21-point is better

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2006 Badminton' started by weeyet, Mar 20, 2006.

1. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Dude, I was only joking about the shuttlecock shootout ... I was never champion 3 years in a row, only runner-up twice. (joking, joking ... it was so obvious I don't know how you can take me seriously)

A game like badminton (just like tennis or table tennis) can never be time-constrained like football or hockey. It simply does not make sense.

2. Sammy

Sammy Regular Member

Engineer
    Rackets games are not mend to be a time limit game. It will kill the games off. Anyway, tennis is kind of interesting too especially ladies single. :D

3. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Electronics Tech, Badminton Junkie!

Oh I thought you were serious:p ...........not!

Maybe instead of a shuttle shoot out the players must fight bare fisted until only one man is still standing?.........yeah, that sounds cool!:cool:

That would be exciting: Badminton crossed with UFC and WWF!;)

P.S : This is a Joke!

4. Sammy

Sammy Regular Member

Engineer
    Hahahaha.....Imagine The Big Show play against LCW and lost the match. Then LCW was beaten up by The Big Show.....:cool:

5. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Electronics Tech, Badminton Junkie!
    Now thats entertainment!;) :D Ouch my stomach hurts from laughter now!

6. BooYa

BooYa Regular Member

So, go back to the origin,
    what was the driving force for IBF to switch the 15 x 3 game system to 21 pt system? Till now i am still puzzled :confused:

7. FrenziedEye

FrenziedEye Regular Member

Not enough popularity for badminton??? ( I think that they were referring to those smaller badminton nations, like Australia as seen from the Commonwealth Games)

Something to do with 15 X 3 games being too long....

AND BTW

THANK GOODNESS YOU WERE JOKING. YOU SCARED THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS OUT OF ME.....
    But at least it's a joke.. =)

8. azharinor

azharinor Regular Member

SAP Consultant Analyst
    Deuce in 21 point?

Can someone tell me how deuce work for 21 point badminton? At what point is it called for a deuce?

Thank.s

9. FrenziedEye

uhh..deuce commences when the score is 20-20.....

At this stage, the first person to win two rallies in a row, or in other words, lead by two points wins. EG. 26-24, 29-27

If the score reaches 29-29, first person to 30 wins.

To be honest, I dont like it as much compared to 15 points.... Where are the days where people get thrashed on tv??! (Unless you are exceptionally good!)

10. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Not exactly. Not first person to win two rallies in a row. At 21-22, winning two rallies in a row does not give you victory.

Actually, there isn't even a deuce. Basically, the rule states that a player must win by two clear points or by reaching the score of 30, whichever comes first. No one has the option to set or not.

11. coyiers2001

coyiers2001 New Member

21 point system sucks. The game becomes shorter - IBF should revert to the old system

12. FrenziedEye

okay..thats true... =)

pretty technical..never thought of that

thanks for correcting me

i should have just left it at lead score by two points.

13. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

See how the mental toughness become a more important winning factor under the new scoring system ...

An excerpt from, "Badminton: Chong Wei on a roll"
    The Star (Malaysian paper), Apr 3

National number one Lee Chong Wei is now ready to play his part in Malaysia’s Thomas Cup campaign after winning his second title in two weeks when he smashed his way to the singles crown on his debut in the Asian Badminton Championships yesterday.

Chong Wei, who won the Commonwealth Games men’s singles gold in Melbourne last month, swept aside Thailand’s Boonsak Ponsana 21-12, 21-16 in only 25 minutes to end Malaysia’s 12-year drought in the men’s singles event.

Although he wrapped up the title in straight games, Chong Wei said he nearly gave up during the second game.

That was when Boonsak was leading 9-4 and Chong Wei’s game was affected by the strong draught.

“I nearly gave up then. It is quite difficult to make up the deficit under the new scoring system. I was already thinking of the rubber game,” said Chong Wei.

“But then I managed to reel off several points in a row to lead 11-9. That changed the entire scenario. It also gave me the confidence to finish off the tie in straight games. Well, the rest is history but it was not an easy game for me.

Does that mean if Chong Wei didn't manage to catch up at that crucial stage, the history might be rewritten?