Crown Group AUSTRALIAN Open 2018 : Qualification-FINAL (8-13 May)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, May 7, 2018.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think they are playing it strategically. Not much chance of winning, Asian games coming up got a world championships coming up. Some key players off form so it's sensible to to plan for the future TC/UC in two years time.

2. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Laksya has shown a good promise. Took a game off Lin Dan last week. Here played quite well against Lee (btter than Sai). Have a feeling he should be an elite player in three years with more experience and if he stays injury-free.

Baddyforall likes this.
  3. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

Other than Angus, these HK singles players are error machines...

4. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Ayumi Mine continues to defy the odds, giving hope to badminton shorties worldwide. Just like in the QF against Han Yue, I didn't think she had much of a chance against Minatsu Mitani. What does she do? Wins both matches in straight games. I'd still bet on Cai Yanyan tomorrow.:D

5. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

FINAL (01.00pm) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...2351D8-4D29-4E7A-B3DB-8CBF2E65CF32&d=20180513

1) Cai Yanyan (CHN) v Ayumi Mine (JPN)
    2) Lu Guangzu (CHN) v Zhou Zeqi (CHN)
    3) Baek Ha Na/Lee Yu Rim (KOR) v Ayako Sakuramoto/Yukiko Takahata (JPN)
    4) Berry Angriawan/Hardianto (INA) v Wahyu Nayaka Arya Pangkaryanira/Ade Yusuf Santoso (INA)
    5) Chan Peng Soon/Goh Liu Ying (MAS) v Seo Seung Jae/Chae Yujung (KOR)

The organizer puts singles matches to be first two finals, it's unusual arrangement but understandable this time since all finalists are underdogs with 100 something of world ranking and few to predict them cruising into last round.

18 years old Cai Yanyan eliminates Cheung Ngan Yi, the same opponent she beat in Macau Open semifinal last year. It's close opening game between two players, neck to neck encounter until end of first set, 21-19. In next game, HKG player looks little bit tired particularly when she tends to produce uncharacteristic errors that deliver advantage for her younger rival. Cai will take on Ayumi Mine who had pretty good result in 2016, won US Open GP Gold and TPE Masters GP but after that rarely to see her in more tournaments, she nailed Osaka IC recently. Mine ousts more favoured comptriot Minatsu Mitani with identical scoreline, 21-17 / 21-17, back to back semifinal losing for Mitani after suffered same fate last week, it's really fierce WS competition in Japan.

All Chinese affairs in men's singles represented by the back-ups players, 21 years old Lu Guangzu and 20 years old Zhou Zeqi. Still fresh from memory, Lu stood on Ling Shui Masters Super 100 podium last April, lost to Lin Yu Hsien there. He rectify uninspiring result last week, failed to book main draw in Auckland. Lu had tough opening match to overcome Heo Kwang Hee then he stunned the highest ranked opponent en route to final, Sameer Verma. In semifinal, Lu plays sloppy in first game before he find the rhythm to down teammate Zhao Junpeng. On the opposite draw Zhou Zeqi emerges to reach maiden final in international tournament, Zhou has good run along this event, passed 5th seed Tommy Sugiarto in last eight and 7th seed Lee Cheuk Yiu today. He plays patient style to answer Lee CY explosive shots, this HKG young man can't control his attacking smash accurately.

Women's doubles final presents two bright talent pairs from Japan and Korea, last week champion Sakuramoto/Takahata against reigning WJC Baek HN/Lee YR. The Korean juniors show maturity performance and will be the pair to watch out in future years. Both finalists have typical similar character, steely determination and good fighting spirit. Baek/Lee shock top-seed Aratama/Watanabe while the Japanese second seed reverse their fellow countrywomen result, defeat Korean scratch pair Chae YH/Kim HJ in semifinal clash. China is trailing behind to produce stellar combination, once they're so powerful and unbeatable in this department.

Indonesia nails one title from their specialization, men's doubles discipline where they have long tradition to create many top notch achievements. Angriawan/Hardianto will redeem their Auckland defeat against Nayaka/Santoso, the latter won their first meeting early this year in THA Masters Super 300. Top-seed Angriawan/Hardianto tackle Attri/Reddy comfortably, the Indian duo look under pressure and depressed particularly B. Sumeeth Reddy who made many errors in second game while Indonesians have more relax gesture. Nayaka/Santoso outclass lower-ranked Japanese rival Matsui/Takeuchi, 21-17 / 21-11, the quickest duration in semifinal round.

