China team withdrew from SS Final

Discussion in 'Super Series Master Finals 2008' started by huangkwokhau, Dec 11, 2008.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    A great idea to organise a Badminton goodwill tour to various parts of the world

RedShuttle ... It's a great idea to organise a Badminton goodwill tour to various parts of the world.

IMHO, the reality is:
    (1) National players: They play Badminton because they enjoy it. They would probably wish to share their enjoyment with the rest of the world.
    (2) National associations: They are formed to support their national teams and to promote their home Badminton. They would probably not support a goodwill tour if it is not played at their own home grounds.
    (3) Sponsors: As long as they can get exposure, they would probably be willing to fund the tour.
    (4) Spectators: They would be looking forward to watch higher quality live matches.

So in my opinion, a Badminton goodwill tour would most likely be supported by players, sponsors and spectators, but not by national associations, unless the tour is played at their home grounds.

This is only from my own observations.

:):):)

2. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    I hope that we do not talk about OG rule here...as a matter of fact, CHN got the most benefits out of it as a OG host...as a host, CHN got so many exemptions to filed its players on some sports that they are not good at it...form running to boxing...even in tennis, CHN could field 4 men singles while others could have max of 3....I do not see CHN as a victim here due to OG rule....

Anyway, we are all badminton lovers...lets promote this sport and help BWF to make it as popular as Table Tennis....

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

We should support Badminton in general

Agree totally. We should support Badminton in general, not just supporting a player, a team or a nation that we love.

Sometimes, some of us are treating Badminton so much smaller than the player, the team or the nation that we support, that I wonder if we really love Badminton at all.

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..i believe out of those items, most of the issues have been addressed (2 out of 3).
    - Yes, it's essentially a paid vacation with exhibition matches (see below, i don't know if it doesn't get any more "FREE" than this).
    - Yes, it's a "Proper" competition (at least it's BWF sanctioned) with "big" (at least it's bigger than before) money prize (for the winners).
    - Unfortunately, there are no ranking points; thus making it more like an exhibition/invitational event.

Here are some references, unless otherwise amended:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61269&page=16 (post #272)
    http://internationalbadminton.org/Key.pdf
    http://www.internationalbadminton.org/Super Series Final/index.html
    http://www.internationalbadminton.o...r Series Finals - Overview - Information.doc
    http://www.internationalbadminton.o.../Super Series Finals - Over Information 2.doc

Invited Players

All invited players will get the following:

o airfare (economy class) provided
    o free hotel accommodation
    o transport to and from the airport and to the competition venue
    o a daily allowance
    o a chance to compete for a price pool of US$500,000
    ...that's quite possible. Heck, instead of every two yrs, let's assign this SS Grand Finale to a once every three yr event; it'll make it more prestigious while at the same time will give ample time for BWF to find sponsors and a place/host city.. ;):cool:

#104 ctjcad, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  5. badadum

badadum Regular Member

But in this instance, you can't even ask KG, LBJ or Kobe since the Natl.Association already put their foot down and said no.

And yes, there're lots of disgrace, finger pointing and whatever you want to call it when team USA "falls" from grace since some of the best NBA players choose to opt out from participating. Why else do you think the OG 08 squad is pretty much loaded with all the top-ranked stars... multi-millionaires who all "graciously" spent the summer months practicing for the event?

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer

IMHO, there should be no ranking points given at any event where most players cannot participate/qualify.

If the SSF were to give ranking points, then many players, who are unable to participate/qualify, would suffer dearly.

It's like 'The rich get richer and the poor get poorer'.

:):):)

#106 chris-ccc, Dec 15, 2008
  7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

We should support Badminton in general

Agree totally. We should support Badminton in general, not just supporting a player, a team or a nation.

Sometimes, some of us are treating Badminton smaller than the player, the team or the nation that we support.

And I wonder if we really love Badminton at all.

8. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    CHN and any nations has the right to or not to participate, it is a free world...knowing that LD and company are not in, if I am flying to KK to watch, I would not do it...if I happen to be in KK, I might simply for the love of the sport. LD and the bevy of female players ;) to me is the attraction of SSF, I would pay to watch LD, LCW and TH play. Sure baddy is bigger than CHN, baddy has endured and survived long before CHN rejoin BWF, but baddy is so much better of with CHN blessing us with ZJH, SJ, DJ, LD and their lady players...as for penalizing CHN restricting the # of players, BWF concludes dominance cannot grow the sport...like ping pong, same players restriction rules applies and the ping pong ball was increased in size after Liu Ko Liang won the last OG, to slow the game down so that other nations can compete against CHN...but guess what, CHN still prevails and clean OG, while the rest of the world has the same ancient player lineups like Samsonov, Kreanger, Timo and the same female players while CHN has a young Wang Hui, Ma Long and a whopper lists of fantastic female players....talking about 'respect' in your earlier posts, I think the world has so much respect and 'fear' for CHN that to able to compete against CHN need rules to hold her back a little...out it this way, CHN is simply too good...now, you can't blame a ticket paying fan wanting to see the best and the best now is LD.;)

9. Ajaib

Ajaib Regular Member

Berdagang
    INA and KOR just have 1 participant and you said that INA and KOR are victims?????? LOL LOL LOL....
    if INA and KOR have 7 good players and cannot qualified u also said that it's a victim???? what a comment from you sir:confused::confused::confused:
    CHN has 3 WS and 3 WD but how about CHN WS and WD no 4 are their skills not good enough to go to olympic???
    if tennis can allow 4 players to play in olympic??? than why badminton cannot??? sick of Chinese domination????? look at table tennis... they are dominating more than in badminton but the sport still can be pupular??? why badminton cannot??? it's a double standart .....

AFTER ALL... I"M SO HAPPY THAT CHINESE TEAM not coming to this Super series Grand Final....
    it's ENOUGH for Quota limitation rule in OLYMPICS AND WC.... not in Super series final.....

10. Ajaib

Ajaib Regular Member

Berdagang
    Lady,,, u should be happy here coz there will be no CHN match fixing again..

11. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    What are you talking about?? Look at the previous posts...they said that CHN is victim of this rule....
    In Tennis, only CHN can have 4 players, the rest can have 3...anyway..CHN has the most participants in badminton...

12. Ajaib

Ajaib Regular Member

Berdagang
    wow... look at the beijing official website:
    WS tennis
    Gold ELENA DEMENTIEVA
    silver Dinara safina
    Bronze Vera zvonareva...

plus Svetlana kuznetsova ( lost to LI NA in 2nd round)

is that just three????

only CHINA can have 4 players??? LOL:p:p

13. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

hmm, since this is a badminton forum, how would one know if ppl did not "blame mega stars from tennis or basketball "on the OG thingy ?? There's a thread on tennis in the chit chat section, that's abt it. Unless you actively follow the tennis/basketball forums too ;)
    Even I'm not a tennis/basketball fan, I've read were some critical articles to that effect.

In terms of China, as you know very well, it's the association that said no, not the individual players. The players could had wanted to come, that's the difference.
    AND the fact that press put it as slap to BWF's face or snubbing BWF, depending on which press one reads.

#113 eaglehelang, Dec 15, 2008
  14. Ajaib

Ajaib Regular Member

Berdagang

15. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

... due to the 2 player limit - only 2 players from each country if in top 16. Simon S was in top 16 but Indonesia had 3 MS in top 16, could only choose 2. Sony K & Taufik were chosen, so........ Simon have to wait for 2012.
    Msia also had same problem with 3 MD pairs in top 16, only 2 could go.
    They qualified, but quota limitation, i.e. other countries also effected by this rule. Please read thru the OG 2008 thread 1st

3 players quota only if they're ranked top 4 at the end of the OG qualifying period.

