Badminton Specific Exercises and Workouts

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by speCulatius, Apr 12, 2019.

1. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Don't be shy, make the video this weekend!

Mr Arc2 likes this.
  2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Errr... no.... I can’t, because.... errrr.... reasons.....

speCulatius likes this.
  3. HN52354

HN52354 Regular Member

Very nice videos! Keep it up!

I'm no expert but a suggestion is squat jumps/ froggies. That's what we call them but a quick search on youtube showed that it wasn't the same thing I meant lol. It's the one where you do a squat, touch the ground with your hands, then jump up, go back down to squat and repeat. The jump from the low position might help train your legs to recover faster e.g. when you lunge but need to push back to return to center. If that makes sense?

4. speCulatius

Thank you!

It's on my list, i just didn't have a chance to record the next plyo workout yet. ;)

HN52354 likes this.
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I try this quite a lot but as I am getting past middle aged, it's really quite difficult and fail. However, my kids just go up and down like a duck to water....

Bought some resistance bands - small ones for the legs and longer ones where I can work on my rotator cuff locking my core muscles in the process. In the gym, I fix resistance bands to the gym post and work on first step movement. The resistance band is around one of the ankles.

speCulatius likes this.
  6. speCulatius

With all this time and being forced out of playing badminton, I reevaluated what I had been doing so far, what I had (and have) planned and how to approach that.

First of all, I know there's a few things that I was asked for and didn't do yet. This mainly goes in the direction of a training plan/when to do what kind of thing...

and stretching/mobility training...
    There are some more dynamic mobility exercises already and more coming, but nothing like static stretches and stretching methods for a separate workout or as an addition to a softer, slow paced training.

Good news, with all this time to spare now, I'm starting to planning it out as how to approach it, possibly as a real time thing, because for me, the biggest difficulty is to hold the stretches long enough to really show an impact. That also gave some ideas on how to approach the training plan and HRV guided training thing, but nothing is finalized yet. Any ideas are still welcome.

Bad news is that there's still a lot of other videos on my list that I want to make.

There's been two small changes for the last two videos. One of them actually used a training tool (kettle bell) and one of them is not the short style, but a real time (short) workout...

While I don't like the setting inside, I wanted to make a point that you really can do it at home with very limited space (like most of my videos).

I'm still happy about any feedback, suggestions and other thoughts.

BalajiSethuraman, I3ugs and s_mair like this.
  7. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    Real time videos are great for the current situation.
    I did the workout yesterday. It was pretty intense:oops:. My calfs are still burning but I guess that's a good sign...:cool:

The editing and music is nice.
    Iirc there is one part where the upcoming exercise is missing, don't remember the timestamp tho.
    Great work, keep it up!

speCulatius likes this.
  8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Did it as well two days ago. And yeah, I can still feel my calves. :D

Great workout, covers pretty much all relevant muscle groups for badminton players in those ~25 minutes. And the good thing with these real time workouts is that it's very motivating to keep going till the end of the exercises when you watch someone else doing it.

speCulatius likes this.
  9. speCulatius

That should not have happened. Sorry for that.
    I wouldn't go that far, but it's s good start, I guess.

Thanks to both of you for the kind words!

10. speCulatius

On Sunday, it's the channel's first birthday. I honestly didn't imagine I'd still be making videos and I really didn't believe that it would be that much work. I hope to be able to finish two videos for Sunday (one of them is rendering at this moment)... and I want to thank all of you for any feedback and support! Since my next video will not be published before Sunday, here's a new badminton related channel... and you'll see why I share his video...

... and no, I didn't know he would do that.

Cheung, missclicked and s_mair like this.
  11. speCulatius

I started this thread exactly one year ago, after uploading the first video on April 12, 2019, so I would see that as the Birthday of this channel. Yesterday, I made a video to recap what I had done in that one year and while there were less productive times, it was nice to see the different videos and see that I had been quite productive overall.

When I get comments on YouTube or Instagram, people seem to assume that this is a team, but it's a one man show. The guy in the videos, that's me, that's the one doing all the work. I guess comments like that imply that the work done is not too shabby. And it's a lot of work, but when I see that there's always a video from my channel being watched somewhere on this planet, it helps. Getting any kind of feedback is great. I know the videos are not perfect, I'd never upload anything if I wanted them to be perfect, but when somebody points out something (s)he'd like to see improved, I really appreciate that. When people share my videos, it's worth a lot to me. All this motivation leads to videos like the next one...

You have to wait to watch it for 25 hours, but I promise, it's worth the wait. A huge thanks goes out to @s_mair who always helps by discussing ideas or giving advice (especially quick replies during working hours) and who (once again) is one of the main reasons why I started. The other reason was a comment by @Mr Arc2 on a video that not many people saw, I'm not sure if he even knows that. But it's not only those two, I'm grateful for everybody watching, sharing, commenting on my videos.... and that might be the easiest way of support, but it really helps. Just leaving thumbs up, maybe a comment, and sending the link to others who might like it.... Thanks for all of that.