Former Malaysian number one pair Chan/Goh slowly to climb on elite level since made comeback debut early 2018. They edge out China experimenting combination Wang ZK/Li YH, 21-16 / 25-23. Goh Liu Ying is faster and more experienced at front area than Li Yinhui who didn't perform outstanding lately. Korea coach splits two established partnerships, Seo SJ/Kim HN and Choi SG/Chae YJ and it works well so far, Seo SJ/Chae YJ make back to back final and will pose tricky test for Rio OG silver medalists tomorrow.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The CHN MS who flopped miserably last week at NZ Open have more or less redeemed themselves here, except Ren Pengbo, with three of them in the semifinals and setting up an all-CHN affair for the title bout.

Zhao Junpeng after taking G1 comfortably couldn't finish off Lu Guangzu in G2 in a tight game , losing narrowly and even allowed the latter to come back strongly in the deicider.

The young hopeful, 18-year-old Cai Yanyan, is somewhat of a surprise finalist and will face Ayumi Mine who denied her more established colleague Mitani Minatsu a place in the final, a bit unexpected for me. Apparently MM is no longer what she used to be or once was. By the way, it surprised me that Ayumi Mine is already 25 years old, only one year junior to Mitani.

Could Cheung Ngan Yi's slight abdominal muscle pull in the second half of G1 contribute to her straight-set defeat ? Cai Yanyan played well enough to beat CNY , however, I find her game a bit too error-prone to my liking as she often chose the right shot but wrong execution. The good thing is she seems to have bulk up a little and I also like her smashes close to the lines, something which Intanon Ratchanok is known for with remarkable and sometimes devastating effect although it entails higher risks of error.

I suppose we should learn to expect more and more players from the younger generation starting to make their presence felt in the lower tier events where the usual suspects are absent.

7. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

CYY too good today, many precise smashes down the line. No wonder she won.

8. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

I'm surprised that the umpire called so many non-continuous serve faults... thought pros would know better. A smooth continuous action produces better quality shots than a non-continuous one...

9. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Cai Yanyan capitalises her height against much shorter opponent, her overhead smash really contributes for today's triumphant. Cai is more aggressive, pro-active, typical attacking player. Ayumi Mine can't do too much to balance Cai as the Japanese player often flat footed. Second title in senior years for 18 years old Cai YY after Macau Open GP Gold 2017, looks good prospect for this teenager.

In all Chinese affairs, Lu Guangzu is out as a champion, he plays smarter and applies more variation shots than Zhou Zeqi who's quite monoton gameplan, tight net-shot and followed up by jumping smash. It's beginning for Lu GZ who made debut in international tournament in KOR GP Gold, November 2017 after he bagged 2017 CHN National Games bronze medalist. Who will join China A-team member next? Some names are eyeing that spot, Huang Yuxiang, Qiao Bin, Zhao Junpeng, Lu Guangzu, Zhou Zeqi. A very hard efforts are needed to create breakthrough in high competitive men's singles discipline nowadays.

Back to back title for Japan new hotshots Sakuramoto/Takahata who display steady performance to tame Korean juniors Baek HN/Lee YR, credit to current WJC who show never say die attitude to fight until the end of match. Angriawan/Hardianto take revenge over Nayaka/Santoso, real match is served in deciding game after both pairs take one game all in lop-sided fashion. Sensational win is scored by two left-handers Seo SJ/Chae YJ who clinch XD title, they're only paired up last week in NZL Open, what a promising outlook. The Koreans outmaneuver Malaysian vast experienced pair Chan PS/Goh LY, the Malaysians lead 15-11 then 16-12 but Seo/Chae reject them to force rubber games. Chae YJ is really agile, moving all around with fast interception and nice placement.

Next HSBC-BWF World Tour will continue to US Open Super 300, 12-17 June where Lin Dan has registered name in M/Q Report version 1 => https://bwfextranet.com/docs/events/3216/docs/USA Open 2018 _ M _ Q Verssion 1 _Updated Friday, 11th May 2018_.xlsx

Justin L likes this.
  10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

What a surprise but glad that Lin Dan is going to play the US Open HSBC BWF WTS300 event, a rare occurrence, all the way across the Pacific Ocean. He will be accompanied by several young compatriots, Huang Yuxiang, Zhao Junpeng, Lu Guangzu(Q), Zhou Zeqi (R1), Sun Feixiang (R3) and WS Gao Fangjie (!), Han Yue(Q), Cai Yanyan (Q), Li Xuerui (7), Li Yun (R9).

I supposed Lin Dan is going there in answer to Yonex's call and perhaps at BWF's request to do his part in promotional activities.

I'm afraid, Li Xuerui as reserve No.7, may not get to participate unless six others higher in the list make way or withdraw.

Wonder if they will follow through with the CAN Open WTS100 event the following week.

11. wade

wade Regular Member

I like chae yj more than arisa higashino. congrats seo/chae!

12. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Both the Chinese MS in the final were quite impressive.. That second game was one of the most entertaining one and of the highest quality.

Justin L and nilesh123 like this.
  13. visor

visor Regular Member

Can you imagine if higashino partnered chae in WD? That would be incredible!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk