coaching your GF

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by a_d_y_a, Feb 9, 2006.

1. hopsmashpro

hopsmashpro Regular Member

Student
    haha yer, my friend had the same problem. Her lil bro won't listen to her or the older brother who are both state championships. So now I have to coach him and he listens to every word i say @_@~

2. daddxd

daddxd Regular Member

Did you have experience to teach your wife or GF to drive? If so, you should know you will get the same feeling as you teach her badminton.You know what? A joke is: teaching your wife or GF to drive is a quickest way to get divorced or apart.

If you really want to teach her, 1) lower your expectation and be patient; 2) always encourage her for any tiny improvement and forgive her for any fault. However, it is always hard to do, easy to say, isn't it? :p

3. Dealucis

Dealucis Regular Member

CONGRATULATIONS! You just discovered how women works :D :D. But on a serious note, you should just tell her that if she wants to learn, she has to follow the basics you're teaching. If she keeps going amok, then, i think you should consider a looking for a new girl. Hate to think how after marriage life is going to be like, when you can't get along even when trying to teach/learn badminton.

4. Moggy

Moggy Regular Member

I think to coach someone you have to have a certain level of authority, which most males in a relationship DOESN'T have :p. Might be easier finding her a coach or just a friend to coach her...

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Maybe..

..a_d_y_a's gf was teaching & testing him how to be............................patient..;)
    Anyway, just make it a fun time playing with whoever you guys are teaching....esp. with beginners..:cool: ;)

#45 ctjcad, May 10, 2008
    Last edited: May 10, 2008
  6. trainedtotrain

trainedtotrain Regular Member

trainer
    Hi guys,

It is not easy to be a coach. One must love the job and most importantly have the passion.

Authority is not given by yourself because you are a coach. Authority is given and accepted by the athlete themself.

Before you give any instructions to the athlete to do any physical or technical skill drills you must convince them that what you met out for them is able to bring them to the next phase of improvement.

It is an open discussion and if the athlete throw in questions you must be ready to answer and explain to them.

Till they have no doubt they will respect your training ideas and drills and they will work together with you.

I have been training athletes from age 9 to adults. Different age groups have different ways of teaching.

I am sure with my advise you soon will be able to teach your loved ones the game.

7. quintessence

quintessence Regular Member

Certified Badminton Coach
    Hi ADYA,

This is a very practical problem. There are so many excellent sugguestions/recommendations here.

In two instances, two adults requested coaching instructions from me during plays on court. In both of these cases, they are too "defensive" or "intimidated" to admit their mistakes on court as I pointed out to them. Finally I had to admit that I am not specialized to coach adult, and I resigned.

I think one of the sugguestion that watching badminton competitions videos together is a very good approach in your case. If both of you have the patience to view the same badminton game repeatedly and analyst the weaknesses of the players in the game, then much of your problem will be solved. Many people cannot take criticism, especially in front of other people. Criticizing a third person and learn from their mistakes seems to be a better alternative. Then you will just practice a stoke/skill that is of particular interest to both of you.

One final sugguestion: you need to coach your own temper! The harder you yell your ideas across to your partner, the lesser she will be able to understand you!

Good luck in your coaching!
    Quintessence

8. ragen

ragen Regular Member

student
    hi...im also "teaching" my gf playing badminton.
    once i told her i will be very happy if she pick up badminton. and months later, she decided to learn.she ask me to teach, but i said no, i said, we just play together and we will learn together.

yea, she wants me to hit the shuttle to her. and be pampered, so, i start off with that and slowly make her run.

we jsut started a few weeks ago and she likes the game.
    she is 19 and almost totally new to badminton. guys, surprisingly, she has a very very good reaction time. she can pick up almost all the smashes, net smashes, drop, angle smash, smash to body and all kinda shot that most fresher can not take. even she has no footwork and holt the grip very wrongly, she can return the shuttle. i was surprise too. she can jump and lunge excectly at the shuttle when it was rolling on the net.(even she hit it long). she return the shuttle anywhere, no excact direction, but the thing is, she is more than fast enough to hit the shuttle back.

because of her footwork really bad, she often tumble when moving back ward when taking clear shoot, but she can stand up so quickly and at least hit the shuttle(hitt he net)

she refuse to learn footwork as she does not want to be tired, and she say, at least she can take most of the smashes.

any idea to make her learn footwork? hmm, wait, the problem lies on my shot or she is just have fast reaction?

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Hard...

1. She seems only wants to have fun rather than progress in a long run. Can not and no need to push.

2. She's already better than most beginners. Therefore, even less motivation for her to "trash the old" and "accpet the new".

10. ragen

ragen Regular Member

student
    yuo, you are right, she can actually win all the girls and some of the boys when we had class badminton gethering last sunday. win by just able to return the shuttle over. most of the classmate is not trained ones(including me).

11. pchospital

pchospital Regular Member

PC servcing and DIY PC
    Foot work

IF she does tumble, have she got herself a pair of good badminton shoes?
    It is important as she may hurt her legs, do take note if you are the caring bf:crying:

Ur wanting her to learn foot work must go slow. It will take time before one wants to really excel more in the game.:)

Try bring her to places where there are better players, then she will realize that she actually cant pick up many shuttle:cool:

12. ragen

ragen Regular Member

student
    yup, we bought the shoe when she start pick up the sport.
    last night, she play with a lady who is rather good to me. she lost, it was 16-21 and 15-21. she got no preparation pose when recieving the service, and know nothing about smashing. all she know is to pick the shuttle and just hit it hard. where the lady have even more provetional movement than me. i was shock she can score that many. all the score come form the "accidentally" drive to the base line blindly, and return smash eg. the lady smash, she pick, and the lady was dead ont he spot and unable to take the return.

she say, aya, see dont need footwork also can almost win her. i said, if have footwork, may be can trash her.

she said, aya no need to be so competetive la...

nothing to say

i realise, her step was small and fast, the style of hitting is like those who play at the back yard during BBQ party and for fun(as long as the shuttle go over type), she can control the distance between the body and shuttle during hitting. she dive for the shuttle alot(i think because she often not in the position), and stand up very quickly. she can pick up alot of the shuttelk when opponent tap the shuttle from the net.

i think if she train well she will be a really good player

13. Azianhero

Azianhero Regular Member

lol not to offend the girls out there but girls can be trouble to guys. As said from everybody else out there, patience is the number one thing that a coach needs. Also being mad at your GF isn't gunna improve her. Like 7 days isn't going to get her anywhere and in fact it probably takes at least 3-5 years to realize how hard the sport is and her learning style is also important. As a coach, you must be able to identify your GF's or players learning style because they WILL learn faster tat way. Examples would be a visual or kinetic learner. She might be able to learn faster if u demo how it looks like, or maybe she learns better by touching and maybe you'll have to hold her hand and show her the movement. Also you must be able to point out the mistakes and making sure that its the correct way to move on the court or the correct way to swing. Now you guys may be young but if u decided to become some sort of coach and depending on how long the relationship is gunna last, i suggest you sign up for a coaching degree and it can be just level 1, you don't really need level 2 or 3.

toddster, thats quite mean of you to say that. He can teach his gf if he wants to or played mixed with her. This forum is not a place to bash players who just needs a word of advice or learn something. If your joking its not a good one.

#53 Azianhero, May 16, 2009
    Last edited: May 16, 2009
  14. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Well, get her to practice with you and play single with her. Then get her running. Maybe then she'll realize your point. But do go easy on her, as girls... I dunno, I don't particularly like to smash them, but then, my specialty is smashing.....

15. pchospital

pchospital Regular Member

PC servcing and DIY PC
    Girls/ ladies

I personally feel while in the court, there are no so call girls or ladies:crying:
    All of us in the court are the same; and like what i tell all payers, all of us in the court are 25 yrs old and there is no old man or girls:cool:

16. babytaru

babytaru Regular Member

Student
    I would like to coach my gf if i have one hahahaha.just play with better players to improve.:)

17. Nextech0

Nextech0 Regular Member

This isn't a problem for me because my girlfriend can beat me... lol.

I'm trying to coach my neighbour, though, which has proved to be quite difficult. I find myself amazed at how good coaches remain so patient when their students just don't get it. No matter how much I try to hammer the proper form into his head, he keeps running straight backwards when the bird goes over his head and sprinting into the net when I drop it. I have yet to completely lose my temper, but I have learned how hard and frustrating coaching can be.