Badminton in central london

Discussion in 'UK' started by Martin, Mar 29, 2005.

1. WPBClub

WPBClub New Member

Hey for everyone who wants a challenge, Bacon's college on a Wednesday is for intermediates.

Starts from 8 - 10.30 and is £5 using feathers.

Come down anytime if you are interested and speak to the organiser.

2. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

I'll be in London soon, probably Bacon's college will be the nearest court but i dunno what 'intermediate' means as it may be completely different from what 'intermediate' means in Singapore , hopefully I am not that bad by UK intermediate standards... :)

May I know what speed of shuttles are used in London? (Yonex speed number 1,2,3 and the other brands numbering, 75,76,77,78?) I want to bring some over.

3. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

we normally use 76 in my club, 77 and 78 are way too fast.

4. Garuda

Garuda Regular Member

San Francisco (Originally from Jakarta, Indonesia)
    Playing Badminton in Chiswick, London

Hi Everyone,

I will come to London for a vacation and stay in Chiswick for a few days (from May 11 through 14, and May 18 through 20 of 2007 -- visit Paris in those missing dates). I am an advanced intermediate player and have been playing badminton for over 5 years now in a regular basis.

I was wondering if anyone who is kindly willing to let me know where I can play (drop-in) nearby Chiswick or perhaps a distance of 30 minutes away by train from Chiswick?? This is gonna be my first visit in London, so, I know nothing about the city. I am a very friendly and easy going.

I really appreciate for your caring replies. Thank you very much!!! :)

5. kevin.kga

kevin.kga Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Hi guys,

I've just discovered a place in island gardens just outside of the Island Gardens tube station where courts can be booked per hour (£7). All I need now are players. Anyone interested? Island Gardens is only 10 mins away from CanaryWharf. This is ideal for anyone in Island Gardens, Mudchute, Crossharbour, South Quay, Heron Quays and Canary Wharf.

I am mainly a singles player and this is one of the rare opportunities to get singles games in the UK. I noticed that singles isn't very common in this country. Please contact me if you're interested.

Cheers,
    Kevin

6. dmwg40

dmwg40 Regular Member

any idea what type of courts they are wood? etc

7. kevin.kga

kevin.kga Regular Member

Software Engineer
    The courts are wood.

8. flips40

flips40 New Member

Technical analyst
    Hi all,
    I've just moved to Isle of Dogs (just outside Mudchute DLR) and I'm looking to get back into badminton. I haven't played for the last 4 years (while I was at uni) but before that I was probably low-intermediate standard.

Anyone have any suggestions of nearby clubs that accept people of slightly lower standards (all the ones I've seen seem very strict about being up to club/league level).

-Paul

9. jezr9

jezr9 New Member

admin clerk
    badminton interested ???

paul ;

i'm not that good but rather i can hit the shuttlecock well / you will have a good game with me for an hour / just let me know your availability otherwise text me on this 077.8757.5330 / we can play in mile end park gym, mullberry school for girls or whitechapel gym / i can play after office hours or weekends / regards >>> jepp

10. peterevers

peterevers New Member

Hi everyone, I just moved to London and played badminton for several years in The Netherlands, just looked up my ranking and I'm ranked about 1000. So certainly not a great player, but far from beginner too. I'm looking for a club to train on weekdays and to play in a league team as well. I live and work in Central London. Any suggestions?

11. dmwg40

dmwg40 Regular Member

12. peterevers

peterevers New Member

Thanks for helping! I'm looking for a club in Zone 1 or 2 in London and I definitely need to be able to get to there by tube. Night of the week preferably Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday. I'm basically looking for the nearest, not very very small, club to Tottenham Court Road.

13. dmwg40

dmwg40 Regular Member

not sure about clubs in central london.

There is bacon school at rotherhithe which is in zone 2 nearest tube canada water.

check the all england website theymight have some more clubs listed inner city

14. kevin.kga

kevin.kga Regular Member

Software Engineer
    The only problem with Bacon's college is that it's about 15 mins walk from canada water tube station. The place tends to be very packed too.

15. dmwg40

dmwg40 Regular Member

it has 4 courts and can be busy.

but so can most places, where I play we have 60 odd members on one night average turning up is 30-40 on 4 courts.

16. spezzer

spezzer New Member

IT
    Hi

I just moved to Isle of Dogs (nr Island Gardens) for work (Canary Wharf) and need to get some exercise. Havent played for a few years so anybody know where I can join in for a game or 2 a couple of times a week in either area?

Cheers!

17. wharfplayer

wharfplayer Regular Member

Playing badminton in Canary Wharf and Docklands area

Hi there,
    I live and work in Canary Wharf area. Together with my friends, we have just set up a group to organise some badminton games for people around Canary Wharf and Docklands area. Please visit our website http://londonbadminton.weebly.com or our Facebook Group

We aim to organise badminton sessions regularly for say 2 hours each session. We welcome badminton players of all levels. Shuttlecocks will be provided. The plan is to start with Saturday session and then a weekday badminton night.

Tell me what you think. Interested?

18. ckone

ckone New Member

badminton club set up?

Hiya,

I was wondering if you guys managed to set up your own club, and if players of all levels are still welcome? I've been playing for about 6 months. If it's set up I have a few people that are interested in playing - we used to play at Woolwich but we'd like to go elsewhere now...

19. dmwg40

dmwg40 Regular Member

Are things that bad at the waterfront with Phil then...

20. wharfplayer

wharfplayer Regular Member

ckone,
    you are most welcome to join our group. we play 3 times a week, tuesdays, thursdays and saturdays. we always limit the number of players per session, so that there is less waiting time. maximum of 6 players per court.

check out the website http://londonbadminton.weebly.com and you need to pre-book via Facebook (search The London Canary Wharf Badminton Meetup Group). if you don't have a Facebook account, just create one

hope to see you soon. cheers