Badminton Specific Exercises and Workouts

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by speCulatius, Apr 12, 2019.

1. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Hi there,
    when searching for some exercises on YouTube, that would have been usefull when replying to some threads, I often was disappointed, that I didn't find what I was looking for or that I only found something not badminton specific at best, that could have been adopted for badminton. So when talking to @s_mair, trying to explain an exercise, I decided to make a video of it and that's how the idea grew to just record more videos (when there's the need), and to make it public. so due to popular demand (well, one person, two if I'm being extra generous), here is my YouTube channel! I really hope it can help some people who are enthusiastic, but cannot get (enough) coaching.
    I'll focus on off-court exercises or workouts and while there is a ton of content, I think it might be good to have some badminton specific adjustments made. That might be the exact position of the body or the duration or whatever....
    Please let me know what you think about it, may it be here, or via message! If there's more popular demand for specific things, let me know that, too.... So far, one person was enough to make me do it, so I do have some more footage, and some more plans myself, but I'm open for any suggestions.

So far, my content is very limited, and before it gets more, I'm hoping to get some feedback first. Theres only two videos so far....

... one is to get a more stable lunge while also working on the mobility, it's the second version of he video I made due to popular demand

... and the other one is a footwork interval workout that can be done pretty much anywhere. I was thinking about @Mason when making the video, but I think many people would benefit from doing these exercises regularly. I know I was looking for something like this before when writing a reply to some training thread.

I know the videos are not perfect, I'm neither the best coach, nor the best athlete, so I have to compromise, still, I think it's better than nothing, but keep in mind: Do as I say and not as I do. ;) I hope this thread can help me to make valuable videos and thus can help others who benefit from those videos. I appreciate your opinion!

Thanks to @s_mair for giving the idea and some files that I could recycle and @Mr Arc2 for encouraging me. Thanks to @DarkHiatus for some valuable feedback in advance!

Now, tell me what you think.....

#1 speCulatius, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  2. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

That's great! My season is about to be finished and I will focus on off-court training soon. I will definitely use some of these exercises!

Cheung and speCulatius like this.
  3. magnusce

magnusce Regular Member

@speCulatius

this is very good thank you for making these videos! i hope you will be making more! :D

my request/suggestion is maybe a video with different streches to do and include the best streches for badminton purposes?

thanks for the videos tho :)

speCulatius likes this.
  4. speCulatius

Hmm.... not sure where you want me to go with this. Stretching your entire body certainly helps. Always. That's not specific to badminton, really. If done after the exercise.
    The Lunge video can be seen as a badminton specific dynamic stretching that can (should) be done as part of a warm up routine. Do you want more like this or are you referring to a collection of static stretching exercises for the entire body?
    One idea is to make videos for a warm up routine including some more things like the lunges. If that's what you want, I'll get to it. If your talking about more static things, I'm not sure yet, but if there is some demand, I could do the same for a cool down phase after training, I guess.

Anyway, thanks for the input, I just want to understand you correctly. :)

5. magnusce

magnusce Regular Member

hmm i think its dangerous for the hamstring/thighs to do a deep lunge if not fully warmed up? pls correct me if im wrong.

what i mean tho was that, after i have done badminton drills and workout, i don't really know which streches to do, so i just do a bunch of random ones and i often feel sore the day after in the muscles and i recover slowly, i dont know if there is other threads or videos for that. i havent looked that much into it, it was just a suggestion :)

speCulatius likes this.
  6. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Badminton-specific foam rolling cooldown routines? Yes, please! :D

speCulatius likes this.
  7. Mason

Mason Regular Member

This is the best recovery article that I have ever read.
    https://drjohnrusin.com/performance-recovery-system/
    The creator of the content is a performance strength coach as well as a physical therapist. I’ve peronally implemented the recover after my weight training and it’s amazing

8. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

LIKE!

"It's easier when you're drunk" :D

Video suggestion - do the exercise drunk please. For science. :D:p

speCulatius likes this.
  9. speCulatius

What I'm thinking about is exercises that could make up a warm up routine that can easily take an hour. Then everybody can see what works for them as preparation. As part of that, deep lunges are not a problem at all, just before or as an early part of activation.

While stretching and other routines can help, have a look at your nutrition. Do you eat enough (healthy) food during the day and after training? Do you drink enough? Just doing stretches is not enough for recovery.

I will keep that in mind. Overall, some cool down seems to be wanted. Thanks for letting me know.

Thanks for sharing. I didn't get to read all of it yet (the introduction already feels like 2000 words), but it seems to be of great value. Thanks.

There's thousands of videos of drunk people doing something way more complex, no need for me to do it. :D

The point that cool down routines are wanted is taken!

I do have some more questions, because there's some points I thought would come up as feedback
    • What do you think about the style of the videos?
    • What do you think about the length? I think more than 5 minutes is to long and most people won't memorize all the exercises at once anyway...
    • Would you prefer to have some spoken comments? I thought this would be asked for, to be honest.

10. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

Thanks for the videos they are simple yet useful. I would love to see some stretching routines.
    To answer your three questions :
    - the style is good to me, simple but complete
    - length must not be too long indeed (most badminton videos talking about technique are not too long)
    - I would rather have only written comments so I can watch easily at work hehe (and while listening to music)

Thanks again I look forward to do all those.

