Badminton Asia U17/U15 Junior Championships 2023

Discussion in '2023 Tournaments' started by Cheung, Oct 18, 2023.

1. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

tbgoh288 likes this.
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Tremendous battles for first two matches. High standard considering the disruptions of covid.

3. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

I saw chinese MS U15 playing Indian boy Bornil. I must say Chinese boy has very good attack. But Bornil is more all rounded. First game went to Bornil. Unfortunately, it seems like in the mid game interval of second game where indian boy was leading 11-9, chinese boy got injured it seems. He pulled his abdomen muscle or thigh, I have no idea, the remaining points were obvious. Hope he is ok. I cant watch these injuries.

tbgoh288 and Cheung like this.
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Some of these Indian boys have tremendous defence. Quite incredible.

5. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Happy watching Bornil win Bs u15 Asia final beating Chinese player in two games in China. Bornil has a good attack but as cheung mentioned about his direction of racket while going to the baseline, I noticed this. I think Bornil is from Assam, so he’ll get benefit of newly inaugurated National Centre of Excellence with Mulyo and Park guiding him.

Having, said that there is an added pressure on children who show promises in sports or studies from an early age coz people will really look into your results after those early achievements. If you fail, they’ll be the first ones to downgrade you or call your previous achievements luck. In this regard, those people are really lucky who have been moderate or below par in earlier childhood years but then they show epic results like Srikanth. I wish Bornil best of luck for the future.

Cheung likes this.
  6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I got a closer look at the China coach for the girls. It’s Wang Lin!

rajat_remar, Baddie lover and nokh88 like this.
  7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Tanvi lost a close third game to take runner up. It was a high quality match.

In the third game, Tanvi lost her touch at the net. IIRC , 3 netshots didn’t work. It’s been working so well throughout the previous matches that I watched her play. If you watch back at the final match, after the failed netshots, she would flick to the back of the court of which a few went out. With a final score of 21-19 in the final set, that’s the difference between a champion and runner up.

Baddie lover likes this.
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I see two of the U17 girls doubles in the final have powerful jump smashes

Chen Yan Fei and Kim Tae Yeon

I also spoke to Tanvi’s coach discussing a little of the game. I also told him how impressed I was with the Indian team spirit and the fighting spirit of the individual players.

9. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Wow you’re in Chengdu ? For some personal work or something else ?

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Yes. Personal work at the tournament. LOL.

I have enjoyed this tournament. It’s different from the WT tournament - it’s entertaining because you will definitely get to see at least two or three of the best players from each country over two age categories in one tournament. That’s quite uncommon to get all the best juniors at one tournament. It also helps foster camaraderie between the different age groups.

The best cheerleading really has to go to Japan though. I think their leading girl deserves a place on the senior squad with her voice support. She was outstanding.

Chinese Taipei versus India - India shouted “Let’s go India , Let’s go”. In reply Chinese Taipei did an amusing chant shouting “Go home India, go home”!

In the breaks, the organisers played a variety of different music from different countries with different languages - even Bollywood. That was a really nice touch. They even played one of the tik tok dance songs during the U17 finals and the U17 bronze medalist from Thailand (with her friends encouragement) stood up and danced. Unfortunately I wasn’t fast enough to capture it on video. Great moment though.

#30 Cheung, Oct 22, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2023
  11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Coaching, I would deduce.