Anyone going to Hyderabad for the 2009 WC?

Discussion in 'World Championships 2009' started by cooler, Dec 9, 2005.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Have you reviewed/re-read the thread??..^^

..esp. from the first 3 pages??..I know 1 or 2 or maybe even 3 other BCers, from outside of India, were planning to come. I know another member, originally from India but now living in the U.S., not malayali, was planning to come.

Wow, pjswift and her loyal traveling companion, Jen, are going, too!...Take good care of them, abang Din..:p

2. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Yeah, you know them, I haven't met them .... :p Unless we are introduced, impossible to know each other.

Have you forgotten, my days of "Caretaker Mgmt" is over, Jen and pjswift will, ahem, have to fend for themselves ..... wakakakaka. :D They are arriving on the 10th, I will only be there on the 13th.

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Do keep us interested with your daily reports and perhaps get Avataar to take some pictures to go with them. You have quite a "burden" on your shoulders, bro. Sorry I can't help. Enjoy your daily 10km walk. We should see a much slimmer Abang Din by then. :D:D:D:p

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    haha,a slimmer abeding is better for his healthy:D

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Unfortunately for Bro Din, no matter how hard he tries he could never in be in "limsy shape". :p:p:p

But I think limsy can afford to challenge Bro Din and put on some meat. :D
    Hope you are enjoying your studies. :)

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Watching the WC at home

Actually it is not too bad to be watching the WC in the comforts of your private lounge at home. :p

Days before the competition you can stock up all the makan2 and tidbits plus all your favourite drinks, including the cold refreshing beer, and place them in front of you at arms' length on the coffee table to be consumed at random while watch the proceedings.

Unfortunately you can't do this at the Hyderabad venue (One good thing I learn without having to go there is how to spell the name of the place correctly!;)). If you need to buy restricted tidbits and drinks and forget about food poisoning, you need to get up from your seat and make your way slowly to the stalls, careful not to knock onto the other spectators like you along the way.

You have to repeat the same procedure if nature calls, whereas at home nobody cares how often you go to the loo and in what attire. Naturally you put on the least without shoes to really make you feel at home. And you can control the room temperature with either fan or air conditioner. :)

If you are unfortunate enough to get a 'poor' seat at the venue, you may need to stretch your neck and turn your head every now and then to be able to watch properly, more so if you have very excited fans sitting in front, shouting and banging his long balloon clappers and perhaps beating a hand drum too! :( Nothing of this sort if you are watching at home. :D

Additionally, if your seat is too far away from the courts or your view is somehow obstructed, you will not be able to enjoy the court action. On the other hand, the skillful camera crew brings you all the relevant action clearly and in great variety. Different angles and positions, zoom-in for facial expressions of the players, for net clinging shots and close line-calls. Slow-motion replays can be shown in between. Even the speed of the smash can be recorded and shown on TV if the organizers have the equipment.

Can you get all these at the venue?

Even so, you need to pay quite a bit to fly to the venue and pay for transportation, hotel, food and tickets. And this takes away your time and you have to endure the journey by air and road and all their discomforts.

Maybe staying at home is a better proposition for now, especially when the swine flu is still flying about very strongly. :):):)

7. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

yeah, we will be here in our own private lounge enjoy watching the wc:D:D
    we are in our own stadium..
    stadium astro:p:p

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    George, so for once you agree with me but do you know that you're asking for trouble. Mati-lah! Both you and I combined will not be able to match the strength of Bro Din! :eek::(:cool:

9. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    George, this private lounge should only be enjoyed by semi-retired folks like Loh, but not you. Your so-called private lounge is so limited.

The atmosphere cannot be fully transmitted to your lazy armchair. Case in point, the INA Open Finals. Great live atmosphere, but muted if you are just following TV broadcast.

You would be missing quite a lot of matches, those which would not be played on TV courts.

Most of all, you would be missing stuff that are NOT SHOWN on TV. Read my previous commentaries and all these add up to a Very Special Occasion.

Since we would eventually be getting what you would enjoy on TV anyway (by video sharing), obviously it is the superior option, to be at the venue during tournaments. But of course, there's a need to "invest".

Besides, there's nothing more painful and discomforting than work ...... so might as well take a break.

10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    oh no,i am under weight,not healthy too:(
    haha
    hope i can enjoy wc in my college:)

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hopefully..

..wow, they'll be arriving on the 10th??..truly dedicated fans, LCW fans..:cool:
    ..you, pjswift and Jen are well prepared and have stocked up on all medicines for that possible food poisoning episode. I don't want you guys to travel all the way there, spend your "investment", sweat through the hot, humid weather, only to come down with some untimely illness which will prevent you guys from enjoying the WC..:cool:

#131 ctjcad, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  12. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I dare say I am fitter than limsy or probably any other BC forummer .... as far as long walks are concerned. :p Longest I have walked home was 20-odd kms from Stadium Negara, in the early hours of 17 May 1992 when we wrested the Thomas Cup for the last time. Anything around 6 kms or so is Child's Play.

But not on the badminton court, I was "humbled" by the girls young and mature in the 2008 Super Series Finals BC Competition. :eek::p:crying:.

13. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Agree nothing beats watching a badminton tournament 'live'. And no irritating TV commentators :)

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Nobody can argue with many of the benefits of watching live at the venue, that's why I still have to attend some tournaments in person. To soak in the atmosphere, to visit new places and to meet congenial BC buddies again.:D

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Aiyoh! Got stamina no skill, shame! :p You good friend of Misbun wat. Surely can ask him for some good tips. Of course not to beat LD lah! :D:D:D

16. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Heh heh!!! There was once a time that I was a very good school player. Then, one fine day, when Misbun started creating an appetite of beating All-England Champions, I broke my arm and dislocated my elbow.

Thus, I lost power, and gradually my footwork, only the (walking) stamina is still left ...... :p

17. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    That is why we are armed with, ahem, travel insurance. :D Someone has to pay if we don't get our "returns of investment", wakakakaka.

18. george@chongwei

aiks bro Din, are u TEMPTING me to go ?:D:D
    But don't worry, I will get latest news,juicy news and the latest happening around the stadium from 'someone' of course:cool::p:p heheheh

Anyway, enjoy your WC trip:cool::)
    As usual, i will rely on STADIUM ASTRO this time.

Just saw an advertisement stating that stadium astro will broadcast the WC for 1 week!!!:):):D:D:D
    means from day 1 onwards..hooray:D:D..wakakaka

#138 george@chongwei, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  19. luyi80

luyi80 Regular Member

Wowwwwwwwww......Abang Din, u r flying to Hyderabad, again!!! :eek::eek::eek: How envy I am...:crying::crying::crying: Have a safe journey and enjoy! Send my regards to PJ and Jen ya. :D:p;)

20. george@chongwei

Make sure u ask taufik this time ok, abedeng?:D
    ask him whether during the swiss open quarter final last shot of that match whether its in or out..,;)
    hehe, rewind back your history..