Do you smash when you play with beginners?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by February, Jul 4, 2008.

1. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Wonder if you told your son (in their face) to never do that if he gets good at badminton. My take is that the boys just had a really bad losing streak and needed to win some game even if it's against children.

2. Terraglow

Terraglow Regular Member

Students
    I just can't smash at them.....
    They will start calling me with a "MONSTER" on the court.
    =_=""""
    so just play lob and net ball instead of smashing....

3. giant

giant Regular Member

student
    aih..so hard to take a smash ball with forehand..
    some time when u think knt smash on them they wil smash u leh..i tried before..

4. Sasho

Sasho Regular Member

I alternate drops and smashes: d,s,d,d,s,d,s,s,s,d...
    But yes I smash -- mainly because I have crappy smashes and need to practice them. Don't think smashing <=> arrogance. It is just part of the game. As in mix doubles, where I smash to the opposite lady...

5. Terraglow

Terraglow Regular Member

Students
    Of course in tournament have to use smash.
    especially in mixed double.
    Even though the opponent is a beginner.
    it will be the vital weapon for the guy.

6. LuHua

LuHua New Member

Try a smash or two on them, just because you're playing a beginner in badminton doesn't mean that they don't know how to react to the hits. I just started playing again after a bit of tennis and table tennis, I can lift a good number of smashes that come my way, the problem is that I generally send the shuttle flying right where they can smash me again.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If you can lift back a good number of smashes, you are not really a beginner, at least not in general club level. I think the beginner most ppl referring to, are the ones hardly can even make a stroke by themselves... ;)

8. giant

giant Regular Member

student
    i meet a kids who likes to smash..i dun wan to smash him but he can smash me near the baseline leh..not bad his smash..very powerful le..

9. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    In my club situation, we are pair with whoever available & court availability so a mixture of standards are unavoidable.

Beginner: If complete beginner(those that can't hold a racket properly) or stroke or move. In my opinion, no point smashing at all. Go for placement and make them move, I still probably win the point and the game. Make them realise that they need to improve to catch up and what are their weakness.

Beginner+: (Those that can play). Play to the best ability but smash if it is an obvious poor stroke from them. This also highlight to them what they are doing wrong and hopefully do not do it again.

In anycase, even if you smash, you do not have to aim for the body so no injury can occur. If I smash and unable to control my smash (ie not at the body) then I can't be good enough. I can still smash but aim on the sides or in between players so if they are quick & allert, they can still return. The game can have continuity and I can practice for preciseness.

Smashing is a demonstration of "power" but placement (right speed and timing) can be just as effective.

It all also depends on whether I have an interest in educating the players and if none then do as I like to get rid of them otherwise I tends to want to improve their play. I must say, it is the later that I mostly find myself in. It gives me a lot of satisfaction been able to contribute to another enjoyment.

When I am playing against a player much better than myself & he smash right at me, it give sme the Buzz(challange) to see I can outwit him. I learn fast and after one, maybe two smashes at my body, I tends to be ready for the 3rd and return back (block) placement or reflex block directed back at him. Even if 1 succeed 1 out of 5, I like to let him know I am no walk over, give me more.

I still remember the days I was smash at but can't do anything and how unenjoyable the experience & put off it is and nobody tell me why & how to counter act that. learn it myself the hard & long way.

10. pasifik

pasifik Regular Member

enterpreneur
    for me it depends on the situation, sometimes we want to teach them how to play badminton in the right way so mostly my shot is just for helping them to improve their ability.

http://badminton-a-hobby.blogspot.com/

#90 pasifik, Sep 18, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  11. short_hair

short_hair Regular Member

Student
    Against beginners,
    play for fun: play rally games and make them run like hell
    match: kill em with smashes

12. Foppa17

Foppa17 Regular Member

When I get in trouble yeah. But I try to avoid it cos my shoulder can't really take me smashing all the time.

I have head hunted a few times though.... One in particular a few weeks ago. I was already in a bad mood and ended up playing on a dusty court. Face planted on my first smash. I was even slipping over walking to start the next point. Slipped over a few timesrunning for next shots so early in I decided that there was no way in hell I'd be running anymore and just take it as it comes win or lose. Anyway I heard the guy at the opposite side of the court say something like "He's rubbish not good at all".... 2 rnds later we're on a different court and I had full traction, first I made him run a bit to open up net and mid court smashes and instead of aiming for the acres of open court I aimed for the body.... over and over and over again. Not my best moment but what the hell I was frustrated as hell.

13. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    When playing my friend, who is a beginner, I felt very little mercy and hit some hard, difficult smashes. He seemed to think he was absolutely awesome so he needed to learn a lesson. In the end, he only scored four points. This may not have been too much fun for him but someone had to do it.

Playing another, slightly more advanced friend, I went all out. Attacking like I would in a competitive game, I hit him in the back (not sure how really, I think he turned round) with a hard smash and he went to the ground. I wouldn't use this sort of aggression with a total beginner but I feel that the lessons slightly more advanced beginners learn from being smashed at are very important.

Against people who I didn't know, or total beginners, I would show a little more mercy but I wouldn't let them walk all over me. Being an attacking player, I am liable to want to smash when the pace of the game increases so I'm probably not the best person to introduce beginners to the wonderful game of badminton.

14. BadMNTN_abner

BadMNTN_abner Regular Member

student
    i smash to their bodies. *wink*

i love badminton because i love badminton!

15. jnce00

jnce00 Regular Member

Its better if you don't smash with full power when playing against beginners. Because that will be the same as asking a 8 year old kid to do a university project.

16. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Agreed, but would you let them walk all over you? I smash because it is the main part of my game. I don't normally mean to cause them any harm or bully them off the court but sometimes, they need to be shown who's boss anyway. If a beginner was really cocky, surely you'd knock them down a few pegs?

17. jjqyb

jjqyb Regular Member

usually, i do not smash when i play with a beginner , i like to make them run in the court , cause i wanner make them realize how important the footwork is

18. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    I think that if a player step into the court, they are ready for anything. There will be no mercy shown to anyone and that shows you are a serious player to play with. HOWEVER! Sometimes it's best to go easy on beginners (like REAL beginners, no experience or very little) as they are not able to do correct techniques.

I smash very little when I play with beginners since they don't know how to defend. I only smash when their shots are so high that I can't do anything other than smash. LOL

19. jwu42

jwu42 Regular Member

Histotech
    Against beginners, I generally gauge what their ability levels are at and go from there. We're all beginner once and being slaughtered in a game doesn't help you improve nor give you a good impression for the game, might even persuade the individual to stop playing altogether. Badminton is about fun and the love of the game.