Amateur line judge???

Discussion in 'World Championships 2003' started by LazyBuddy, Jul 29, 2003.

1. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Somehow I doubt Taufik would behave that badly in a formal setting... especially at an international tournament. Perhaps he felt more at ease to assert himself in his home country than anywhere else.

I recall reading somewhere on the forum that he stopped playing a match midway because he couldn't tolerate the notoriously biased Korean linejudges anymore during Korean Open:D. Didn't assault anybody in the process, he simply stood his grounds until the officials compromised:rolleyes:.

2. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    What- just check out last years Asian Champs in Korea - both Chinese
    and Indonesia claimed Korea's cheats - Taulfik left the court and had to be persuaded to come back.

This was following Thomas and uber Cups inGuangzhou where there were similar but less vigourus complaints about the Chinese, and
    being there a few calls were very dodgy.

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Yeah, we are talking about the same incident. At least Taufik didn't try to kick the linejudges' asses:D.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i doubt he can or want to take on all the line judges at once :rolleyes: ;)

#24 cooler, Jul 4, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2004
  5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

So I guess linejudges are 'safe' from Taufik's wrath;). Also, I doubt that he'll be so crass as to violently disrupt a tournament... especially at international tournaments with all eyes on him playing for home and country.

6. jump_smash

IT
    Not so sure dude,

Even though he is one of the greatest players I have seen, awesome backhand control work: smash, clear, flick, flat drive etc,
    I believe there have been a few news items, and posts about him and his father involved in fights in car parks with individuals and groups.

Seem to remmber one guy even pressing charges then with withdrawing them, But the police still investigating; and alll of this at the training centre carpark?!!

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

That's why linejudges should never engage the players in any way or form as per the instruction of the umpire. No eye-contact or anything. Basically stay out of the attention of the players. Do your call and remain non-commital to coercive attempts.

8. jump_smash

IT
    Thanks Cappy, but having undergone National championships, International competitions, Thomas an Uber Cup qualifiers, and Olympics I have had the training etc and experienced the competitions, and no matter what the manual says there are incidents!

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

The ideal situation would be to do your job and leave the problems in the court. Of course, we are dealing with the human factor here. Coercion and other negative incidents do occur sometime. I am not saying that they don't happen. All I am saying is that to minimize effects of coercive influence, one shouldn't engage the player under game condition in any matter other than the perfunctory one. Also, with so many eyes on the player... I would think he would have been on his best behaviour.

Perhaps with your lengthy experience, you could offer better solutions to those situations than the ones provided in the official's handbook. I simply don't know anything better than the ones I received from the official.

Also, have you considered that Taufik's well-publicised incidents are just regular occurances for other locals as well? It seems that the Javanese have a fondness for "taking it outside" in the busy and dangerous streets of Jakarta;).

Here's an insight on Indonesia of today... http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?p=158825#post158825