Boonsak's Ascendancy

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2007 / Indonesia Open 2007' started by X Ball, May 6, 2007.

1. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

i agree.. in BJSS, studies is no.2. furthermore, their studies will drop.. more emphasis in in sports.. therefore, think properly before going to BJSS..

2. $100 Dreams

$100 Dreams Regular Member

yes, education is definitely important! you can observe that when they interview the players... see how they project themselves..

And its great Boonsak is putting effort into his studies. i can say that many of us support Boonsak not only but his skills in badm but the personality he projects and the fact that he is studying.. everyone just goes WOW! haha... my dad and ppl of his generation have changed perception of him when they find out his a law student.. seriously, it makes such a difference.

3. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

boonsak is actually a role model for badminton players who are in BJSS. if boonsak can study up to tertiary level, why not our BJSS students?? it depends on individuals. i'm glad boonsak planned well for his future.

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    :cool:
    While it is always a difficult question for parents and the child to decide on which to choose, studies or sports, do remember that a sports-talented child has only a limited period to train and excel, relative to his lifetime, before he becomes too 'old'. In badminton, when a player is above 30, chances are he is on the decline, with rare exceptions like Peter Gade.

Also rare are talented players who could combine sports and studies and excel in both. Boonsak Ponsana and many of his teammates belong to this category and this is quite surprising. It may be the tradition and background in Thailand the schools, universities and the players' families that engender and make allowances for such a conducive environment. :)

So if one does not take advantage of youth to excel in sports and give in to studies instead, then we will not have sports people setting very high standards and breaking world records.

Studies can come later, if one still has the interest. Maintain a good body through sports, the brain will still be there waiting for us to stimulate it. After 30, one can still study if one is as motivated as he was in sports.

I just saw over TV last night about a grandmother above the age of 90 who received her bachelors degree from a US University. Her granddaughter was among the new graduads.

5. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i think if you can study and play sports at the same time, it is good. but if you are not gifted in studying maybe concentrating on what you do best, in this case sports, are not so bad. the difference would be how you plan for your future AFTER your competative era is over. for those with high education to depend on, a life of professional jobs awaits them. and being a well known sportsperson will help them land a job they want. for those with no education to depend on, they should be more careful of their earnings and plan from early on what they intend to do. go into coaching or open up their own business. most probably something related to their beloved sports. for example setting a shop selling equipment, etc.... i just think that not all of us are inclined to be well educated, not saying education are not necessary. just saying that, we all have our place. not everybody can be doctors and lawyers, and pilots,etc.... some have to be businessmen or businesswomen. some have to be teachers and coaches. some have to be politicians (uggghhh...personallly i would not voluntarily choose this one :D) and others play a different role. be the best you can be in whatever it is you are good at. that's MY opinion. :)

6. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Totally agree. Go first for what you are gifted in, esp.when few others are in that field. Sports is one area where you have to be gifted in to make it to the top and there is a short expiry date. Studies can wait because there are many options now,as long as you continue to use your mind well.

7. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    maybe

I guess this statement is OK with all BC forumer because we are all sport fans but it wont be ok for most non sport parents.

To be the top this days you need to be giving 100%, boonsak is a hard act to follow... i think maybe one in a million

8. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Absolutely agree that education is important and it's one of the most crucial factors to get out of poverty. Boonsak indeed is a role model for many sportsmen/women, and I salute his hardwork both on and off court.

Having said that, it's not easy for a sportman to excel in the modern sports, let alone to excel in studies at the same time. I was a trainer during my youth, and I'd seen many of my peers werent interested nor passionate about their studies. It's true that many of the BJSS's students are talented sportsmen and study is not the top priority.

Well, there are many roads lead to Rome. Education is one of them, but not the only one. Anyway, can anyone have the latest progress for our ex-Nationals such as Foo Kok Keong and Soo Beng Kiang (That's my generation :D ) Both were great players who played with their hearts out for the Thomas Cup. I hope they do well with their post-badminton career.

Finally, hopefully we will see more of Boonsak in the coming SS and Olympics... go boonsak go go go
    Msia boleh...!!!