21-point is better

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2006 Badminton' started by weeyet, Mar 20, 2006.

1. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    I watch the games at TV, i like the photograph angle where it is taken from top view when the doubles is serve

2. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    I think the new system will benefit many Malaysian player

3. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

As what 7x5 system did ...

4. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I'm not sure what the IBF are looking for. We went through this with 7x5. The 15 point system is fine. All they are doing is wasting time and money again.

5. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Somebody, not something

Bottom line, badminton is not getting popular so something has to be blame, so the scoring system is the scape goat. In my opinion, somebody who's running the badminton association should be blame, not something like 15-point scoring system.

6. Shiryu

Shiryu Regular Member

Nerd
    I just want to say, I support the old 15 pts system.

7. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Electronics Tech, Badminton Junkie!

Yeah, I don't think there were any rallies when I watched that were long rallies at all. I would agree it is around 8-10 shots

8. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Your arguments about rallies getting shorter is wrong. Matches finish quicker yes but that means its getting less rallies rather than the rallies themselves getting shorter.

Fine, I might be wrong on average rallies per game, but isn't it still the same with the old scoring?

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    It is still too early to say. However, players who have an open mind and who are very keen to switch and adapt to the new system instead of being 'forced' to would benefit initially. Longer term it will be a level playing field, as a new generation of players will take over and they wouldn't know what the old system was all about.

10. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Yes it would be close.

However i am a very tactical player........when I have serve I play differently than if getting served to.

When i get served to.....I play more of a defencive game and play more 'high percentage shots' , shots that i have little chance in making errors.

When serving I play more aggressively, I play alot of steep smashes and sharp drops. As I have the safety of losing serve and not a point.

This new system would mean changing my tactics....which have served me well.:)

I have the ability to adapt, but i feel with the new system I would choose a more deffencive game.........for the whole game and seldom play aggressively.......might be boring, as when I have the serve I play like an animal and when I don't i play very defencively trying to draw the opponents own errors.

11. FrenziedEye

FrenziedEye Regular Member

haha yes...tactics all different.

i was watching Lee Chong Wei (MAS) play Aamir Ghaffer (ENG) in the mixed teams events gold medal match,

score was 21-8 and 21-8

Seriously, if it was the 15 point system that was clearly a score similiar to 15-2 15-0 ---> thrashing

Big gap in talent, but with this new scoring system, we'll begin to see top players becoming more human!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Games will be much closer; it is so very hard not to concede a point!!!!

I dont think ive ever seen a 21-0 ......closest one was Stuart Brehaut (AUS) vs some Kenyan guy....he was leading 17-0, then gave away one point....21-1 at the end...

my two cents --> dont know what you think of that guys!

#51 FrenziedEye, Mar 21, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  12. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

better my ass -- all the best matches i've seen in badminton have been long ones... and now they have made the game shorter... call it shortminton

there are far more people complaining than complimenting the new system

and there is virtually nobody who wants to play the new system over the old outside of pro badminton

The new scoring is just a random change to the game they made with very little forethought in my opinion .... as far as my experience, I've played since I was 13 i guess thats about 12 years since i'm 25 years old now ... I haven't once in that time heard a single player complain about the scoring system ..nor anyone from other sports who played badminton - from like tennis or whatever.. yet it somehow needs changing?

13. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    but tennis is longer than badminton, tennis men single can last 3 - 4 hours :D

14. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Lol....:D

I was there too.;) He gave a charity point I think.......:) Way too good!.

If there is no tie break at 20 all......then the maximum rallies possible in a game to 21 would be 41 rallies. if there is a tie break of 3 points then 46 rallies maximum in a game.

Stuart Brehaut was one player I could never beat in junior tournaments, there was another guy but can't remember his name.
    I stoped playing for 6 years....:( I should have kept playing maybe I would have been a substitute or their water boy--------->lol:D

15. m_poppema

m_poppema Regular Member

Let's hope it'll never get this far!!

Come on guys, how can you be in favour of the new rules :confused:
    Fend. have you played a lot with the new rules yet, it sucks (can't find other words)

Badminton = 15*3 without rallypoint!!
    Using the rallypoint rules it feels it ain't badminton anymore :crying:

Funny..nearly 80% of the people who participated in the polls are against this all (also on the dutch forum)
    And still we are afraid to have to deal with new regulations..
    If 80% of badmintonlovers is against all this, there's no way Punch will get his 2/3 of the votes, right?

(wish it was this simple :crying:)

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

If what you say is true then the decision is a sure bet that they will vote down the new system. Relax, there is then nothing to worry about. But what if you are wrong about the 80%? It is true that those who are against any change in anything, be it a new scoring system in badminton or a hike in taxes, are particularly vocal in their opposition. What about the delegates who will actually cast the votes? Perhaps they don't see this the same way as the '80% of badminton lovers' ? Perhaps more of them will think that the new system is just as good plus it will bring in more money. National badminton associations have to be able to support themselves and to generate funds, the more the better.
    Actually the Commonwealth games badminton matches do not have to use the new system. I wonder why they chose it? Is it indicative of the wishes of the majority Commonwealth countries? If so, there goes your 2/3 majority. Also China has officially backed the new system, and China is not without influence over most Asian and third world countries. The vote will be a battle royal. It is going to be much closer than the seemingly impossibe 2/3 hurdle.

17. m_poppema

m_poppema Regular Member

I know it will be Taneepak..
    I just hope it will all be somehow democratical, it's ok to influence small countries in my eyes..
    but if there's any money involved in 'influencing small countries' that'll be a bad thing!

ps. I think the poll is clear about the 80% though (at least last time I checked it)

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

But the poll is voluntary, and as such it only represents those who feel strongly against any change. A more accurate poll is to get the opinions of everyone, irrespective of whether they are against the proposal or they couldn't care less.
    Also real leadership is called for here. The acid test is not whether the majority is for or against it; neither is it a popular vote. The results in the years to come will be the real judge as to whether the new system is good.
    Just like in France now with the mass demonstration against the new labour law. I salute the PM of France for his leadership and far-sightedness.

19. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Except for shorter matches (and of course, the confusion in doubles), there is no difference between the two systems. Whether you or your opponent serves, you try to win the rally regardless of the system (serving to the net is equally bad in both systems). So, the only major change is that the new system favours the player with less stamina.

Sometimes, it is really exciting to watch the service keep changing without any points scored. Sometimes, it is downright boring. Perhaps, it would have been more fun to see the players play catch-up on points, like table tennis.

My own preference: 5 x 15 PAR (point-a-rally)
    Why? Well, I think the game should not be shortened. In thrashing games, the length stay about the same (42 points in 21x3 versus 45 points in 15x5) but in tight games, when it all goes down to the fifth game, it will be like the previous 15x3. I prefer PAR because there is a certainly that a point will be gotten. I only see server-gains-point in women's squash now. Other sports have adopted PAR.

20. qwertyu

qwertyu Regular Member

The good thing about the new system is that the game is shorter and the players thus expose to lesser risk of injury. Furthermore, shorter play time is in favour of players with less stamina. Future badminton will not be a test of strength but a test of tectical game play. As a result we can see more older players stay in their careers, making the sport more competitive.