discrimination

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Dominic Hobdell, Jan 23, 2000.

1. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Bro, you kinda missed my question. Do you discriminate?

2. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
  3. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

well i did not say that discrimination do not exist in indonesia. but what im saying is that in many more occasion (eg. at clubs or tournaments) badminton has bring many races closer together and it gives them something in common that they can be proud of

4. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Under your definition of discrimination, yes i do. But c'mon bro, thats not discrimination. A discrimination must have a negative element to it such as hatred, violent etc which is based on for example race, religion, nationality, gender. So do i practice discrimination? NO, Im againts it

5. druss

druss Regular Member

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. While not proud of it I admit that I discriminate... everyone does. If you don't think you do then you need to take a close look at yourself and be honest.

I try to avoid bums on the street and will cross the street if I have to. I don't like heavy perfume so will leave as it causes me to sneeze. While I don't hate very large/fat people I dislike it when I have to sit beside them in a plane, movie theater... etc.

So do you discriminate? Remember that it's not always negative. You can discriminate by granting favor to friends over non friends.

–verb (used without object) 1. to make a distinction in favor of or against a person or thing on the basis of the group, class, or category to which the person or thing belongs rather than according to actual merit

So, let's face it, we're human and we don't always act the way we believe we should. What's important is that we TRY, not always that we succeed.

#25 druss, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  6. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Here's the definition under Oxford dictionary:
    discriminate

/diskrimminayt/ • verb 1 recognize a distinction. 2 make an unjust distinction in the treatment of different categories of people, especially on the grounds of race, ***, or age.

Dont give me a lecture about honesty druss...

You should read my earlier comment, i clearly said that i do make preferences in my actions. But I just dont agree if those actions eg. avoiding strong parfume and fat person can be called/categorised as discriminative actions. To me word "differentiate" is more siuted to the situation. To discriminate there has to be an element of injustice and negativity

Let me ask you this, have you ever avoid someone just because of his/her race, ***, or age? Lets be honest

7. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Dude, slow down. I am not saying you said discrimination does not exist in Indonesia. You said; On the contrary, badminton often unites different races in Indonesia. My point is em' ethnic chinese Indonesians who worked in Jakarta Chinatown or lived in predominant chinese neighbourhood back in 97' may disagree.

8. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Bro, allow me to quote your reference on discrimination;

Here's the definition under Oxford dictionary:
    discriminate

/diskrimminayt/ • verb 1 recognize a distinction. 2 make an unjust distinction in the treatment of different categories of people, especially on the grounds of race, ***, or age

Anyway, I must say you are the first person or maybe a rare human being who do not practice any form of discrimination. Honestly, I am proud of you. Dude, you are like whiter than white.

9. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Have I ever avoided someone just because of his/her race, *** or age??

Hell yes!!!

10. druss

druss Regular Member

First of all, you left out the first part of the definition... it's says "especially" but not ONLY...

It uses age, *** and race as examples but if you treat any category of people differently then it's discrimination. Don't try to make yourself feel better by calling it something else. The word Discrimination has a negative connotation to it but the definition of the word is "to discriminate". A listed synonym is "discernment".

I'm not saying you're a bad person, or I am or anyone is... I'm sayiing that everyone discriminates regardless of what you want to call it. It's just a word, what you're having trouble with are the negative connations associated with the word.

I also like to think of myself as a "discriminating shopper" which means that I take my time to weight all the positives and negatives between various brands before choosing the best one. Does this make me a bad person too?

11. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    I disciminate again the shuttle. Anytime I see it comes over to my side of the court, I had to make sure it goes back from where it came. :D

Well, I also discrimiate again azzholes.

I don't recall being discriminated against when it coems to badminton. Had some rather odd looks when I was the only white dude who was at the All Korean club in Los Angeles a few years back... but soon as bombed a smash, it was all good.

12. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

@pemuda:

you can called me whiter than white or whatever, it don’t bother me dude. We simply don’t agree on how to view the matter. Choosing a better looking partner in badminton is not a discriminative action to me.

I come from a chinese background and was born in Indonesia. And I myself endured 20 years of a real painful discrimination against my race. So im just here to just trying promote that discrimination is simply wrong.