There is another way to support me... and not, it's not about money. I rely on the YouTube music library, but if there's somebody reading this who would like to hear his music in those videos (certainly mentioning that, obviously), I'd be happy to do that... and if somebody has some samples that are loopable (did I just create a word?), maybe even the same theme for resting and working music, I would love that. Just reply here or PM me if you have any thoughts on that. There's more changes coming, but the music might be one of those.

Mr Arc2 and s_mair like this.
  12. speCulatius

Let's start with a video that's not by me, but... I do like his short summaries of what's going on in the badminton world and he has nice words about what I do, so I just have to share it...

I'm pretty sure it I blushed a little when he said my videos were the gold standard of something.

And then I tried something new. I see it as a lesson in singles tactics and it's far from perfect, but I learned a lot on how I'll approach this kind of videos in the future in case I'll do it again, so let's see if you like it... it's more work than what it looks like though, so we'll see.

s_mair and LenaicM like this.
  13. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Already a fan of this new format - I've watched that match live and my summary in the end was a simple "Viktor played better!". Looking at the match again with your tactical inputs, it shows a lot how much some basic things can make a difference. In that case, Viktor had the right plan from the beginning with keeping the court small and limiting the angles for CTC whereas CTC didn't seem to have any plan at all. So bottom line, it's not the devastating 400 kph smash that decides matches, but finding a tactic that generally gives you the upper hand. Personally, I always had issues to have an eye for these things when I'm watching team mates live or -even worse- standing on court myself. These kind of videos will surely help to sharpen my view and getting an idea how to approach this topic in general.

Long story short: I would love to see more videos like that!

LenaicM and speCulatius like this.
  14. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    Gameplay analysis? I'm in for that!
    How about TTY vs. CYF or VA vs. LZJ from All England?

btw, totaly forgot to reply to the previous follow along.
    I did it togethter with my girlfriend (non badminton player) and it was fun and easy to follow.
    Planing to do this one on lazy days.

LenaicM and speCulatius like this.
  15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

@speCulatius
    You see?! :D

speCulatius likes this.
  16. speCulatius

Yeah... I've been in touch with @s_mair about audio recording and preceding and that's something he'd like to see as well. The three last matches by TTY are already on my laptop for that fanboy. And big require to him for an the help!

That's what it's meant to be...

Thanks for your opinion on both!

endFX likes this.
  17. speCulatius

It's been quiet around here and on my channel. While I have some footage laying on my computer, I decided to do something else for the end of the year.

An Advent Calendar.

It's gonna be one post per day until Christmas and you can find all of it on Instagram.

For the exercises I'll post, you'll find a summary on YouTube as well, later on - and a little Christmas surprise.

There'll be some posts, that are not exercises, though. It will probably end up in a video sooner or later, but for now, they'll be exclusively on instagram. I just like the picture based format for this. I call it Tactic Tuesday and here is the first one (for December 1)!

What do you guys think?

If you want to support my work, make suggestions here, follow on YouTube and Instagram and comment and like everything there and share everything with everybody. I hate mentioning this, but it really helps within those algorithms.

If you're confused by the new logo, that was a spontaneous (tired, but not drunk) idea last night, so I'm giving it a try. What do you think?

Oh... and if anybody knows how to convince @s_mair that a badminton podcast with him and me is a good idea, let me know!

s_mair, pughon and intrepid like this.
  18. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I wasn't aware that we've been discussing this topic yet... o_O

I'm looking forward to the Adventskalender and the Christmas surprise. I've been doing your two real-time workouts a couple of times over the past weeks due to lack of workout-creativity and I have to say that they are just really, really good. Good pacing, easy to follow and they just don't cause any sort of discomfort the day after. And they cause that beautiful thirst for a beer right afterwards... you know, the one when the first beer pretty much evaporates before it even reaches the stomach... :D

speCulatius likes this.
  19. speCulatius

Discussing might be the wrong word. I dropped the idea a while ago...

Anyway, the second post and first exercise of the advent calendar is here and I have to say that I do like this logo. :D

s_mair likes this.
  20. speCulatius

It's been a while... but now that Valentine's Day is over, it's time for SINGLES!

On a more serious note, I'm considering new Hardware, because what's mostly holding me back from uploading more videos is the cringe worthy editing process on my 6-year-old core-M laptop and the 1 Day of render time for a 30 minutes video with some effects. I cannot justify that, really, thus in considering several options and I'd love to hear your opinion on what's your favorite way to support content you like...
    • accepting ads and commercials before and during videos
    • Patreon/Steady/... accepting giving those platforms money for the feeling of being in touch with the creator and maybe some exclusive content/service (coaching in my case)
    • bank transfer to ensure that the money given reached the person it's supposed to reach, therefore accepting that it feels strange to just send a random person money
    • sending hardware not used anymore
    • any other way... I do have some ideas, but I'd like to read your opinion
    It doesn't matter if you'd consider supporting me or not, I might have a very unique opinion on that, that's why I'm trying to hear from others.