Another Double Rotation Question

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kaki!, Jul 14, 2016.

1. druss

druss Regular Member

This discussion kind of went off track. We went from discussing rotation to trying to decide whether the cross court clear was a good shot or not. IMO, it doesn't really matter if it's good or not, the question he asked, and we should try to answer, is if you're in a front/back formation and you're both biased to the backhand side and the person at the back does a cross court clear, which way should the front and back player now move to receive it. It does come down to the relative capabilities of the players and whether the clear was a defensive or offensive one. Whether the opposing team has a good back hand or not.... etc. When I'm playing someone I know has a really bad back hand and 80% of the time he's going to play a drop from the rear back hand court then honestly, I cheat and rush the net anticipating the straight drop shot. So while there are the standard, trained responses that are the bread and butter of what we play, what we are trained to play, you need to also evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of both your partner and your opponents and play the best shot available and since you know what you're doing you need to be ready to take advantage of that shot if your partner isn't.

2. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

I did have a good read of all the wonderful replies - the thread has certainly given me some food for thought.

I'll answer the original question: back player plays a cross court clear, and both players are on the backhand side.

For me, as a back court player, if I am balanced and I chose to play a cross court clear instead of a smash for example, then I fully expect to make a mad rush to take the reply. This is because i'm moving forwards, I have the best view of my opponents, and I can react better. I am also quite an athletic player, so the distance is not a problem for me, even if the opponents play a straight drop. I would never expect the front player to take this, as he is potentially defending a smash whilst moving backwards - hard enough crosscourt, and much harder if he is taking a straight smash.

I'll be honest on my next point - i would never, ever play a crosscourt clear if i was at the back, in an unbalanced position. Firstly my crossclear clear whilst unbalanced isn't that strong, and secondly, it would be easier to play it straight - I can easily move over to fill the gap since I've given myself more time to take a crosscourt smash (or I'm fully ready to move forward if my front player moves out to receive a crosscourt smash). If I WERE to play the defensive crosscourt clear, i'd generally expect to lose the point, because my partner will fully expect to move straight back (how on earth does he know if i'm off balance or not?!), and I will have to respond to the straight smash/drop whilst i'm already off balance.

As for whether I ever play crosscourt clears...well, that completely depends on my opponents - but as I mentioned, I feel responsible for covering the forehand side if I do decide to play it.

ucantseeme likes this.
  3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I think that a cross court clear is not totally bad, when it is used in a suitable situation, but this situations are not common. I rarely had the thought during games that a cross court clear is a great shot to create a winner. I know guys who come pretty close to the net, when your smashs in a row makes you tired and off balance through the movement, you will be unable to do quality smash. They expect a drop shot and come really close to the net.
    A flat cross court clear can be confusing and do the trick, they struggle to get behind the shuttle and must hit it at a lower point,which will lead to high chance of neutral or defensive shot and you can keep attacking and get some time for yourself to have short break during the rally.

FME I had better success with a clear between both defenders, which also makes your opponents for a second confusing. It will lead to a slightly delayed start.

Cheung and DarkHiatus like this.
  4. bbmars

bbmars Regular Member

Technical offier
    Perhaps, you and your partners may not have understood some basic position playing doubles. Given your position, your opponents should not be evenly square on their side. The guy (your opponent) on your right should be standing more towards the centre line. The centre line (imaginary) has already been shifted more into his partner court. Don't believe, go watch many of the Youtube video and there are even training videos on this position.

As for the cross court clear, why? If you watch XD, you will find this often done when the weaker player send it cross court clear so that she can switch to front play and his partner to cover the back and the right side ready. Or to get out of tight situation.
    However, if your cross clear isn't well done, you have created a hole in your position. Why, your partner is lightly to be more towards your left as you mentioned. Then the right side of your court especially, the side line will be most vulnerable to quick smashes.

Many had said, as back player, you must watch your front player movement. You can't just move thinking your partner will do what you anticipate he would do. If he is in a wrong position and doesn't realise, then by your movement, you are creating even more gaps by moving in your so call appropriate position. Your opponent can see this and take advantage of the positioning error. I see this happen many times in my opponent game.

Occasionally, you can do a cross court smashed into the mid court. Seen this on Youtube occasionally and opponent taken by surprise. But perhaps, if this has to happen again, then it may not be a good move because you are creating the confusion knowing what is going to happen. In my play, depending on who I partner, sometimes I can't do what I want to because my partner isn't able to cover the return shot due to my previous execution. So my question is, why do it then?