So lets say you walked into a taxi at night then realised that it’s a taxi with an Indian driver, do you walk away of that taxi just because the driver comes from a race that you don’t like?

Sorry to ask you this dude, I just want to make things straight. There is a fine line between discrimination the way I know it and the ones you and druss knows it.

13. druss

druss Regular Member

The only thing I've been arguing is the semantics of the word discrimination. I view negative discrimination the same way you do but based on the root word of discriminate I'm sayng that everyone does it to certain degree. Some take it to the extreme of out right racism, others do it to a lesser case such as having a favorite store because of bad service at another store.

I read an article about a hiring agency which would not let employers use the words "hard working" and "honest" in their for hire ads because they are discriminating against lazy and dishonest people. Well, they are but that does not mean they don't have the right to do it.

Take out all the emotional context with the word discrimination and you'll see my point of view.

14. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

@druss:

You left out a more important word there buddy. You should concern more about the word “UNJUST”. As long as you can justify you action, then I have nothing against that. You can do shopping and choose whatever brand you like offcourse, there nothing UNJUST about that.

You said “It's just a word, what you're having trouble with are the negative connations associated with the word.” Maybe I am Druss

So what word would you use to describe when a human race got killed and raped systematically based on their racial hatred for a long time?? what word would you use to describe you own time in the 70s and 80s in Canada when you often called by names? Are we talking about the same word here Druss?? So please tell me how to draw a fine line??

#34 Yoppy, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  15. druss

druss Regular Member

Just because oxford used the word unjust does not make it true... look at all the other dictionaries and you not all use that word.

www.dictionary.com

–noun 1.an act or instance of discriminating.2.treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.

Merriam-Webster
    Main Entry: dis·crim·i·na·tion
    Pronunciation: \dis-ˌkri-mə-ˈnā-shən\
    Function: noun
    Date: 1648

1 a : the act of discriminating b : the process by which two stimuli differing in some aspect are responded to differently
    2 : the quality or power of finely distinguishing
    3 a : the act, practice, or an instance of discriminating categorically rather than individually b : prejudiced or prejudicial outlook, action, or treatment <racial discrimination> synonyms see discernment

Most people only use the word in the negative sense but that does not mean that's the only way it CAN be used.

I think you're getting way too worked up over this. Did I face discrimination, racism, when I was younger? Yes I did. Do I condone racism now? No, I don't. Do I think women and old people in general drive worse than I do? Yes, I do.

You don't need to be racist or kill and **** to discriminate. You're so stuck on your definition of the word and how you've only ever used it, and heard it used, negatively that that's all you think about.

As a side note, did you know that "I feel good" is not correct english? Yet how many people say it? When you ask someone "how are you today?" how many of them reply "good" even though it's not correct?

English is one of the hardest languages to master with all the double meanings, connotations, incorrect usage, slang and just plain bad spelling that too many words lose their meaning.

Not to lecture too much on english but how many know the difference between "there", "they're" and "their"? English is such a bastardised language that almost no one speaks it the way they would write it for an english paper in school. If they do then they wonder "what's wrong with what I wrote"?

So is there a fine line between discriminating and not discriminating? No, there isn't. You either do or you don't. I dont' care either way. Is there a fine line between what you think discrimination is and mine? Maybe there is. Do I think that racism and not liking to sit beside large people on a plane are both discrimination? Yes I do, since they both meet the definition.

#35 druss, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  16. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

So are you saying that you should be punished for not liking to sit beside large people on a plane as much as practising rasicm? Of course not. Being a racist is wrong, not liking to sit beside large people on a plane its not wrong. Therefore to clearly divine the 2 different situations, I would rather use two different words. One being “discriminate” and perhaps the other would be “distinguish”. As you said words can have different meaning and over time has lost their meaning. So why don’t we use it correctly? If you can use a more precise word, then why don’t use it? Rather than being too generalise and grey

17. druss

druss Regular Member

I really don't want to take this much further but you don't punish people or not based on the definition of a word but on their actions. Also, whether you get punished or not is not my decision nor yours. That's why there are laws and they will decide and define what should and should not be punished.

