2023 Sudirman Cup pre tournament discussion

Discussion in '2023 Tournaments' started by Justafan90, Mar 26, 2023.

1. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Sudirman cup team predictions?

2. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

My predictions:
    1. MS: LSF for group matches and SYQ for QF onwards.
    2. MS: HBJ/CYF for group matches, maybe GFJ against Egypt, and CYF for QF onwards.
    3. MD: LWK/WC for group matches and LYC/OXY for QF onwards.
    4. WD: ZSX/ZY (I'm happy if they field ZSX/LiuSS) for group matches and CQC/JYF for QF onwards.
    5. XD: FYZ/HDP or JZB/WYX for group matches, and ZSW/HYQ for QF onwards. But I'm glad if they field ZSW/HDP, don't know why but I want to see this experimental pair :p
    Backup squad:
    • MS: LGZ
    • WS: GFJ, HY
    • MD: HJT, RXY, TQ (actually all of them are not reliable but just fill for maximum slots)
    • WD: LSS, TN, DY
    • XD: JZB/WYX. They've been impressive so far and deserve a debut match for this tournament.

3. Justafan90

Ur not bringing ZJP? I agree with everything else but wont be surprised if they field Liang/Wang in some of the matches from QF onwards also

4. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

ZJP for me is a no. Besides some flashes of brilliance, he is not consistent and reliable at all, many early exits and shaky performance at the Dubai BAMTC 2023.

As for Liang/Wang, Liang doesn't have a nerve for critical moments, just look at the match with the Daddies at AE23. He admitted that his hands were trembling and couldn't serve properly. Although OXY isn't much reliable, I put my bet on LYC to carry the pair and deliver. Or if the coaches try LYC with someone else (a backcourt player like Tan Qiang, ZHD, or even LWK), it's gonna be a pleasure surprise for me. Cause I don't expect MD to score a point for CHN in QF onwards.

#4 decrepit, Mar 26, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Zhang Nan with LYC at doubles. Nothing to lose

6. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

Regarding the MD, I think both LWK and OXY are the weak links of their respective pairs, hence I expect a reckless move with LYC/WC lol, but the problem is none of LYC or WC are backcourt players. It will be difficult for this pair to finish the rally from the back.

The main rivals with CHN should be JPN and KOR, I also expect their line-ups as below:

KOR:
    • MS: (Main) Jeon Hyeok Jin, (Back up) Cho Geon-yeop, Lee Yun-gyu -- SYQ and LSF can handle
    • WS: (Main) ASY, (Backup) KGE, SYJ -- CYF is the best bet against ASY for sure. Would be a 50/50 and deciding match.
    • MD: KimWH, SSJ, ChoiSG, KangMH. There may be Na Sung Seung and Jin Yong, the newly crown Vietnam IC. This will be a hidden factor from KOR, I highly appraise SSJ and KimWH so I hope they will play together.
    • WD: KimKong and BaekLee for sure. -- Only ChenJia can handle.
    • XD: (Main) SeoChae, (Backup) KimJeong -- Gonna be interesting whether ZSW can handle the pressure if the tie goes into this match. At Sudirman 2017, ChoiChae def. Lu Kai/HYQ to claim the title for KOR. Chae also improves a lot recently.
    JPN:
    • MS: (Main) Kodai N, (Back up) Kenta N, Kento M -- I'm not sure if LSF and SYQ can handle if Naraoka plays at his best :D
    • WS: (Main) AY, (Back up) NO and whoever for cheerleader purposes -- Again CYF is the best bet.
    • MD: (Main) HokiKoba, KogaSaito, YW. It is also a hidden factor, JPN can field Yuta with Koga or Hoki to take advantage of Yuta's gifted talent.
    • WD: (Main) NamiShida, (Back up) FukuHiro, Mayu M, Misaki M. Just like the Uber cup, there may be scratch pairs and I love this!! -- ChenJia can handle.
    • XD: (Main) YW/AH, (Back up) Midorikawa/Saito, Yamashita/Shinoya. It all depends on Yuta's injury rehabilitation.
    INA and IND will be the dark hoses :)

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Good idea, I like this surprise combo too, Zhang Nan's days are not over yet. Two pedigree MD superstars, both highly experienced, reliable and steady in critical situations , much needed for team championships. They'd better start secret training quickly.

It's OK if neither of them are power smashers at the back court - just look at the aging Golden Oldies, Ahsan/Setiawan.

skhai91 and Cheung like this.
  8. Justafan90

LYC/WC could be an interesting pair if they do chooses that route, they might get trashed or do super well. That includes both japan and korea’s pairing especially unpredictable korea. They might even return to their old pairing of choi/seo.

i think Akane was injured too during AE (wish her a speedy recovery) but if everyone is fit and good to go, CYF is literally a toss up for ASY and Akane, if any of the others slip up, it wont get to the XD, urrgh I wish they would start with that.

For MS, i think stubborn Japan might still consider sticking with momota as their MS1 and no one knows which momota will show up. Obviously if the best momota shows up, SYQ and LSF are gonna be in trouble. Naraoka, SYQ was able to beat him when he was doing well last yr. Not sure bout LSF.

#8 Justafan90, Mar 27, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Posts moved away from China badminton thread to Sudirman Cup separate thread

Mod

10. Justafan90

What do we think of Chinese Taipei chances? I think to get thru they need wins from WS, MS and MD.

#10 Justafan90, Mar 27, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  11. BadSmashPdx

BadSmashPdx Regular Member

Everything could happen in the courts but China is heavily favored to win Sudirman Cup 2023.
    @decrepit listed China-A and China-B team squads. If they were both in the tournament, I think both of them would reach semifinal (if they do not meet earlier in the knockout stage).

Agree with @decrepit that Japan and Korea are the main rivals. But they are one or two levels below China team. China is too dominant this year. I'm looking at the 2023 tournament results so far and only on WS field where China has not won or performed excellently (and China has BWF rank #3 CYF, #5 HBJ, #6 WZY).

For this year only, I wish we have an additional matches where the winner team plays against the world. Short of like this in NBA Rising Star USA vs. World ( https://www.espn.com/nba/game/_/gameId/401098038 ).

80plus likes this.
  12. Justafan90

Interesting that WS is the inconsistent ones, must be due to AY and ASY. I would have thought MS would be the inconsistent ones.

13. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

China was still the trongest, Japan and Korea were right behind, but theoretically, India, Indonesia and Taipei were still very unpredictable.

#13 terrynguyen121988, Mar 29, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
    Cheung likes this.
  14. Justafan90

When do we find out the teams selection? After asia champ?

15. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

Imho, only KOR is the main rival with CHN for the trophy. JPN has a tradition to flop so bad in important events but theoretically their team is so balance, so I just put it there :D

Regarding the additional match, it's indeed a very interesting idea.

16. Justafan90

How are the matches arranged again? Is XD always last?

17. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

China vs Korea in thw Final
    Where can I put my bet?

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Around 400USD for a supreme ticket on finals day.

There must be a lot of wealthy fans there.

19. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

maybe just local fans thirsty for a local tournament after COVID