discrimination

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Dominic Hobdell, Jan 23, 2000.

1. T-maker

T-maker Regular Member

Trouble Maker
    Whoa.....

hold on... seems kinda stray off -topic... but i thought this thread is about 'discrimination in badminton'....:D:D:D

racist ? well, yea...i am...:p:p

2. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Racism is wrong but it's part of life. Life is never perfect and sometimes life really sucks.

Yoppy: I feel the pain for the Chinese people in the 97 riots. Those acts were totally inhumane. Discrimination is everywhere, but with corruption and nitwits on the job, discrimination is even more magnified in ID.

Pemuda: You know where Yoppy is heading to. So chill dude.

Now, let's get back on track. Discrimination in Badminton - Yes, a lot of skills discriminating groups. I'm one of them, to some extent. But that is only so because you really want to have fun. And often, fun can mean more competitive games while for some, fun can mean whacking around aimlessly while having a good laugh when a silly shot is made. People have different views to Badminton or any other sports, and so they have varying expectations. Discrimination is everywhere....

3. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Okay, I also discriminate against Yonex.

Yes Yonex.

Mostly beacuse I find the majority of their gear way way overpriced when it cames to badminton.

4. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    I think this topic is about discrimination due to ethic in badminton and nothing to do with how good looking your mix double partner is .

5. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Let me just wrap things up, this thread innitially questioned if discrimination exists in badminton. My answer is YES it exists under both my definition as well as under druss's or pemuda's definition, there is no doubt about that. I think most, if not all, of us know that already and enough said about it too. So whats the point of saying how bad discrimination (inside and outside badminton) is in this forum? Regardless there are many incidents around the world just like what happend in Malaysia recently, that does not proof anything. On the other hand there is no doubt that badminton is a positive force towards many racial/religion/etc issues in many societies

Its IMO that the discussion should be directed toward the opposite, that is the fact that badminton as well as many other sports around the world act as an unifying form againts dsicrmination/racism/war etc etc. Especially in badminton, i think its something that we all can contribute

BTW: the incident in INA was in May 98 not 97

6. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

You are right, sports like badminton brings us together. But whether it unites us, that is a different question in my opinion.

If we look at your below statement;

I think ... in my opinion we all subconsciously discriminate. I mean, Sigit was born in Indonesia. Chandra too was born in Indonesia, I am sure he did not come over to Indonesia on some boat from Jiangsu or something. Thus both Sigit and Chandra should just be Indonesians, period. Whats the native and chinese thingy? Chandra being born in Indonesia, shouldnt he be considered as a native as well?

We dont live in a perfect world simply because we are not perfect.