Yes those are two different situations but the word still fits. Distinguish means to tell the difference between two, or multiple, things. As in "can you distinguish the difference between the two balls?". It is not an action, you cannot distinguish against a person.

A different example of this are firearms. Many people have negative connations to the word and yet it is just an object. Many horrific crimes have been commited with them but the gun itself is just a gun. It's the person behind the gun that commits the crimes. In the same way, discrimination is a word that describes a certain way of acting. Whether the action is negative or positive does not change the meaning of the word.

You can use whatever words you wish to. As to using the words correctly, you need to understand them before you can do so. In my opinion, I believe the dictionary.com definition is the best, non biased with the least emotional context meaning of the word.

As I said, I don't want to get into an argument here. We both agree that certain things are wrong and I think we're just wasting time now discussing the meaning of a word. Whether a word can be used to describe a negative action or a positive action does not change either the word or the action.

"A rose, by any other name, would smell just as sweet".

18. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Mr. Yoppy,

Please dont take it the wrong way. I meant well when I said I am proud of you. Seriously. No pun intended. Its hard to come across someone who dont discriminate. You are indeed special.

I guess badminton didnt really 'unite' all the races in Indonesia, huh? Yes, what happened in 97 was wrong.

As for me getting into a cab with an Indian driver ... in the first place, why did you chose Indian? Care to tell me why you specifically select the cab driver to be Indian? Why not a Malay driver? or a Chinese driver? or maybe a Punjabi driver? or maybe a native American driver of the Sitting Bull clan?

Ok back to your question ... me in the cab ... err... am I alone or with a friend and is that cab driver a skinny looking chap or is he all muscles?? Anyway, let me assumed that I am alone and I am now in the cab and I dont like the driver because of his race, ok to answer your question, I will not get out because its pretty tough to get a cab in downtown KL. During the ride, I will not talk to the driver and once I reached my destination, I will pay him/her (we do have some women cab drivers) in coins (1sen coins) instead. So, is that discrimination?

19. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Let’s take Chandra and Sigit for example. Sigit comes from a native Indonesian background and Chandra comes from a Chinese background. There are also many other Indonesian players with Chinese background who proudly play for the red and white flag. Indonesia also have many different ethnic groups eg. Javanese, Balinese, etc etc. They unite and blend together in a friendship and good spirit thanks to the sport called “Badminton”. For the people watching on TV it’s a form encouragement that they can live hand in hand together.

As I said I don’t really care of what you think of me as much as im sure you don’t care of what I think of you. Its just make me wonder, do you really read my earlier comment. I just don’t think its right to categories “discrimination” your way.

As for the Indian driver, it was only example. I could have choosen a Malay or Chinese driver or whatever, whats the different? I did not say that Indian is bad!! Its just an example dude.

Let me quote you: “I will not get out because its pretty tough to get a cab in downtown KL”

If you can get a cab easily, would you get out? Just because the driver comes from a particular race

You see, a discrimination is an act (either word or physical actions) not a theory. The negative concept it self comes from within, its up to the person whether to apply or otherwise. However, one should ask if they can hide their feeling forever? Therefore I would argue that, lets say a person really hates a particular race/religion, at some point it will boils up and showed up on his/her actions/words.

Let me quote you again: “Have I ever avoided someone just because of his/her race, *** or age?? Hell yes!!!”

Really?? Example??

20. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Dude,

Let me give you a real life example. LCW is chinese. LWW/CTF, they are chinese too. They all represent our Jalur Gemilang proudly. Yes, sports in Malaysia just like in Indonesia brings the masses together. We cheer together, we laugh together, we celebrate together etc etc. But are we united?? Personally, like you, I would like to think so but the reality is no, we are not. Though we cheer our athletes together, we are clearly divided. Recently, we had a few places of worships nicely 'decorated' among other things. I mean it is nice to say that badminton unites us, but in reality its a different story altogether.

If you dont care what I think of you, its fine. I respect your stand. I have no problems with that. But no matter what, I still think you are a unique person because you dont discriminate.

I was just curious why you chose the driver being an Indian thats all.

Would I have gotten out of the cab if I could catch the next one easily just because of the driver's race? No, because it is still a hassle to catch the next cab.

Really? Yes. Example? Well, I will never go out with fat chicks on a date.