for the Sudirman Cup is not at stake in any case ...

#9 demolidor, Feb 2, 2011
  10. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Is this because they are all sponsored by Carlton ? Without these 4 players, the team is quite poor in the MS and WS departments....

There isn't actually 4 pairs, there is 3 Paul is playing XD only AFAIK. He will be partnered with Imogen Bankier.

I can pretty much already tell you which males are going, it will be....

MS: Gordan Hoggan, Kieran Merrilees
    MD: Angus Gilmour/Martin Campbell. I can't tell for the others if sponsorship comes into play, that's why for MS I have put Kieran Merilees ahead of Calum Menzies as there is a conflict of sponsors.

I don't know why Andrew Bowmans name is there as he is far below the other MD and XD players. Neill/Turnbull had a falling out with BS a few years back over funding, so I don't think they will go.... Hockey/Leith I don't think have represented Scotland abroad before (apart from Euro Club Championships) and there is also conflicting sponsorship issues for them as well. strange choices, but I dont think there is any other options, for MD.:(

#10 LD rules!, Feb 2, 2011
  11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Yes (except Forza for Meulendijks). The dutch federation is one of the "chosen" few to have a full Yonex sponsorship agreement all the way down to the national junior teams requiring every single piece of equipment being Yonex (for national team players). Other brands offer better sponsorship money individually and were already doing so for the 4 above which naturally they weren't going to give up. Scotland don't have the same deal nor do England or Germany even so this problem won't play a role at all for them.
    So for the last year the 4 have been on their own financially and the federation still harbours any hope they will help out for this event without any (clearly) visible representation of their sponsors??

Apparently the legal fees for the ongoing lawsuit had taken it's toll on last year's budget as well ironically, since financial trouble is what pretty much left them with no choice but to sign the agreement with Yonex in the first place.

#11 demolidor, Feb 2, 2011
  12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Not much news regarding squads in other countries so far ...

Sweden:

Henri Hurskainen Malmö BK
    Oscar Kruse BK Carlskrona
    Patrik Lundqvist Malmö BK
    Jonatan Nordh Aura
    Gabriel Ulldahl Frölunda

Amanda Högström Fyrisfjädern
    Emelie Lennartsson BK Carlskrona
    Emma Wengberg Malmö BK
    Jenny Wan Malmö BK

13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

#13 demolidor, Feb 2, 2011
  14. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Some of the Draw and analysis:)

Group 6:

France, Spain, Scotland, Slovakia

France: Have strong MS players, Brice, Mathieu and Simon are all strong players. France have the strongest MS line up in this group. But in my opinion they are weak in WS, WD, and XD, and they have decent MD players
    Spain: Again, have a strong MS player in Pablo Abian, they have a young talent in WS, who will give the others in the group a tough test, and again they have some ok WD and XD players.
    Scotland: They have ok MS players, but they are strongest in XD, WS and WD, IMO they hve the strongest WS, WD and XD players in this group. Although they suffer in MD department.
    Slovakia: They will most likely finish bottom of this group, I am not familiar with many of their players, but AFAIK their squad is not as strong as the others in the group.

Predictions for group 6:

Scotland vs France 3-2 (WD, XD and WS will win it for Scotland)
    France vs Spain 4-1 (Spain will take WS, but France will be too strong overall)
    Slovakia vs Spain 0-5 (Spain are too strong here)
    Slovakia vs Scotland 0-5 (Scotland, like Spain will be too good here)
    Spain vs Scotland 2-3 (difficult one to pick, Marin might beat Susan, but I think Scotland again too strong)
    France vs Slovakia 5-0 (France to strong again)

Group Outcome:

1.Scotland
    2. France
    3. Spain
    4. Slovakia

15. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

EURO TEAM CHAMPS – Dutch beheaded
    By
    Raphael Sachetat

http://www.badzine.net/news/euro-team-champs-dutch-beheaded/12437/

Only a year too late :D. The very same issue already played a year ago at the Men's and Women's European Team Championship in Poland, in that case costing a spot at the TUC. Since Sudirman Cup doesn't have those qualification issues, it doesn't have as direct an impact ...

16. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

It seems a shame, The Netherlands did have a good chance, with their strongest singles players but without them, I can't see them doing very well... Just because a certain brand wants to have a monopoly over the whole national game, it prevents the whole team winning a medal.

The only winners out of this situation are the four players that have been brought in to replace the "outcasts"

Btw, Pang and Palayama are getting on a bit (no offence) who is going to replace them ? (or are you going to have Ruud Bosch and Koen Ridder playing all three events:))

17. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Koen Ridder is/was still one of the best MS player's, could be an option for this event (not sure if he will play MS in nationals this weekend). The two best prospects have chosen their study over the sport. Of the two entered here Rune is the same generation as the "oldies" you mentioned so that leaves Saber Afif untill the current youth prospects have caught up. A bleak prospect, will be wait and see how the current U19 (surprise) champ develops.

As far as the 8 groups, the favorites are clear, the group 6 is the closest thing to a group of death :D. Which means a sweet QF: NED v RUS :cool:.

Yeah this makes sense :confused:

Group 1 #1 - Group 8 #1
    Group 3 #1 - Group 7 #1
    Group 5 #1 - Group 4 #1
    Group 6 #1 - Group 2 #1

A normal 3 vs 6 would have meant ENG v SCO QF ...

#17 demolidor, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  18. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

OT: Ridder is seeded 3rd in MS in Nationals and the U19 champ seeded 4 (out of 4 seeds)

19. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Is the draw for Dutch Nationals on TS ? Evey other draw for the national this weekend is on TS apart from Denmark and Netherlands.:confused:

Would you agree that Scotland will win group 6 or do you think that the group "favourites" (France) will edge it ? Despite being weaker in XD WD and WS

20. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Yes, they have a special TS page now for the dutch tournaments and league (apparently). Am creating a new thread for the 2011 National Championships right now in fact ... Danish should be on the regular "DM2011"

Frankly I thought Pi Hongyan would be there at first (probably missed or forgot some anouncement from/about her). Without Blair France would be favorites. France have some pretty talented young players ... I'd say MD, XD, WS to Scots at least and is enough for the win. WD might be close and MS should be for France but you never know.