All England 2007 : Day 6 (3/11) Final

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2007' started by snasirin, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Dimplex

Dimplex Regular Member

student
    i'm just being realistic...i know theyre great players but every player loses now and then.
    btw i've already given them a lot of my support coz theyre my favourite MD pairing.

2. angelatby

angelatby Regular Member

Architect Assistant, Piano Teacher
    Hey btw, China only missed one medal i.e in MD event, im very sure they are very dissappointed but also a future challenge for them. Im impressed with XXF, but wats going with the RTM yesterday, ended the program before WS started, so frustrated. XXF really played a good game, wooh, so envy, she get the chance to spar with own BF, LD all the time !! :D :D :D :D Perfect Couple !!

3. yuqiu

yuqiu Regular Member

Monday March 12, 2007

Koo and Tan end Malaysia’s wait for All-England title

By RAJES PAUL

[​IMG]

PETALING JAYA: An awesome display by young hotshots Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong in the men's doubles final of the All-England at the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham yesterday brought much joy to Malaysia.

In their first outing as a pair in the championships, Kien Keat-Boon Heong tore apart world champions and top seeds Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng of China 21-15, 21-18 in a 38-minute battle to end Malaysia's 25-year wait for the title in the event.

And when they clinched the point to seal the match, the 21-year-old Kien Keat rolled over in sheer delight and then jumped for joy as national coach Rexy Mainaky ran onto court to hug 20-year-old debutant Boon Heong.

With the victory, Kien Keat-Boon Heong handed a perfect birthday gift to Rexy, who turned 39 on March 9.

And for the success, Kien Keat, who had crashed out in the early round with different partners at the All-England over the last three years, would have to go bald. It was a vow he made if he won the title.

Until yesterday, no Malaysia pair had won the title since the success of the Sidek brothers, Razif and Jalani, in 1982.

And what makes Kien Keat's and Boon Heong's efforts in the All-England more remarkable was that they achieved success without dropping a single game in the competition.

National chief coach Yap Kim Hock was thrilled over the outstanding achievements of the pair, who were playing in only their fifth international tournament.

“This is a big success for Malaysian badminton. We never doubted that Kien Keat-Boon Heong would pull off this feat. They lived up to our expectations. This is truly a memorable day for Malaysia,” said Kim Hock in a telephone interview from Birmingham yesterday.

“We returned home as the runners-up twice for the last three years but today, Kien Keat-Boon Heong completed the job perfectly. They had won the Asian Games gold (first in 36 years) and now, they have ended a 25-year wait. They have made Malaysians very, very proud.”

Kim Hock also showered praises on Rexy.

“He has put in so much hard work and the results are showing. We have bagged the Asiad gold and now the All-England. We will go for the world title (in the championships scheduled for Aug 13-19 at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil),” he added.

Kien Keat-Boon Heong held the upper hand over Cai Yun-Haifeng yesterday. The Chinese found it hard to keep pace with the speed set by their opponents and lost tamely in the first game.

But the second game saw the Chinese giving a better fight. But Kien Keat-Boon Heong bravely held out to score a famous victory, which was worth US$14,400. “This title means the world to me after three earlier failures,” said Kien Keat.

“This one is for the Malaysian fans, who had given us tremendous support throughout the competition, and also our coach. We beat this Chinese pair in the Doha Asian Games (quarter-finals) last December and we were optimistic of repeating that feat today.”

In Alor Star, Boon Heong's father Yoon Meng said that the family was quietly confident that the pair would win.

"I am overjoyed with my son's success. It is just like a dream as it has been a very long while since Malaysia won the All-England men's doubles title," he said.

Boon Heong's former coach Low Kean Tiong added: "The only thing that he must take care is to keep his feet on the ground and not allow success go to his head."

In Petaling Jaya, Kien Keat's father Chiew Wah reminded his son of the vow to go bald.

"I expected him to win because of the way they played. Everyone was shouting and jumping. There were almost 20 of us watching the game. We are all so happy they won," he said.

Congratulation to KKK and TBH and thanks you for making our day.

4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

This will certainly build their confidence and motivate them further but I hardly think they will be sad seeing this:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

5. ck1981

ck1981 Regular Member

Let's hope other countries will give China serious challenges in MS, WS, WD and XD in the future. Nothing is impossible.

6. F-Man

F-Man Regular Member

Student
  7. angelatby

angelatby Regular Member

Architect Assistant, Piano Teacher
    Swiss Open is going to start tomorrow, OMG, 1st Episode of Horror Movie again :eek: :eek: :eek:

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Yeah.. they will be leaving UK today.

9. yuqiu

yuqiu Regular Member

China will probably do the same thing in AE as they did in German Open. They did not because ...

Monday March 12, 2007

Germans complain about Chen Yu’s withdrawal

BIRMINGHAM: A formal complaint to the Badminton World Federation (BWF) is to be made by the German Open tournament director Boris Reichel about Chen Yu, the world number six from China.

Last Sunday Chen Yu withdrew from the final of the German Open in Mulheim, which he was due to play against his Chinese compatriot Lin Dan, the world number one, claiming he had a bad knee.

But a week later, Chen completed an All-England final against Dan, apparently without discomfort, having won four matches during the week.

“Chen made a show of climbing down the stairs at our tournament, and three days later he was jumping quite normally,” Reichel alleged.

“I am looking at it with the eyes of a coach, because I am also co-trainer of the national team,” Reichel emphasised.

“But from an organiser's point of view last week it was a tragedy because we staged a final with 2,000 spectators and TV – and no men's final.

“We were surprised that Lin Dan came to play a three-star tournament, but when we got the message that Chen was injured and couldn't play him in the final it was a catastrophe.

“He said it was an injury he got in practice in the morning. In that situation we don't say anything about it. But we will complain to the BWF, and it will also be in the report of the referee.” – AFP

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Hmm, interesting news, but..^^

..(no big deal)perhaps this news is more related to the German Open tourney??..:confused:

11. z3048018

z3048018 Regular Member

i meant during the live telecast. i've the 05/06 AE dvd and have seen him both times. i'm sure the live telecast will be the same on the dvd

12. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

CHN did it again, 4 titles! Gosh, seems they are so comfortable w/ the super-series format meanwhile the others has down trend. Coming up, Suisse SS will be another CHN success story?! CHN come to Basel w/ quite similar powerful squad except XXF and ZB/GL. Let's see how the others can beat this bdm titan.

Special credit to Koo/Tan (supported by Rexy), akhirnya kampiun juga di AE setelah 1/4 abad. WoW, their unforgettable moment to make MAS flag flying high, Congratz!

13. snasirin

snasirin Regular Member

Lecturer
    This actually has confirmed what I have been saying about the Chinese players who I think so lacking of sportsmanship!!!