2023 Yonex-Sunrise India Open

Discussion in '2023 Tournaments' started by BadSmashPdx, Jan 15, 2023.

1. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

FINALLY

2. Mr Wong

Mr Wong Regular Member

Just my observation. Cyf also pulled out. They probably ate something outside of their hotel together

3. Mr Wong

Mr Wong Regular Member

Vitsdarn victory also puts a perspective on how good naraoka is at the moment

Pcyl likes this.
  4. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

5. ChildrenOfBadminton

ChildrenOfBadminton Regular Member

what a pussy replying indirectly TwT
    man just shut up and mind your own business no need to spread your bs more. youve made your race look like mentally handicapped people already.

justiceforlcy and Anks like this.
  6. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    Reminds me of my time in China when I went out to eat in the streets ignoring all the warnings by friends and family...I should have known well and I guess I end up eating bat or pangolin and got myself constipated and sick.

She should have stayed in the hotel cause you never know what the local pallet is accustomed to which may not be fit for yourself.

browning likes this.
  7. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Day of upset, bizarre final with two walkovers which involving Chinese players, coincidentally clashes with Chinese New Year. Luckily, it's free access otherwise really disadvantage for speactators to watch three matches only.

A major breakthrough for Vitidsarn who very well prepared this time to anticipate top-seed formula, empowering formidable defense, wonderful net play and deceptive drops that destruct the Dane comfortable zone. The full speed Axelsen on his element in second game where Thailand youngster saves energy cleverly to bring A-game prospect in next plan. An unexpected plot twisting coming in middle of decider when Vitidsarn exploits some fantastic various shots that surprises the Olympic Champion who more and more annoyed with his uncharacteristic errors including last point. Interesting variable for men's singles department and Axelsen too, he's still human to taste defeat once.

Reversal of fortune in women's singles as An SY eliminates archrival Yamaguchi in three games, their healthy rivalry has started since last year to beat each other. The Korean came back from behind where her doggedness in long rallies put severe test for the Japanese whose momentum shrinked quickly in decider. Looks like medical treatment break in crucial stage (20-18) brought Liang/Wang to clinch second S750 title, Aaron Chia/Soh WY rhythm distracted after saved three match points.

Happy Lunar New Year for all BCers who celebrate :)

It'sMeMeMe, Khamenman, lurker and 3 others like this.
  8. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    I will rewatch the MS final again later today to admire KV's play some more

browning likes this.
  9. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

He is getting to anything and everything and nobody is getting why he is getting to getting those.

10. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Kunlavut is basically Momota prototype. Quite boring style of game.

11. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

My experience of final today:

There were three sections of stands behind main court. One section (Right) was fully occupied. Middle section, the guards were very rude and didn’t allow anyone there, don’t know why ? Left section was also not accessible. So people starting thronging other sections (side view and 45 degrees view one, I sat at the latter for the better view). VIP area was getting filled slowly slowly. In the middle of MD match, I saw people were allowed to sit in middle section and left section (better view, sigh I cursed the management people coz people who were early were not allowed to sit there). Anyway, coming to matches.

XD: It was 11:50 am and I saw in the screen which displayed Yuta Watanabe and Arisa Higashino were champions. I was shocked, I thought maybe there is some glitch. Then I called @Sumanth99 to check if this was true or not. Sadly, we were unlucky not to see XD final. I already told my sister to keep an eye on Yuta drops and Wang Yilyu smashes. My sister is an anime fan, so I told that Yuta looks like an anime figure. She instantly started to support Yuta lol.

WS: Arena was full of Indian fans supporting and chanting Yama-Guchi dun dun da dun dun (yonex bangers). I was supporting An Se Young. With me, another Indian and 4 Koreans (only Koreans in the arena from what I saw) were cheering while majority of fans were for Yamaguchi. So if you heard An Se Young chants, you probably heard me hehe. I told my sister about Yamaguchi perseverance and her abilities to stay on the rally, retrieve anything and everything and man, she did it. The match was seriously good, don’t know how it felt in tv but watching live, those unpredictable slices/drops, long rallies. I was fully satisfied. Was so happy to see ASY win, lie on the court after the match and then she appreciated the fans. Yamaguchi also appreciated.

WD: Prize ceremony. At that time, I went to eat food and the queue was very long so I missed prize ceremony as well as MD first game and middle of the second game.

MD: When i came back to my seat, I saw ChiaSoh won first game and it was the middle of the second game. Indian fans were supporting Malaysian pair. 20 percent Indian fans were supporting Chinese pair. Chinese fans were sitting at the VIP side waving small Chinese flags. This was my first experience of watching high quality MD match live. Last time I saw it was back in 2011 inaugural India Super Series. At that time I think Ahsan was a newbie, don’t remember he had some other partner back then. So yeah, very good fast rallies just how I like MD. Was initiating chants for Malaysia, tried chanting Malaysia Boleh but people didn’t know about this so had to stop. Also, surprisingly no Malaysia fan initiated so it was me and another Indian who always intitiated. It seemed they would win but I guess they choked after the interval of the decider. China pair won, so I was silent lol.

