China team withdrew from SS Final

Discussion in 'Super Series Master Finals 2008' started by huangkwokhau, Dec 11, 2008.

1. yourbestfriend

yourbestfriend Regular Member

doesn't the china badminton team hold a pretty intensive 1-2 month winter training every year? i think it was in zuhai(correct me if i'm wrong) last year.
    i'm also pretty sure that the team announced a few months ago that they were going to do this again for this year, at which time we didn't even know if the super series final was a go or not.
    so why is everybody complaining that the team withdrew? if this Super Series final is so prestigious and important, the world badminton federation would have started to promote it at the beginning of the year, not one month before the actual event.
    if they knew that the SS finals were going to be a disaster, the BWF would have been better off using that $500000USD to try and promote the game, not organize a tourney that none of the worlds top players go to.

i highly doubt that team china has a "grudge" against the BWF and therefore withdrew from 3 superseries tourneys. I think that poor organizing by the world federation and the fact that the chinese team is pretty much battered up/not in top form are the main reasons why this is happening.

#141 yourbestfriend, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  2. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    doesn't the china badminton team hold a pretty intensive 1-2 month winter training every year? i think it was in zuhai(correct me if i'm wrong) last year.
    i'm also pretty sure that the team announced a few months ago that they were going to do this again for this year, at which time we didn't even know if the super series final was a go or not.
    so why is everybody complaining that the team withdrew? if this Super Series final is so prestigious and important, the world badminton federation would have started to promote it at the beginning of the year, not one month before the actual event.
    if they knew that the SS finals were going to be a disaster, the BWF would have been better off using that $500000USD to try and promote the game, not organize a tourney that none of the worlds top players go to.

i highly doubt that team china has a "grudge" against the BWF and therefore withdrew from 3 superseries tourneys. I think that poor organizing by the world federation and the fact that the chinese team is pretty much battered up/not in top form are the main reasons why this is happening.

I wouldn't give BWF so much credit BWF is so smart that BWF can really plan a disaster to occur :D:p BWF plan for success but turn into a disaster instead:p:D Now seriously, BWF did not envision CHN, INA (Maria) and KOR not showing up and as for promoting it earlier, BWF might have not found venue to host or sponsor for SSF, just my guess. Do you think BWF envision the top 8 comprises of names like Chan Yan Kit, Andrew and at one time Ng Wei, that is a nightmare:eek: Looking at the singles draw, the only MS and WS OG08 medalist attending SSF is LCW...with SSF held in baddy country MAS, maybe can get decent crowd and a get together for bcers there but with the high admission charge, I would be curious to find out attendance figure. More like a quickie easy $$$ distribution to players, may not be a bad thing.:D

3. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    I still don't get how people can call this event a "promotional" event... when it is being in the usual few "badminton" countries, attracting the exact same crowds, being broadcast by the same few countries... It is not really promoting the sport but simply maintaining the same crowd so they don't lose interest.:rolleyes:

The definition of the word "Insanity" ---> Doing the exact same thing over and over again, and expect different results.:rolleyes:

When will the BWF realize that in order to promote the sport, you don't just host more tournament in the same continent... what you need to do is to change the image of the sport from being recognized as a "SISSY" sport by most of the countries outside of Asia.

4. yourbestfriend

yourbestfriend Regular Member

i totally agree with bananakid.
    i mean, the 2007 world champs and now the SSF and the majority of the big tourneys are all held in asian countries. this is a ridiculously bad marketing plan. if you keep marketing to the same group of people, you will only go so far. the BWF needs to broaden their horizens.
    IMHO, the 2005 world champs were a big sucess and one of the smartest moves made by the BWF. When compared to Madrid and Kual Lumpar, Anaheim attracted more people and caused more hype. In both of the later tourneys the stadiums were pretty bare, even during the MS final. If the BWF were smart they would go back to Anaheim (or at least a big US city) sometime soon. LD is more famous than ever now, the new and up and coming chinese girls are pretty cute haha and women seem to like lee yong dae. BWF should totally use this, especially in the US, where people would pay good money ($100USD+ for tickets) to watch top players compete.

5. laonong

laonong Regular Member

I'll pay 100 to watch LD play against LCW, TH, PG, CJ, BCL

if it holds near where i live.

6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

If they ever brought an event of this magnitude to Vancouver, I can almost guarantee it'd be well received.

7. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

With proper promotion, not BWF style last minute thingy, the same could be true for many cities in North America with sizable Asian populations. Badminton Clubs are often among the largest clubs on college campus.

BWF, take note:crying:

8. Woody

Woody Regular Member

The below is from the BWF web site

The Super Series is a singles and doubles competition open to all badminton players from Member Associations affiliated to the BWF.

The Super Series is a 12 tournaments series designed to attract the top 32 players from around the world with a minimum of USD $ 200,000 prize money for each tournament. Hosted from January through to December each year the events are usually hosted in pairs in a similar region of the world – in mid January, the Malaysian Super Series kicks off the year followed by the Korea Super Series
    [​IMG]

The BWF introduced the Super Series format to showcase badminton at a higher level of competitiveness, to increase television coverage for the sport and to increase the star quality and popularity of the top players in the world through a wider television audience.

Players earn World Ranking Points towards their World Ranking according to the special classification of those tournaments which have been nominated by the BWF.

Series Final

The BWF Super Series Masters Finals ends the series for the year and the best eight men’s and women’s singles and doubles players, as well as mixed doubles players are invited to battle it out for top prize money.

This gives the reasons for the SS and is self explanatory.