Btw, as for your reply in #112, Huang mentioned 4 men's singles max for CHina in post 102, not women's singles. Elena should be a lady right? hehe

#115 eaglehelang, Dec 15, 2008
  16. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

Tennis playing character is different with badminton playing.
    Almost all Single Tennis players can play as Double players. Williams sisters and Roger Federer failed in Single then they got gold medal in double.

If Badminton followed the Tennis to allow 4 Single players in nation, the number of players will be increase exception LD, CJ, LCW, TH also play in Double.

Every sport has different way
    Remember, XD held only in badminton

Table tennis didn't hold double in Beijing but added team's event. They ever held controversy rule too, in past OG they only limited 2 players in every nation and placed in same part of draw. Wth if the rule was happened in badminton.

17. Ajaib

Ajaib Regular Member

Berdagang
    wahhhh sorry sir but u don't understand what i meant...
    they are not qualified becoz they cannot reach the world top 4 rank,,, and he uses this as an example of victim???
    it's not same with China WS coz china has 4 ws in top 4 rank..
    why Simon and all INA players cannot reach top 4 position and go to olympic??? blame China ??? or said that we're same with china as a victim or said that SIMON is a victim too???? SIMON is not a victim coz he can go to olympic if He and the others countryman stand in top 4...
    meanwhile in WS Zhu Lin cannot go becoz the limitation rules. even she stay in top 4 rank,,,
    u see the different now???
    if they cannot go to olympic when they're in top4 is called VICTIM,, but
    if they cannot go to olympic coz they were out from top 4 rank is not VICTIM,, but lack of good result to stay in top rank...

18. Ajaib

Ajaib Regular Member

Berdagang
    hmmm
    sir,, You and Huangkwokhau should read carefully before spread Gossip here,,, in tennis
    http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/Schedule/TE.shtml
    look at that page and you will find that not only china can have 4 representatives..
    SPAIN:
    1. Rafael NADAL
    2. David FERRER
    3. Nicholas ALMAGRO
    4. Tommy ROBREDO
    also RUSSIA :
    1. Dimitry TURSUNOV
    2. Nicolay DAVIDENKO
    3. Mikhail YOUZHNY
    4. Igor ANDREEV

what u wanna say now???? just China can have 3 players ??
    LOL:p:p:p

19. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

This is getting a little off topic.

Of course the Olympic host has the privilege to have free passes to OG in many sports. This has nothing to do with China and even less to do with badminton.

The extra spots for China in OG badminton were hard earned. The same opportunity was there for all nations.

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-Re mini discussion between LazyBuddy and Hau-ge and...Ajaib..

..sorry, i don't mean to get tangled up here but i'm a bit confused with the last few off-topic posts. I may be wrong, but from what i can digest from LazyBuddy's and Hau-ge's bantering (which both had brought up before), they are discussing about the "fair treatment" of CHN's team:

LazyBuddy's point of contention :
    - Feels CHN is being short-changed in the recent Olympics Games (2004 & 2008) pointing to some of their players not being included in the Olympics squad.
    - Wants more representation, esp. in badminton. Why put a limit?
    - Argues & contends the Olympics rulings are the main reason.

Hau-ge's point of contention :
    - Feels CHN, esp. in this yr's Olympics, has gotten more than what it deserved even more than any other countries.
    - He is basing CHN's **overall** Olympics representation this yr, which is more than any other country, as a sign that they've been treated "fairly"; he brought up tennis & other sports as examples (he might not know the exact details, but i believe he's referring to them **in general**). Their overall Gold medal tally reflects it all (which also can be argued that they did deserve them not because of how many athletes they had but how well they performed).
    - Defends the Olympics qualifying rulings.

and

Ajaib's point of contention : ??? :confused:

Btw, regarding the BWF/IBF's qualification ruling for this yr's Olympics, it had been set in stone since 2005. Every country knew it but yes, CHN deserved it as they were able to secure 3 MS in the top 4. News below:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24375 ;)

#120 ctjcad, Dec 15, 2008