MS: Before the final, I could see Indian fans brining Denmark flag, one person brought a poster with Viktor photo and he wrote Viktor=Victory. Another male had a poster “Marry Me” and he was constantly holding it when Viktor match started haha. At VIP side, I could see two Danish officials (maybe Embassy people). So Denmark people were less in the arena but it was full of Indian fans chanting Viktor and Denmark. I was supporting Vitidsarn as I have a soft corner for underdogs. I predicted Axelsen would have it easy in 2 games. But Vitidsarn totally faced the crowd like a pro and played really well. My sister was going gaga for Axelsen. Well can’t blame her, when he changed his T-shirt and showed his abs, she went :oops::oops:. Axelsen smashes and reach was totally wow. We were totally breathtaken by the long gruesome rallies. For me, match of the final day was this one. After the interval of the decider, Kunlavut brought some Indian fans to his support and Vitid-Sarn and Thailand chants started to become more vocal. Viktor acknowledged the fans and Vitidsarn too.

I was very happy with the turnout and engagement of the fans. I literally had goosebumps while chanting and experiencing the atmosphere in WS and MS. The noise was too much. I don’t know how it felt in tv. If this was the noise here, I could only think how it must be in Istora (in my wish list).

It was a nice experience for me, watching badminton live after so many years. From watching AhmadNatsir, LCW, Saina, KKK/TBH in 2011 India Open to watching YutaArisa live, VA, CTC, Marin, Okuhara, Yamaguchi, ChiaSoh today, how life and badminton has changed :). Also made a new badminton fan (my sister). Now will wait for next year. Ciao

12. Baddie lover

You came to the arena today ?

13. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Axelsen who?

Axelsen is good but he is not being challenged at all. Last time Naraoka challenged him and this time Kun.

I hope people see that! Bulldozes over competition? My foot!

14. Mr Wong

Mr Wong Regular Member

I dunno if your reply is just a response to what I have written to the other guy but if it is, then it is really an embarrassment.

If it is not, then I apologize. But it's funny that you will be eating bat or pangolin at China because having travelled there, I dun recall that being a food that ppl often eat.

Street food are often risky business everywhere you go. So if you felt offended just because I am indicating that they ate something unhygienic just because it's India, maybe it's you who thinks that India are associated with being unhygienic.

I apologized if I misunderstood you but these days there are lots of insecure ppl.

Anyway like I said. I will not be surprised if the admin did not clean up some if the things being said here. And I am referring to the admin "C*****". Then it confirmed what I said about him a while ago.

15. Baddie lover

What happened bro ? One loss and you say this :p . Of course he was bulldozing. Now that player has beaten him, I hope competition becomes more fierce.

justiceforlcy likes this.
  16. Mr Wong

Mr Wong Regular Member

And you can scream about china as much as you want.

I am not from China anyway

17. James blake

James blake Regular Member

eh man,
    Don’t bother with this guy.
    I’ve started to notice a bunch of his posts. Says dumb **** like “none of you can comprehend” “you are not high level enough for this”
    There will always be those guys.

18. sunscreen

sunscreen Regular Member

Awesome. Love experiencing it vicariously through your post.

Baddie lover likes this.
  19. Baddie lover

Thank you for your kind words. It’s very rare to see positive words exchanged in today’s time.

20. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

I don't consider myself a fanboy and I don't like the word. Of course I am rooting for my compatriot but I am not blinded by it. I also try to give reasons and not excuses.

I don't see how being a favourite takes much away from the fact that recovering from 14-5 against a well playing Kidambi requires some mental strength. And I did not consider VA a "heavy" against Momota in DO21 final. Momota played well in the that tournament and looked like he was on his way back from injury/accident + KM having their last 13 matches. There are probably better examples though. The Danish commentators I assume were on the international broadcast (?) so I don't know what they said :)

There are tons of examples of VA folding! But not for the past two years since 2xThaliand Covid Open. Your WTF example was in the beginning of VA's current domination. He was not even WR1 then. It was his third final in three weeks and had won the two previous weeks. No he didn't manage to do anything about it, but! next time they met, I think it was in AE, AA tried to do the same, but this time VA managed to solve it. So at least he learned.

The match in Paris where he got the cramps? That was more a display of JC's seeing the opportunity, adjusting his playstyle and executing to perfection (zero errors) than it had anything to do with mental strength.

I don't remember the one against LD in Japan but back then VA was not mentally strong at all in my opinion.

Anyway, I think today's result says more about KV than about VA.