No Country can have the excuse they didn't know that the event was to be held. The reasons why the 2007 Finals were not held are explained in my previous thread on this subject.

#148 Woody, Dec 17, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  9. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

This PR thing does not help or fool anyone who is somewhat familiar with the situation.

Even BWF did not know whether, when or where the Series Final will be held, let alone the national associations. Let's put 2007 and 2008 under "growing pain" and move on.

A few things that can make the schedule better.

- A clear concept of competitive season, with a meaningful period for recuperation. A two-week break between season finale and the first SS does not make sense.

- Clearly defined SS/World/Continental period and club/national period to reduce conflicts and generate local interests through lower level competitions.

- Mandatory specific commitments from top players. For example, top athletes are put into a number of specific event, say 6. Plus 3 more optional events at their own choice. Failing to meet the full commitment will disqualify a player from sharing a bonus pool. Obviously, injury problems should be accommodated.

- Okay, the series finale. I think most people do not see how it promotes badminton in its current form. I prefer a promotional tour for which parcipants are richly compensated for their performance/participation in the past year and their participation in the tour. There may be one ore more tours with a proper mix of different players to spread the game around.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Why anybody needs to provide any "excuses" to begin with? Overall, the SS and SSF are open to any participants, under their OWN willingness. If someone or some team decide to skip an event, it's their own decision. There's no contracts being signed what so ever, saying how many and when someone or teams need to show up, or not.

I am sure even 3 years old kids know when OG is, and let me ask you do you have to collect all the "excuses" from the mega stars from tennis or basketball, for "not participating"? :rolleyes:

#150 LazyBuddy, Dec 17, 2008
  11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. How you know that CHN did not try to propose any possible changes or try to work out a deal in the earlier days? :confused:

2. Even CHN did not go all out to work out a deal, why should they do that to begin with? BWF if paid to organize the event, but not CHN team. Even if they do, did BWF (or OG committee) ever listen and agree on changes?

Just put in a very simple example. Say your boss told you 3 years ahead that you may need to attend a meeting. 1 week ago, you finally received confirmation of the meeting agenda, schedule and location. However, you planned your vacation long long time ago. Now, you voiced your concern as there's no early enough notification, then your boss :mad::mad::mad: and made you feel like :crying::crying::crying:. Sure, as a boss, s/he can use (or abuse) the power to blame you, but as an individual, you have the rights to feel :cool:, right? :rolleyes:

12. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Say your boss told you 3 years ahead that you may need to attend a meeting. 1 week ago, you finally received confirmation of the meeting agenda, schedule and location. However, you planned your vacation long long time ago. Now, you voiced your concern as there's no early enough notification, then your boss :mad::mad::mad: and made you feel like :crying::crying::crying:. Sure, as a boss, s/he can use (or abuse) the power to blame you, but as an individual, you have the rights to feel :cool:, right? :rolleyes:

Your analogy above makes me think about my part-time job as a contractual engineer for hire..very interestingly:p... If my boss give me 3 years timeline to attend a meeting, he better pay me good, and I mean real goodie as I only pick up to 6 projects a year to do that are $$$ worthwhile doing and not doing for the fun of it:D And if I someone offers me a better pay contract in between, he can take a hike and find someone else to attend such meeting :pAs if my boss abusing me, well my boss better be a 'she', young and pretty looking, then pleeeezz I am all for it:p:D

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I think BWF is not interested for the CHN No.1 player to battle against the CHN no.2

LazyBuddy ... I don't think that the SSF was intended for the best of the best players.

I think the SSF was intended for the best of each nation to do battle against the best from other nations.

I think BWF is not interested in the CHN No.1 player doing battle against the CHN no.2, but for CHN No.1 to do battle against the No.1 from other nations.

CHN should perform well if they wish to participate in the SSF, since CHN is the strongest nation in Badminton.

#153 chris-ccc, Dec 17, 2008
  14. lin_xingfang

lin_xingfang Regular Member

College Student
    yeah...too sad can't watch the entire CHN team until the next 2 SS tourney..

well..i dont have anyone to cheer up in SSF now,so whoever wins.. i will just relax and enjoy the show until December 25th when ESPN will broadcast Boston vs L.A. in the NBA Final rematch at Christmas Eve :D Beat L.A , Beat L.A!!!

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I'm very late into this thread. I don't know what's all the fuss. Not not ago, BC members were so concerned about china domination, how it would suppress the sport because it doesn't allow other badminton budding countries to grow and gain experience from playing with the powerhouses. Here is just one thread i have found.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46621&highlight=domination

Now, china skips a major tournament and we see all the crying about china is not helping to promote badminton and it's bad for badminton. What give?? Shame on Badzine editorial for only presenting just one side of the story. Some say china (LYB) should negotiate with BWF to come up with a workable term and schedule. HOWEVER, if china do that, people would scream bloody hell inequality for BWF is benting over to make sweet deal with china. What give??

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i got a bad wrap for starting this trend:D

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

HMMM, i thot his excuse for not coming to the toronto exhibition is that he is focusing on the master SS and MO but now he is not playing???Why don't he come to toronto, it's not too late. Injury? He could finish off any of our local canadian MS boys with just 1st gear, maybe 2nd gear max. Perfect exercise to circulate blood to his injured muscle.

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

no candu.
    Only happen if canada's charmaine reid withdraw but she is a female:p

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

LYB can fix anything. He is fixing BWF right now:p

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i would be very surprised if BWF doesn't have a feel of what's coming. If most the all names are not coming, BWF is wasting MONEY to host this event where they could be better use somewhere else. BWF should be partly blame for this for not doing any home work to see if this event deserve the big promotion and funding.