DarkHiatus and speCulatius like this.
  11. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Good start. I like the videos and especially the intro. What would I like?

- Warmup routine (10 minutes)
    - Playing in with shuttlecock (10 minutes)
    - Cooldown routine (10 minutes)

12. speCulatius

Somehow, I managed to miss this message, sorry and thanks for the input. I didn't think about on court warm up so far.
    Warm up routines are planned as kind of a way that everybody can pick what works best for them, I didn't make an actual plan, but I do have some rough ideas and I'll make a plan rather soon.
    For cool down, I'll first focus on foam rolling, I think. Do you expect something specific?
    Actually, I wanted to be a cool down leg rolling video to be next, and I do have some footage, but I'm not happy with it for several reasons. The details need a lot more attention concerning camera angle, explanations, .... than the other videos.
    A few days ago, I uploaded a video on footwork for the four outer corners. I made it before starting the channel after being asked for it, but I don't want to focus on these things, because there's enough good videos out there.
    Another request I got was some plyometrics, so I did a first try on a basic plyometrics workout and more is planned.... just maybe not on sand. Here it is:

edit:
    For all those who like the intro, I made a trailer for the channel... ;)

#12 speCulatius, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    SimonCarter and s_mair like this.
  13. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Awesome! Glad there is another badminton YouTuber! The badminton YouTube world is too small, and there is for sure a place for badminton specific exercises so it's great that you started it.

One of my upcoming videos is about exercising for badminton (but not showing examples, more about talking about how I should/want to exercise) so I'll mention your channel and try to get you more views! I don't have a ton of subscribers myself, but I think we need to promote other YouTubers to get our channels to grow more. Keep it up, and looking forward to your next videos.

speCulatius likes this.
  14. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

Thanks for all the effort
    Love the format!
    I'lI do all those jumps in my short jogging this evening.

speCulatius likes this.
  15. speCulatius

That's awesome! I really appreciate all your effort to make badminton more popular. I'm just a guy who enjoys what he's doing... hoping it might help people. I realized that some exercises/routines that are very common around here, are not well known everywhere. I also benefit from having had Chinese, Vietnamese and high level German coaches in the past and being in touch with all kind of people (physios, sports physicians, ...), so I'm going to share some of their and my knowledge.

I'm trying to keep it short and simple... that's exactly the problem I have with the foam rolling and stretching videos. Drop me a PM if you have ideas. :D

16. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I do use your videos hehe and I actually have a question regarding the 4 corners video, you propose 6 options including two at the front forehand corner. I do the second option but... for the front backhand corner. Is it wrong? I'm right handed and when playing a stroke at the front backhand corner I push with my left foot to propulse myself at the front, somehow like what you propose as a second option at the front forehand corner.

Here is a video of a rally at 1:56 showing just that (I'm playing with the grey short) 2 times for a defence and again just before I do a cross net you can see how I do my footwork at the front backhand corner and unlike you, I propulse myself using my left foot and here even doing a sort of jump. Is it a wrong footwork pattern? Thank you :)

17. speCulatius

I would never say footwork pattern are wrong as long as you get the, you can only discuss wether something is more efficient. I don't like the second pattern, because it involves two rotations of your body. When you have practiced it a few times, it can help you after doing the split step in the wrong direction (wrong anticipation, deception, ...)
    Honestly, I do see what I suggest for that corner. not very stable, the first push is not very strong, but I don't see what you described. Am I missing something?
    The jump you do as a split step? I would get rid of it, because it takes time, takes you away from the ground, but you need the floor to get speed, so I suggest too work on just lowering your stance as a split step.
    Also, you need to work on your lunge and the stability. Your balance should stay in the middle without your upper body going further to the front. It might be related to the inefficient split step that, though, so start with that, but try to keep tension in your torso to stop it from swinging forward.

It's late, so maybe I'm missing something, but overall, I think you are doing what I propose in the video. With a more efficient start and more stability, you'll gain a lot of speed. Don't underestimate the stability aspect!

18. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Thanks a lot! I guess I was envisioning doing something wrong I'm not sure... But you see what I mean on the jumping one and I do it rather often so I need to work on that front forehand corner anyway and will try to replicate what you proposed in your video.

I'm trying hard not to bend my upper body further front at the net but I often arrive too late to the shuttle I guess. After the cross net shot I do in the rally mentioned in my first post I don't reposition myself fast enough and kinda watch the shuttle to see if it passes across the net or not, then my opponent is already there and I'm late for the next shot resulting in me bending over to reach the shuttle.

Thanks again for the video uploads and correcting me, will work on those points. :)

19. speCulatius

If you want to support it and think the videos are useful, it would help a lot to comment on the videos in YouTube, because that's an important factor for the YouTube algorithms., just as important as likes and subscribers.

With @Mason in mind, I've put together a hip warm-up video including some mobility exercise. Feel free to tell me what you think about it, ask questions, tell me what's missing, .... and use the YouTube comments. ;) And thanks again to the almighty Don to help with this.

Vivek Bagadhi, swsh and LenaicM like this.
  20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think it would be good to have some further hip extension exercises plus an indication of how long to hold the stretch.

Amateur badminton players don't do it very well.

speCulatius likes this.