BWF to probe scuffles at South Korean Open

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by block306, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i doubt if this will be feasible, it's a player's right to withdraw from a tournament before the match is due to be played, whether it's against a fellow countryman or his arch-rival.

2. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Not realistic, then the China Open, Korea Open will be the Super Series with 2 star players.

3. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Korea Open offers the biggest purse money among the Super Series consistently so is China Open. Basically you don't want to kill the goose that lays egg else badminton will be even harder to survive.
    Is not a healthy way to continue but I can see the dilemma BWF is facing .

4. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    How do you prove bias? The person on the street can shout bias all he wants. But the guy in the BWF cannot simply do so just because everyone (including the perpetrators) thinks so.

The only solution is to incorporate technology. Machines are neutral. Maybe the Aibo creators can come up with some linejudging dogs. That'll be fun.

5. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    1) Agreed, but the ASAP could take some time
    2) They don't.
    3) Difficult to implement. And even if you force the match to be played, it could be farce (one player hitting all his shots out for example) which makes it even worse.
    4) Hard to prove bias.
    5) Shouts could be directed at own player but indirectly towards opponent.
    6) Debatable. Some misconducts are more severe than others. Don't lump them together and give a blanket punishment.

6. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    confucius would understand and then he will share some wisdom. :)

yeah. why not :D

seems reasonable. :) though i suspect very hard to implement. i think 2, 5 and 6 are the easiest to implement right now.

yes, but they are also depending on these players to come and make it a grand event. so if star players starts to boycott them, surely they will have to do something too. both are on the losing end if this continues.

cool. aibo dogs rocks. they will use their laser eyes to determined to the milimeters or even micrometers whether the shuttle clipped the lines. one bark for in and two barks for out. awesome.

1. yeah ASAP in BWF means as soon as probably not now but soonish....
    2. they dont enter the court per se but maybe they should not even be near the court at all unless it is a break.
    3. agree, hard to prove.
    4. agree with you here too. maybe just replace the ones who are making more than two obvious mistakes immediately. dont let them continue in that match.
    5. i guess so. there are many ways to intimidate players and many ways to break the rules. hehehehe
    6. i agree, the punishment should depend on the misconduct and the severity.

7. markham player

markham player Regular Member

medical
    It is about time BWF is serious about introducing the hawk eyes system to settle arguments on suspicious line calls. If you ask LinDan, LiMao, TH, LCW & the rest of us, I think 99.9% would say "yes" to the system. Therefore, it is unnecessary for Kun to do a survey here. Haha!

8. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D POST of THE MONTH !!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

9. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I knew it was bad there, but i didnt know it was that serious. %$#%@^$^!$&$@!%@&:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: You can park an elephant between the base line and where the ball had landed.

10. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    It's ex-"VERY PATRIOTIC" professional badminton player, they missed out the bold part.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

11. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

I noticed it was the same backline (away from camera) that had many of these overruled bad calls (MSF and XDF). Can anyone see if it were the same line judge? Or they have substituted between games?

12. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

it's very systematic though. i've been watching some of the games where no korean players were involved, and the line judging was very normal. yeah, there were a few close calls, but nothing blatant and at no time did any of the players make much of a fuss.

it would alse be interesting to see whether these line judges (the ones in games without korean players) were used in matches with korean players, and whether their judging was consistent.

13. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    So,is the BWF going to take actions against the korean open comitee?That was sick..n whether they realize about it or not,but spectators n fans all over the world r able to find out the truth,through these youtube videos.They should be smart enough to confess their dirty play..

14. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Yes .... let's keep a database of the Korean linejudges ... we will track their every judgement ... we will video every line call they make, and for calls that were obviously wrong/bias, we will expose their shame on the Internet ... maybe even pry into their personal lives a little bit ... let's see if they will do it again ... volunteers, anyone? ... not me, do I look like a nutcase ...

15. Turbo

Turbo Regular Member

by the way, do you guys think its out or in?

fro me looks out even with the cameras distance

16. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    I'm pretty sure the hawkeye technology could be modified to track a shuttle and how hard would it be to have instant replay? The all England broadcasts are escpecially fast at slow motion replays around line calls.

The other thing that can be done is having line judges from third party countries so there is less chance of home court bias.

17. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    i hear nothing so far of the result of the investigation. what is it that BWF is doing? nothing. no news of a better system for linejudging. no news on the linejudges. no news on the actual scuffles. maybe they are just waiting for this to die on it's own. and that way they don't have to do anything or penalize anyone.

18. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    It takes time to ge alll reports....as I have mentioned, the earlier will be in april or May....
    For Hawkeye, it will be discussed among BWF members in All England....more likely hawkeye will be used on all SS series and big event like Olympic, WC...

19. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    cool. i hope either the hawkeye or the multi camera for replays will be adopted. will make the matches more fair and level for all players. :)

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The intensity, concentration, and extreme competitive nature of the NSS where there is no second chance or where a lapse of losing just one serve means life or death, now demands that line calls or calls for faulty serves be absolutely faultless. One part of the game is not catching up with another part of the game which has now been changed to a remarkable level of extreme competitive sport.