BWF to probe scuffles at South Korean Open

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by block306, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Thanks for pointing out again. I am not saying it's true or false. Let the investigation draw its conclusion. and we'll see what they have to say :cool:

Just like to have some kind closure to this incident as quick as possible so everyone can move on :rolleyes:

2. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    The most likely scenario comes out of this investigation is Lin Dan, Li Mao and Korean organizers all get fine, I think Zhong Bo should be fine too for continue to make up story to cover Lin Dan.
    The fine in monetary should go to ???

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Hawk-eye or Cameras?

4. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Certainly the bad linecalls were made blatantly.....even in the match between Flandy/Vita and Lee/Lee :cool: No one is denying that.

5. rwijaja

rwijaja Regular Member

yeah... I saw that line call. the Korean shot was like 10cm out and the linesman called it in.

But Flandy is one cool cucumber man.... No racket throwing definitely no
    emotions was flared.

He was accepting the linesman call already and was about to give the
    shuttle to the Korean. And when the umpire corrected the call, could not believe his luck.

FlaVi did not win, close match, but definitely he has definitely won my respect. unlike some other player.... 'you know who'

6. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Ever since BWF made the statement yesterday, other official having their say or rather reporters bug them on it. hmm, diplomatic answer, official trying not make anybody angry.

from NST
    4 Feb 2008

Some line judges jumped the gun, says official
    04 February, 2008

SOME line judges were guilty of making calls before the shuttlecock hit the floor at the recent Korean Open, Badminton World Federation (BWF) events manager M. Venugopal said in Kuala Lumpur yesterday. However, the world governing body said it still had faith in the standard of Korean line judges and would continue to stage big tournaments in the country.

Last month's Korean Open was marred by a series of controversial line calls with South Korea's Lee Hyun-il defeating China's World No 1 Lin Dan in the men's singles final.

Lin Dan was furious at one particular decision, at 20-20 in the final game, when Hyun-Il's cross-court smash was called in.

"The problem is that some of the line judges at the Korean Open were ex-players, and they are sometimes over confident when it comes to making calls," Mahalingam said yesterday.

"Having been players, they think they know where the shuttle is going to land and often they raise their hand before it has even reached the floor."

Mahalingam, however, defended the line judge and the referee involved in the contentious call that angered Lin Dan so much he tried to shove Hyun-Il's coach Li Mao.

Lin Dan received a yellow card for his actions.

"That call, from where I was sitting, was close," said Mahalingam.

"The line judge confirmed to the umpire that it was in and the umpire accepted it. There was nothing more he could do.

"Overall, we are happy with the standard of line calling in Korea. They do a very good job." -- Reuters

7. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    Right.... they are happy with the linecalling standards in Korea:mad::mad::mad:

8. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    He would be honest and signal "unsighted".

9. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    Particuarly I think it is bad for the sport. LA outburst and scuffle with coaches and racket throw depicts a poor image for the younger players world wide.

I do however question the umpire and lines people. You will always get bad line calls and perhaps bad umpiring. I think that the KO will show that bad decisions are made by officials, however once the linesperson/umpire has made a ruling I dont beleive that any player can argue with the officials or show that much disrespect.

I dont like bad calls or umpiring, but I do show respect towards the officials.

Because of his actions LD may face a penalty from the BWF. Although thats highly doubtful he would receive a harsh penalty.

10. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

What kind of ex-player is this? Professional badminton player in Almost-blind-land? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCdUgLuRTF8

11. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Indeed...nothing can warrant a display of aggression from the player.

12. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    is this what a mojority of BWF officials think? that the korean linespersons are not blatantly biased? what about the incident where the linesperson clapped her hands when korean player got a point? and yeah, all the ridicolous obvious bad calls that can't even be masked as too close to call. if BWF keeps turning a blind eye to these biased officiating, we will never see the end of it. oh, by the way, flandy was very cool headed with that bloody bad call. he gained my respect with that one. :)

13. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

From the above article, it seems BWF still has satisfaction about KOR line judges despite so many bad line calls happened at there. It's okay KOR as host but they should using new tech in future times to prevent high intensity of human error/subjective judgement.

14. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think the BWF officials personally think/know/feel there is bias, but they cannot officially say so, because the bias cannot be proven. You can prove that the judgement was wrong, but how can you prove that the judgement was intentionally wrong?

15. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    yeah, i guess so. so in the end, only an advanced use of technology can prevent this from happening again. i hope they get their *** off their comfy chairs and get it done before the Olympics. oh, my, i have resorted to harsh words. but they sure deserve it.

16. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

If, this kind of wrong doing keeps coming........no players willing to play in KO in years to come........sad to the sport.....and to Korean badminton.......shame:eek:

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..personally, and as discussed before, I don't think the Umpire/umpiring in the MSF was "bad". At least, with the resources and technology the umpire had, the match itself couldn't have been called any better; perhaps the last part of the 3rd set could've been done/called "better". Consider also, prior to the last call, he had overturned 3 "bad" line-calls and all of them were correctly over-ruled..If anything, i'd say it's the line-judges/lines-calling that was suspect/in question, esp. when the KOR players were involved in the Finals..:p
    *Rest of your comments, i would concur:cool:
    ..i hope Confucius didn't read that...;)

#37 ctjcad, Feb 4, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  18. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i think it'd be interesting if all the top players boycotted tournaments where the line judging is blatantly biased. that should encourage these countries to 'clean up' their act.

19. tohcsh

tohcsh New Member

Dog Training Consultant
    Hope BWF will do the following:-

1) Incorporate new technology ASAP
    2) Forbid Coach from entering into the court during game
    3) When 2 players for the same country compete with each other and should one player give a walk over (unless check by BWF official doctor) , the other player of the same country from the same match will not be allowed to move up to next game.
    4) Umpire have to be suspended if they are found to be bias!
    5) Coach that shouts at the opponent player will be suspended.
    6) Players that walk out of matches , rude, show aggression will be move down (1 rank) in rank from their world ranking and suspended for 2 tournaments.

20. coolhandluke

coolhandluke Regular Member

This is yet another case of making the right observation (shown in green) and coming to a wrong conclusion (shown in red). It doesn't even make sense how the line judging was so below standard and still BWF continues to pat the offending organizations on the back.

Does anyone want a repeat of China Open 2007 and Korea Open 2008? The time is now for BWF to act and put an end to this nonsense. Anytime you condone / encourage crap, you will get more crap -- be it bad line judging or sportsmanship.

I feel dirty watching these atrocities happening to my beloved sport. I'll be disappointed if BWF does not take stern action against the offending parties. Does the BWF even realize that they are letting people soil the reputation of badminton forever? At this rate, it would not surprise me if IOC removes badminton from Olympics.