English Nationals 2008

Discussion in '2008 Tournaments' started by Ben Beckman, Jan 28, 2008.

1. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    i think the only person that qualifies straight into the main draw is andrew smith.. baxter, kidd, ghaffar, ouseph all end up in the qualifying draw.. not sure how many we're allowed in tho... i think because it's the all england they all get in..

2. geebees90

geebees90 Regular Member

Student
    Hi.....

Yeah Andrew Smith has kept his ranking within top 30 almost.....I just talked to Aamir for 45 minutes.......I asked him about KIDD, He said KIDD is pretty unhappy with the BE and left for malaysia and is training there.......I want Taufik to play All England this year and again cause big upsets and win it.......Hehehehe It will be funny but seems more than difficult this time, at least he has been loosing to Lin dan quite easily......What do you think :p???:cool:

I wish my exams finish soon and I go to Malaysia for training too.........

3. coops241180

Product Owner
    it doesn't surprise me - there isn't a great deal of funding for players over here. and an incredible amount of pressure on our mens singles players since we haven't had a mens singles player in the top 10 for such a long time.

none of our mens singles players have ever really performed on the international stage, altho i do remember aamir beating bao chunlai at one point which must've been the high point of his career. he's been out for a little while - perhaps he's going to come back renewed and fight to the top.

andy smith has never been under the BE's wing - he's at the KLRC and trains under Cheah Soon Kit with a number of other talented players.. it's hard to tell whether the coming olympics are the best ones for andy - he will probably still be playing well past the 2012 olympics which would be in his 'home' country

nick kidd - yeah - i'm not surprised.. the KLRC would be a good place for him too - but it's the funding side of things that causes problems.

4. geebees90

geebees90 Regular Member

Student
    Funding Problems

Yeah exactly, Nick KIDD was twice National Champion and still he had some funding problems so he couldn't bear and went to Malaysia.....Players like Richard Vaughan isn't having any funding. So Its difficult to train and participate in Internationals on your own.

No Doubt Badminton is too tough with less rewards and most players are displeased with their fundings. I don't know how it could be improved.....I myself know that there isn't much in Badminton and you can't be rich even if you're a top 50 player, but still I'm willing to go for training on my own and be involved in Badminton professionally........Hey ccoooppppsss do you think it will be possible if clubs contribute, I mean each member pay like 5 or 10 pounds a month, That isn't too much for a person in England, and like that all over the world clubs generate these funds and give it directly to top players :p.........:D:D

P.S Whats your Name by the way??

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

so andrew smith got win???

6. coops241180

Product Owner
    exactly... he's a good player... just not good enough... hehe.. but he's was still the best in the country for a time.. he trains incredibly hard as well - i mean the guy has quads to put most bodybuilders to shame..

interesting you should mention members paying money - we already do -there is an affiliation fee to our national governing body - then a separate one to our county, then one more to our individual league.. on top of that we have lottery funding.. every time you buy a lottery ticket in the UK only some of it goes to prizes... the rest goes to charity projects and sport... the problem is that badminton isn't really high up onthe list- altho it is in the top 10 - and recent improvements in the england team are down to the lottery funding...

you won't recognise my name, i'm not national or even county standard.. :D
    but i turn up in the strangest places.. either linejudging or hopefully taking pics.. :D perhaps one of these days i'll do my umpire training.. we'll see..

7. coops241180

Product Owner
    err.. he ddn't play..

rajiv ouseph won.. he was european junior champion not so long ago - hopefully he is the future for english mens singles.. but we'll see.. it all depends on his fitness, injuries - who else comes thru..

8. geebees90

geebees90 Regular Member

Student
    Hehehehe, Well train as hard as andy does, So you won't have to linejudge, you'll be a player on court then :D:cool:.....

Well those money go to some authorities and they handle it the way they want, I mean guys at the Badmintoncentral.com to make an association, involve some of the top players and agree the fans all over the world to pay a particuler amount each month and then divide them into top 50 players.....I was just making an estimate and counting, If it goes the way I think then Badminton would be at the same level as Tennis....What do you think??????

P.S I would like to know your name Mr/Ms Linejudge/Umpire :p:D:D:D:cool::cool:

9. coops241180

Product Owner
    hehe - i think the funding issue is just one part of a much bigger problem.. the general badminton community aren't going to cough up just to see the top 50 players get paid to play... if your players weren't winning or getting to the QF of international tournaments (much like the ENG players) i don't think english people would like to pay...

people will always argue that money should go into the grass roots as thats where the players of the future will come from..

hehe - i've pm'd you my real name :D

10. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    for now my eyes are set on the english XD pair of chris adcock and gabby white....world juniors runner-ups....would love to see that game in the finals between them and Lim/Ng...must be a thrilling match to watch....England has always produced at least one good pair for every new generation of players so these 2 might be the next.....it's good that badminton is starting to get more competition from europe...the Danes are going through ups and downs at the moment...

11. coops241180

Product Owner
    hmmm, it's difficult to find the next pair... we have a few talented players.. langdridge, and middleton are looking good, lindley fits in there too.. adcock, adcock and eidestedt (he's very new -not sure where we got him from) are all interesting prospects, i'm not sure about the girls, certainly liza smith(nee parker), rayapanne, gabby white, sarah bok (looked good with archer this weekend) jenny wallwork are improving too.

when robertson/emms clark/kellog retire they will all benefit from more funding and more tournaments.

i think after the olympics the new stars will start showing up for england.. the older players (the four above and also people like jo nicholas, ella trip, natalie munt) will probably retire and give up their funding to the next generation.

every country goes thru ups and downs.. it all depends on resources..
    the danes will always have players coming thru... it just happens at a slower rate than in asia.. simply because it's not the national sport.. unlike china, malaysia, indonesia where badminton is near the top of the list for funding and coverage..

12. geebees90

geebees90 Regular Member

Student
    Hi........

It was good Nationals this time, funny because Hallam won the doubles title. and it would have been nicer if there were Nick KIDD and Andy Smith......I hope next time Andy Smith, KIDD, Rajiv and GHAFFAR and rest top players will participate in singles........

Now lets lookforward to good results from Rajiv and GHAFFAR in All England. GHAFFAR has always performed good in All Englands, Rajiv's turn now. But in superseries events its even too tough to get to the main draw.........in mixed It seems to be difficult for england to qualify for the finals............

P.S hey cooops thanks for sending the Private message, and thanks for leting me know :).......

13. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Carl "the traitor Rusedski" Baxter was the Canadian Junior Singles Champion in 2001 ;):D
    http://www.badminton.ca/page.aspx?id=2270

14. d65up2

d65up2 Regular Member

Student
    So you think Gaffar and Ouseph can beat the INA trio???? Just asking...no harm done

15. geebees90

geebees90 Regular Member

Student
    No, neither GHAFFAR nor Ouseph has beaten any indonesian so far. GHAFFAR hasn't played an indonesian yet, I'm sure he cant beat any indonesian even if he plays, however he has had some great results, beat Bao Chunlai, Shon Seung Mo, three times Dicky, very close in thomas cup finals against boonsak. So now GHAFFAR is thinking to retire the way he talked two days ago, he's fit now but he doesn't want to play anymore, however he's going to participate in Austrian, and thomas cup European qualifier.