Badminton Asia U17/U15 Junior Championships 2023

Discussion in '2023 Tournaments' started by Cheung, Oct 18, 2023.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I’m at this tournament in Chengdu in China.

Today is day 2.

India has had some very strong performances.

Girls singles : one Indian girl beat a China girl in convincing fashion. She’s a very clever player and good strokes. She doesn’t look athletic but wow, she can really control the game.

Boys doubles: there was an entertaining U17 boys doubles that went to three sets, again against China.

Boys singles: playing right now is Suryaksh Rawat. For a time he was really matching his China opponent. His defence was really something.

Also impressive is the team India support. They are very noisy. Extremely good.

Attached Files:

Baddie lover, nokh88 and Baddyforall like this.
  2. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

LiveStreaming?

3. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

wrong post

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

rajat_remar likes this.
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I thought japanese were mild mannered and quiet. Their cheerleading is certainly doing a good job on court 3, U17 men’s doubles, Shogo miyashita/Masato Yamashiro vs Jeong Da Hwan/ Na Seon Jae

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Good fighting spirit from all Indian players. I have been very impressed with this batch of Indian team juniors.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

There’s an Indian girl called Tanvi Sharma.

She’s really really good. She’s got excellent court sense and judgement of pace. Very deceptive flicks off the net. And when she needs it, has an accurate smash. She controls the opponent causing lots of indecision in her opponent.

She’s playing a Taiwanese girl in the quarter final who is really pushing the pace. She’s taking the shuttle really early at the net so that Tanvi can’t use that flick from the net and to draw Tanvi in closer with a subsequent lift to the back. The Taiwan coaches must have spotted this in earlier matches.

I would say Tanvi’s weakness is a bit of speed around court, lower body + leg strength and fitness.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

The Japanese cheerleaders are impressive. They should get a place on the senior national team for their cheerleading skills.

9. Baddyforall

She is really good. I have been following so many indian youngsters , I would say she has one of the best control among the current crop of indian WS players ( excluding Sibdhu and saina). She is just 16. We lost hope in WS long ago . Nobody in indian circuit come close to Sindhu and Saina. Now, I have hope. Tanvi definitely has skills. But she's slow around the court and lack of fitness. Hope She finds it before 19.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Her twisting body movement is not so fast. Usually skill players get away with lack of fitness by controlling the opponent more effectively. This will get less and less as she gets older. I watched two matches of hers. She is the player everyone hates because to have a chance to beat her, you have to play consistently high quality over two three sets. That’s tough for anyone let alone junior players.

Baddyforall likes this.
  11. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Because of you, I got to know about this tournament and then again because of you, I got to know some promising results. Then I checked tournament software and was surprised to see that tomorrow two Indian boys will fight against each other in BS u15 semis and Tanvi will play in GS u17 semis. Some good wins there by us.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Tanvi does it again.

She managed to break her opponent’s focus in the third game. The Thai girl did some quick errors after change of ends in the third set and Tanvi knew she had the match.

Baddyforall likes this.
  13. Baddie lover

Cheung, it seems like you’ve become an Indian badminton follower lol. How did Indian boys play in all India semis ? Did you see that match ?

14. Baddyforall

They both are good. But singh is very lean and physically he was out of breath many times.
    The other guy is playing really well. He plays like Prannoy, he constructs a rally and finishes it with a smash. He defeated many good players very comfortably. Also defeated a chinese boy with scores like 14 and 13 in quarters.

Baddie lover likes this.
  15. Baddyforall

Yeah. Watched only in 3rd game. She constructs a rally and she is very good at net. Thai player is second seeded. She was stranded many times at the net due to her deception. I was really impressed by her shot quality.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I did see parts of that match. I’m sorry I didn’t much attention. I noticed the boy with glasses would hang his racquet downwards when moving backwards, otherwise he’s a good player.

I predict the China player to win the U15 boys singles.

Outstanding girl players are Low Zi Yu of Malaysia and Sarisa Janpeng of Thailand.

Baddie lover likes this.
  17. Baddie lover

I saw results of these 3 players who played today. Pretty impressive wins for them in this tournament. Any of them, you feel have potential to shine in future ?

Baddyforall likes this.
  18. Baddyforall

Both the boys has potential . But they need to work on endurance , especially Bornil has a good future. I reserve my judgements. I wont say he is extraordinary but he is well balanced player.
    Tanvi has a very good future if she maintain her physique well unlike other indian WS players . She has to work on speed and lower body strength.
    I do have some reservation on the boy haircut for girls. If I am not wrong, this was started by chinese girls and this starts to spread like fire. I dont like that boyish look. They lose their originality.

This boy Bornil Akash was allowed to play few minutes with Sindhu when she was invited as chief guest of an event 3 years back. That one incident, definitely changed the life of this boy it seems. This motivated him to work hard and now he is in the final of U15 Asia.

#18 Baddyforall, Oct 21, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2023
    Cheung and Baddie lover like this.
  19. ChildrenOfBadminton

ChildrenOfBadminton Regular Member

Badly badly badly need good WS for india . Have eyes on hemanth, samiya ( personal favourite for reasons other than badminton ;)), unnati,tasnim , and now tanvi . Love seeing players grow into world challengers

20. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

Where can I watch the finals? Any livestream please?