Crown Group AUSTRALIAN Open 2018 : Qualification-FINAL (8-13 May)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, May 7, 2018.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I forgot to mention Sai Praneeth who should be counted in the running for the title as well.

2. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Go Sony... go. Where is Lee Hyun-il by the way?

3. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Even i thought that. Usually , he is a regular participant in Super 300 tournaments.

4. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Tournament level got downgraded. It used to be super series, and I don't think it was 750k either.

5. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    ...because the host/organizer couldn't guarantee enough money for the next 4 years. not a penny of prize money comes from bwf. they will grade a tournament solely based on how much $ you can offer.

pcll99 likes this.
  6. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Yup, based on BWF database, his DOB : 19 October 1996.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Am I seeing a different Lu Guangzu today, actually I sense him playing pretty well but thought it's a one-off thing. The way he overwhelmed Sameer in attack and defence with speed, power and better anticipation is remarkable. If this is his true potential, then he'll go far as he has more international exposure and gain the requisite experience, but it's only the QFs, consistency is what's needed to come out tops.

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think Sony is tired

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Zhao Junpeng did it in three sets over Sony. Zhao's more of a rallying stroke player, though his speed seems to have improved a bit, I feel it can be better, but somehow he managed to wear down the 11 years older, albeit much more experienced, man with long punishing rallies.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Meanwhile Zhou Zeqi is one game to the game against Tommy, 21-12 in G1

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think Tommy's supreme fitness and good stamina can help him ride the storm. Let's see how it goes.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

No Hawk-Eye for Ct1 at the Quarterfinals, unlike the NZ Open last week, if I'm not wrong ?

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In the end Zhou Zeqi prevailed over Tommy Sugiarto in two straight sets, 21-12, 21-15, just when I thought we might have a decider.

I must say, though ZZQ is not well-built, his stamina is quite good, can match Tommy's, the way he runs all over the court and keeps going and going.

Perhaps TS at age 29 is beginning to show a bit of his age.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If Han Yue couldn't handle Ayumin Mine, it'd be worse when she's up against the well-known and established Mitani Minatsu, who should be favourite for the title now, I think.

15. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

at this rate there won't be INA representative tomorrow:eek::eek::eek:

16. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

17-2 in 7 minutes LOL what a joke

17. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

Well at least still have the MD. Same fate as IND but with an extra pair of MD.

18. Baddyforall

Lol. I never thought even in my dream that there will be a indian MD pair in Semifinals.
    All indian Men's Singles got bundled out before Semis.
    Even worse thing to be noted here is the players who lost today were 2nd and 3rd singles selected for Team India for Thomas Cup.
    Are you kidding me!
    Terrible.
    India is going there to Thailand just for participation ? Don't they consider Thomas/Uber cup as big events?

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

#38 Baddyforall, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
  19. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

SEMIFINAL (01.00pm) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...2351D8-4D29-4E7A-B3DB-8CBF2E65CF32&d=20180512

The battle of youngsters will cast 2018 AUS Open men's singles semifinal, they have quite same age, 21 & 22 years old. The energetic Lu Guangzu frustrates one of title contenders Sameer Verma as the Indian can't read his opponent style of play well, totally off-form by Verma. Then Zhao Junpeng edges out 2004 Athens OG bronze medalist Sony Dwi Kuncoro in rubber games, later on Zhou Zeqi overcome more fancied rival Tommy Sugiarto, the Indonesian has good start at game 2 but Zhou shows resilience and overtakes the command until end of match. The trend continues when strong favourite Sai Praneeth also lost to another up-and-coming player, Lee Cheuk Yiu, 21-23 / 13-21. Overall, it's a tight encounter until interval break of second game, thereafter Praneeth starts to be error-prone and can't handle his explosive opponent. China has guaranteed one final berth through Lu GZ versus Zhao JP while Lee CY will take on Zhou ZQ tomorrow. All semifinalists must capitalise golden opportunity in this quite tournament to gain valuable ranking points and upgrade their world ranking.

Minatsu Mitani is all the way to march on into last four at back to back Oceania tour and will meet teammate Ayumi Mine, last week Sayaka Takahashi halted Mitani at same stage in Auckland, this time she's favoured to step up further. Top-half of draw, Cheung Ngan Yi drops opening games against unheralded Japanese player Yukino Nakai before come back to grab next two games. Cheung will find China last hopeful in this discipline Cai Yanyan, a rematch of last year Macau Open semifinal. Cai eliminated her compatriots in last two rounds, Ji Shuting and Zhang Yiman.

Men's doubles top-two seeds have contrast fashion to book semis, Angriawan/Hardianto relatively comfortable to pass Japan low-ranked pair Takano/Tsukamoto whilst Nayaka/Santoso experience thrilling moment to defeat Korean tricky test Choi SG/Seo SJ, 21-19 / 14-21 / 23-21. Next, the top-seed will find Indian hurdles Attri/Reddy and second seed are expected to win over world #80 Matsui/Takeuchi. JPN-KOR will face off in women's doubles final four, Aratama/Watanabe against the rising stars Baek HN/Lee YR, the other duel will pit newly-crowned NZL Open champion Sakuramoto/Takahata versus Chae YJ/Kim HJ.

A suprise package, the unranked Wang ZK/Li YH stun Malaysian number one duo Goh SH/Shevon Lai convincingly, 21-17 / 21-13. The Chinese will meet another MAS pair, more experienced and former world number three Chan PS/Goh LY. Korea splits their mixed doubles and they do well so far, Seo SJ/Chae YJ and Choi SG/Kim HN will facing each other tomorrow. Indonesia camp fail to gain benefit in this tournament where not many elite pairs participate.

LIVE TV COVERAGE (Court 1) :

1) Wang Zekang/Li Yinhui (CHN) v Chan Peng Soon/Goh Liu Ying (MAS)
    2) Cai Yanyan (CHN) v Cheung Ngan Yi (HKG)
    3) Zhou Zeqi (CHN) v Lee Cheuk Yiu (HKG)
    4) Berry Angriawan/Hardianto (INA) v Manu Attri/Reddy B.Sumeeth (IND)
    5) Chae Yujung/Kim Hye Jeong (KOR) v Ayako Sakuramoto/Yukiko Takahata (JPN)
    6) Keiichiro Matsui/Yoshinori Takeuchi (JPN) v Wahyu Nayaka Arya P./Ade Yusuf Santoso (INA)

It'sMeMeMe, Cheung and Baddyforall like this.
  20. Baddyforall

As usual, you have given a fantastic description.
    Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk