coaching your GF

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by a_d_y_a, Feb 9, 2006.

1. QpigQ

QpigQ Regular Member

student
    wow... u r a good good bf... haa haa...

me and my bf are in the same skol team... we both r #1 (me play mix, he play double last year,and single this year)...

last year... before we have (gf/bf) relationship... when ever i ask him to teach me... he always teach me...

but this year... i'm his gf... wellx... when i ask him to teach me... he just acting like he didn't hear that... and he also become more interesting to teach other ppl... mostly girls... sign~

yah... so i think... u r a good good bf la... just think more way to teach ur gf la... i can tell... she can play well at one day... b/c girls are smart~! haa haa

2. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    lol oh i know those well:D :D :p

3. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    Then she'll goes
    R u seriously wanting to teach me or WHat

So you be more serious and point out her errors and she goes
    Why are u yelling at me

So you use a more polite, more calm tone to point what she did Right instead of what she did wrong and she gives you a speical treatmenat that nite.

4. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    I am training my a girl at the moment

proper warm ups firstly, running lightly and stretching
    different foot work drills (slowly at first)
    show the person how to scissor and skip
    how to move backwards (running)
    moving between the six points of the court

correct grips,
    how to hit the shuttle forehand/backhand
    net play - tumble

clearing
    drop, net, lift (each diagonal)
    clear, clear, drop, net and lift
    clear, drop, net, lift, smash
    drop ,net, or smash, and lift

smash, block (placing the return) and lift

Some people train to play better, some people train because they just want to play badminton. You have to have patience.

5. morewood

morewood Regular Member

been in a very similar sittuation to yourself, for the good of our relationship we as coach and student decided to part company after a short time of her learning, if she wants to play again she will get someone else to tutor her.

Best advice is dont expect much.

6. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    Also depends on which is more important to her: Relationship or badminton? In my opinion, it all depends on her, so only push her as far as she wants to go. No matter what though, have fun, and good luck!

7. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    teach her slowly demo to her, be patient the fact that she had no interest in badminton and is willing to take it up just because YOU being her boyfriend loves badminton, and you do not know how that gift works? and she doesnt have much falir for the game it will take time for her to get interested but if you keep giving her bad experiences she will lose her interest.

8. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    may i know what is wellx?

9. gabxzz

gabxzz Regular Member

student
    sighs... singaporeans...

10. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    school team couple....sounds really romantic.

11. toddster

toddster Regular Member

Grad. Student PE instructor
    I recommend that you never coach or play mixed with your G/F.

Good luck,
    Toddster

12. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Or anyone who you want a close relationship with. I know as a 15/16 year old I played men’s doubles with my dad, not a good mixture on the badminton court in a competitive sense. We still occasionally play together at a recreational level (he’s 63 now) and even that can generate a smoldering resentment.

13. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

haha, my high school team coach is a member of my family.

14. Sen_jie

Sen_jie Regular Member

Student
    bro i fully understand how u feel. coz i am teaching my gf to play badminton too.m she is a petite lady at 1.55m tall and doesn;t even hav the strength to full swing the racket. the first few session we do hav abit of disagreement, and she even had the thought of giving up.
    then i realise that, we expect too much from them. so, instead of teaching her the foowork and how to grip the racket or hit the ball, jus let her be herself and play a normal game. serve a net ball to her, and let her be able to hit the ball. sounds simple right? but it maybe tough to them. after she managed to hit the ball over the net decently(which already took ard 3months, playing once a week) then i slowly let her run abit to "catch" the ball.... by then, she will be begging u to teach her on the footwork as she is is totally addcited to badminton. haha

hope this helps.

currently my gf plays for ard 1year and can serve a ball decently, and can drop ball, as well as play net ball decently.

cheers

15. chookster

chookster New Member

info on korean coaching

Hey could you let me know where & who to contact to get some decent intensive coaching in Korea: a Jae Lee Bok prodigy sounds good! Want to mix a week or two's badminton coaching for me and partner with a vacation : Korea sounds intriguing:cool: !
    Currently guess i'm an intermediate player ( local leagues in the UK) and want to try and shift my game up a notch or two

16. slamie

slamie Regular Member

IMO, when u teach her, just be patient, although both of u got frustrated, no need to yell or mad at each other. In my experience coaching my friend, I just teach them step by step from basic hit to smashes/drop shot,

For me, I just use logic to explain to her coz If I teach her technically, she won't get it. And surprisingly she can understand and do what I explain to her using that logic things and she play quite good now.

So i think both of u just need time. Just play regularly and tell her if she do sumtin wrong. Remember, not everyone can absorb sports technique easily, It might be harder to teach someone that never do sports than someone that always play sports or good at other sports.

Just enjoy ur time, since u said that she won't learn if she's being coach by other people rite? then it means she trust that u can teach her well enough. Moreover, she's ur girlfriend, just teach her patientlyand of course with full of love, haha...Coz no one know the power of love...lol...
    Hope this help

slam

17. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    when i was young, the best way to start is use a small portion of the court. like mini tennis. just concentrate on letting her hitting the shuttle regularly. then, use a wider area. and more skills. bit by bit. i agree that start it as easy and fun and when she is addicted, only then you get serious. :D

18. Hitsugaya

Hitsugaya Regular Member

Student
    well one thing i can advise at this time, cuz i'm gonna be killed if i dont go to bed soon, just putting this out there, i'm only 17, just make sure ur both enjoying it. Make it seem like fun instead of practise, for example when she messes up ease her guilt. Like u know tell her "it's all rite" and stuff, make her laugh and smile while practising, that should help u teach her more easily...trust me i've had this experience...i'll put more advice tomorrow during accounting lmao

19. williamboo

williamboo Regular Member

Hi, i don't know if i m fit to say this since i m just an assistant coach, just getting trained up to become a coach. I m a patience guy myself and i think this is the most important thing to keep in mind as a coach. Everything have to be learn step by step and not to rush and of course, not every person can master a technique in a short time so it takes quite a while to really able to get the shots right or grip right. Give more encouragement and praise your gf more often, so that she doesn't get frustrated. It works for me as an assistant coach, encouragement and patience. If you can give them a smile sometimes it will be even better. That's what i do when i coach. But for a good coach, mostly they are strict but with a little bit of smile, you may break down the barrier between coach and student. There are times to be strict and times to be friendly so just how we use those thing at a suitable situation.

20. MSHSBadmPlayer

MSHSBadmPlayer Regular Member

1. Patience
    2. Patience
    3. Patience

once you have those 3 listed above, you are ready to start.

as a coach of primary school students, i feel that i can offer some help. however, without patience, im pretty sure your gf will be turned off after some time.

firstly, you have to treat your gf as a complete newbie, which means to teach her things like ways to hold the shuttlecock, forehand/backhand grip. YOU HAVE TO EXPLAIN AND EXPLAIN AND EXPLAIN, instead of just holding her hands and force her into holding the racket the correct way. teach her how to do it herself.

also, whenever she is doing something wrong, stop whatever both of you are doing and correct it. its PERFECTLY NORMAL for her grip to be wrong at times (most of the time actually). she isnt born with a racket in her hand! you just have to change it back when its wrong again and again again and again again and again again and again.

AND do not progress too fast! its amusing that you are already teaching her how to do an OVERHEAD (lobbing?) shot at day 7. at day7, most of my students will still be doing forehand lobbing with body facing the net, right hand up, wrist back and wrist hit the shuttle at the highest point. she has to get the basics right first!!!

I think partly because I have been playing for such a long time, I take everything for granted. -> you should NEVER do this. also, this proves that a professional player is not equal to a professional coach.

and there are more things than just these. for example, making your trainings attractive, fun, enjoyable (yes, this applies to all levels of play), yet the quality of training is maintained and your student learnt something from this training. if your training is just multi shuttles all the way, you'll probably not see her holding a racket again.

just my two cents, im more than happy if anyone can correct me if im wrong.