Congratulations Lin Dan :)

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open / Korea Open 2011' started by volcom, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    This post mortem is really going nowhere, except creating disharmony.

A very intense finals has just finished. Both players are literally in their own world, overtaken by different emotions. They are not sworn enemies of each other; yet we take up their opposing causes like the honour of our families and countries depended on it.:eek::) I think a little perspective is called for...

This is not the first time Lin Dan has run off in the opposite direction from his opponent after winning a title, and it won't be the last. Also, it is not the first time LCW has shown a grumpy side of his personality, and it won't be the last. Can't we just leave it at that?

If you wish to point fingers, maybe you should point the biggest ones at the coaches and team managers who have not yet trained these players to become good role models and show respect to the game and the opponents.

Congratulations to LD for winning the KO. Maybe the next round belongs to LCW. :)

2. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Did he or did he not shake LD hand? Why don't u tell us what should LCW do?

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I always shake hand with my opponent first

Agree, we can read into the last few posts that some disharmony is brewing. :eek::eek::eek:

Let's talk about shaking hand after a match.

To me, I always shake hand with my opponent first;

1. At Social Games, whether I win or lose, I would say: "Thanks for the game"
    2. At Competitions (after winning), I would just shake hand with smile
    3. At Competitions (after losing), I would say: "Congratulations, Well Done"
    4. Then I would thank the umpire, lines judges and spectators
    5. Pack my bag and walk away to the change room

If 1, 2 or 3 does not happen first (my opponent doesn't want to shake my hand first), I would do 4 and 5 (without waiting).

My opponent can shake my hand later (Maybe in the change room, or at the presentation ceremony).

#103 chris-ccc, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  4. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    No.1-5 that's what the players should practice as you mentioned, either 1-5 or 1-3 then 4-5 :)

Otherwise it really look funny with the loser standing near the net and the winner running around ..hahahaha

I think this has become a norm already :)

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

New thread: We can talk about all players, and not just about LD and LCW

I have started this thread, located at;

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/94551-Badminton-Etiquette-after-a-match

so that we can talk about all players, and not just about LD and LCW.
    :):):)

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think the first thing to do for the winner is to shake his opponent's hand with or without saying anything. The least said the better say, like "Thank you" unless they are known to be good friends.

Coaches should instil this manner of courtesy to their charges right from the beginning to demonstrate good sportsmanship.

After the handshake, the winner can then celebrate and thank his coaches, but please don't leave his opponent stranded, waiting to congratulate the winner. ;)

7. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Have you seen this? I am not picking at LD but this is how your idol behaved after a defeat.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4DgQjSsVSc&NR=1

8. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Arrogance by dictionary definition: "offensive display of superiority or self-importance; overbearing pride." Someone please explain how on earth LCW was arrogance (by not shaking LD hand), if there is any arrogance at all in that match, it was clearly LD who ran off to the crowd without giving any thoughts whatsoever that LCW was there standing and waiting to congratulate him. That was a selfish, disrespect and arrogace. And to find someone here at BC commenting how LCW was sore loser is just unbelievable, since its more like LD is an arrogance winner.

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

How your idol behaved after a defeat says it all

What nokh88 has posted makes us think twice.

10. tsae75

tsae75 Regular Member

Developer
    was that the infamous li mao incident? if it is, i believe lin dan was instigated by many incidents on court that led to his outburst shown on the clip. technically speaking, lin dan was the better player in that match and should have won the game but due to 'external factors', the game was lost and lin dan's frustration is understandable. that was a young lin dan and i believe he has grown from that incident to become a better person both on and off-court.

on the video, i noticed he actually walked towards lee hyun-il with the intention to congratulate him but apparently lee seem to have ignored or missed him. but it is clear lee didn't make the effort to go over to lin dan the same manner that lin dan had done to lcw.

lin dan was arrogant then but i reckon he is beyond that today....until such time when he is instigated again by someone like li mao i guess. well, we have to watch future nail-biting matches like this one to see how the plot unfolds.

11. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

As the Youtube clip shown (anyone watched some badminton should recall many such examples), celebrating before shaking opponent's hand after a big win is not a LD exclusive. It would be classier for LD to stay longer for a handshake, but he did make the customary attempt at the handshake before walking away.

At KO, LCW was perfectly reasonable to not wait at the net or court side for the handshake. But once LD approached him, he should at least turn around for a quick handshake.

I think we can all understand how LCW felt at that point. LCW does not seem a bad person, there is no need to drag this on.

If BWF sees this as a problem, just make it an official protocol to shake hands first. It would not be a bad thing.

12. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    friend
    u dont even open the link and watch
    yet
    u comment like it was so true
    watch before comment
    thanks

13. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Ya, Li Mao was there alright and lee hyun-il played for Malaysia lol

In the video, your idol ld walked away without the hand shake,

that was probably the smartest thing a loser could do

given the winner lcw was too busy then ....:D

14. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

I think this thread has serve its purposes. Given that a troll revived this thread when this should be archieved weeks ago. And no credit to those who entertained the trolls because this thread would have been in a much better shape have you guys choose not to reply.
    Seriously, who cares if he think LCW is a loser? Who is he to judge LCW anyway?

I always have my skeptic when the mods leave thread like this open(threads like LCW vs LD in almost every single tournament) and it has been proven time and time again, the only direction this sort of threads can go is--down.

Fans from each side try their very best to put off the other side(and try to glorify their idols at the same time) and the thread eventually degenerates into a flame feast or petty arguments with no significant meaning behind it. Hey, you are picking on the players just because they did not hand shake after a match or he did not raise his hand after a netcord? What's wrong with you? Are you running out of ideas what to discuss here and how petty can you be?

I for one think that many of us here need to grow up.

#114 lcleing, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  15. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Please watch the clip before you start answering other people.

16. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    It's pointless to argue with these people. Where can you find LHI in this video??? And they are not ashamed of themselves.

17. ieim_17

ieim_17 Regular Member

Student
    Tsae75

Lol from accusing LCW of arrogant, Kumpong boy who can`t even handle interview etc, criticizing Morten Frost like he just raped ur mother to pretending that u`ve seen the video that nokh88 posted, u are the worst debater I`ve ever seen in my entire life! just full of BS.

Well, that`s just my opinion, I dont have a strong basis, but wait a second, neither do u

18. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Fair comment, just to avoid the impression that only a 23 year old LD in 2006 can throw tantrums, here is a video of another popular player throwing tantrums and not displaying good etiquette.
    In fact many European players have been guilty of it too.
    The reason for LD's outburst is obvious, not at his opponent but as a soldier of PLA at Li Mao.
    I have no complaint on LCW's conduct,I think he should adapt to the modern world and stop being a nice guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkZvJYJqV4o

#118 Bbn, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  19. ieim_17

ieim_17 Regular Member

Student
    To be fair, etiquette is just it, an etiquette, it`s different in cultures and sports. Like in football, players always insulting other opponent to wind them up, whereas in sumo, you can`t even tell who won the fight because to show an emotion is deemed as disrespectful to your opponent.

I`m not suprised if european players show their emotion because mainly european are more open in expressing their feeling compared with asian people.

for me as long as you don`t shout to your opponent and tease them, it`s understandable.

In case of LD outburst during the match with LHI, it`s very unprofessional. I dont care if players scream like monkey after they won a match, but confronting other people just because a bad line call, even though Li Mao might said something that irritates LD, he as a professional player must not in any condition, conduct what he had done.
    But that`s LD of the past, i`m sure he is more matured as a player and a role-model not just for people of China, but the whole badminton world as well.

on the side note, what happened to LSS now?i remembered him as a very promising player indeed!

20. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Yes promising , but seemed to hit a ceiling after a while.

I think he's doing some private coaching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.