Amateur line judge???

Discussion in 'World Championships 2003' started by LazyBuddy, Jul 29, 2003.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If u can read chinese, u can take a look at this news: http://www.chinabadminton.com/news2003/jul/sjs28gdbsdsx.shtml

If this guy is right, then seems the majority of the 70 line judge are pure amateur, including ppl even don't know too much about badminton??? The training is done the night before Day 1.

My god, I can't believe ppl don't know too much about the game, can be given such an important job (or, am I over concern about this issue???)

Note:

1. Be careful when they meet Taufik, especially if they make a wrong call...

2. Since WC2005 will be held in LA, assume USAB will do the same (hire amateur line judge, secuirty, staff, etc), maybe I should take a vacation of 10 days and apply???

2. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    Sure, LB. Just make sure you don't accidentally cheer! ;) :D

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: Re: Amateur line judge???

This actually reminds me.

If my favorite player is losing, maybe I should pretend to cheer loudly for his/her opponent, therefore, the match will be dis-qualified. Then, my favorite will have one more shot...

hmmm... evil... :eek:

4. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    Re: Re: Re: Amateur line judge???

Sure, LB. Just make sure you don't get yourself banned! ;) :D

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Amateur line judge???

Lol...

If u see 2 big security guards throw a line judge out of the door, must be me...

Then, I guess I will make that day's headline, instead of any upset or so ever...

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: Re: Amateur line judge???

But seriously, is there any rules applied, if a line judge is obviously support one side? Such as cheer or even involved in an argument?

7. Xero

Xero Regular Member

I think they get those ppl becuz they don't know anything about the game.. so they won't be Bias towards anybody.. if people didnt' think of that already

and they can just concentrate on their job.. "LOOK AT ONE LINE"
    :D

8. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Even if neither player complains to the umpire, the umpire should suspend play and replace the line judge. Assuming the umpire notices.

According to the laws
    "Line Judges are normally appointed be the Referee, but a line judge can be removed by the umpire in consultation with the Referee"

9. andymcg

andymcg Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I've line judged at the European Junior champs before - it meant getting free entry in to the event and I was a poor student!

The only real problem that I found was that I was often judging on another court when there was a match on that I really wanted to watch elsewhere!!

Also, I found that if I just focused on the line and nothing else then I kind of started to go to sleep and could lose track of what was going on. It seemed to be better to follow the game all the time instead. Fortunately I seemed to get lucky and I didn't have to make too many calls!

It certainly gets you close to the action and the players though, which is great.

10. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I am so positive that if I ever become a line judge, I probably would look at the game and players (especially girls :p) more often than the line in front of me:p

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the best line judging position is probably the center line, or the service line. you only need to get aware at the beginning of the rally. otherwise, you can spend your time looking around. of course, if you are the service line judge, you are facing to the side, and if your fav match is behind you, it will be a torture as turning around will attract too much attention. however, if your fav match is in front of you then you have a very good view!

12. Kaffie

Kaffie Regular Member

self-employed
    line judge taking his nap? He looks so bored.

[​IMG]

#12 Kaffie, Jul 31, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2003
  13. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I don't think you get amateur service judges. I thought they were regular umpires.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Depends which level of umpiring they have reached.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    money and free ticket to olympic?

where do i sign up?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Putting It On the Line

A couple of years ago Doug Cress of Atlanta told his wife he wanted to find the "strangest way possible" to be a part of the upcoming Summer Games. "Well, we need 50 badminton line judges," said Sandra Cress, who is operations manager of the soccer competition for ACOG, "and right now we have none." So Cress took a course at Georgia State, eventually passed the U.S. Badminton Association certification test and today finds himself keeping his eye on the birdie during the gold medal match between Dong Jiong of China and Póul-Erik Hoyer-Larsen of Denmark. "This is not a sport where long experience is necessary," says Cress dryly.

The keys, he says, are focusing on your line when the birdie starts heading downward and facing up to complaints in many forms and languages. "For 40 bucks a game," says Cress, "you don't need some of the abuse. You get the evil eye, you get players waving rackets at you, you get coaches going nuts.

"But I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything. Hey, in what other sport could you basically walk in off the street and find yourself at the Olympics?"

16. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Yes, as a former line judge from Sydney 2000 I can confirm this.
    But not necessary 1 day before competition training.

I can also confirm some top players intimidation tactics etc of line judges
    (after experiencing Simon Archer's anger at a flick service decison
    during those Olympics).

17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Did a stint in the Canadian Masters Open at the VRC this year. Can't say that it's a bad experience. Like Kwun said, the worse thing is having to concentrate on your line while ignoring great games happening on either side of the court. Didn't help when the crowds applauding and cheering loudly. Also, if the game's long and boring... one will be hard pressed to keep from yawning:(. Actually, one of the volunteer linejudges was caught napping... can't blame her though, we all worked multiple games the whole day in the finals.

Positive experience would be the chance of watching elite players do the impossible save or acrobatic shots upfront. You can't be any nearer to the action than as a linejudge. The job itself is simple enough and the some of the players are pretty cordial with us after the game's concluded.

Player intimidation? In any event, we're told to ignore the player (avoid eye contact and any attempt to engage) and just call the shot... loudly:D. Afterall, what can they do to us:rolleyes:?

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

19. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Well, that remains to be seen... he hasn't won much outside of Indonesia, has he;)?

20. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer