2016 YONEX ALL ENGLAND Open SSP - QUARTER FINALS (11th March)

Discussion in 'German / All England / Swiss Open 2016' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

My friends, when your debates devolve into "a question of form"--it is no longer a debate, but the very reason why we watch spectator sports at all...:)

Anyway, people musing about "if only XYZ of old would show up" should generally be left to their musings...:cool:

#541 Forestal, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  2. renbo

renbo Regular Member

We used to be in a "week era" of predictors!

3. renbo

renbo Regular Member

On the long term perhaps CM stands better chance to dominate then NO, as NO's style of play is so demanding.
    But then Hirose maintained her level quite to the last moments of her career

4. KB@TB Em

KB@TB Em Regular Member

student
    What an intense day!! A lot of long, close matches with quite a few upsets.

The day ended very disappointing for me. Zwiebler gave away his two match points, suddenly going for winners where he shouldn't...
    Also Shin / Jung lost again against a top 4 pair. I always enjoy them, but they can't maintain their intensity through the whole match.

Lin Dan is freaking unbelievable, I could feel his intensity beginning from game 2.
    Sad, Momota lost, the ms lost something... Houwei running like hell, but I couldn't enjoy his style :/ Ofc a great chance for the likes of vittinghus or tian and song but it's not near as exciting as it is with lcw, cl or Momota imo.

Russians played an amazing match and deserve their semifinal spot. They will trouble the Koreans tomorrow. They don't like to play Europeans it seems.

Overall the hall seems quite slow, big smashers like yys, fh, tbh or gvs don't get shuttles on the floor it seemed...

5. volcom

volcom Regular Member

CM will crush Okuhara tomorrow.

She will be super pumped.

6. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Same... Tian Houwei's game is just way too boring to watch, 0 excitement.

7. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Lin Dan will definitely enter the final, or else I'll have to eat my cake.

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Exciting line-up for today

Upsets make the AE more exciting. With the departure of top stars like LCW (MAS), KM (JPN), MA/HS (INA), JOJ and VA (DEN) and CL, FHF/ZN, WYH (CHN) some of the hot favourites still remain in contention.

Many will be looking to LD, CM, LYD/YYS, ZN/ZYL and the Luo sisters to win and enter tomorrow's finals.

However, China remains the dominant nation in badminton with the most number of representatives in today's Semis:

CHN (7)
    JPN (3)
    DEN (3)

and the rest with only ONE representative:

KOR
    ENG
    RUS
    MAS
    SPN
    INA and
    TPE

A pity that giant-killer of LCW, IND did not make it today. And THA with so many promising women talents also fell by the wayside.

But I'm happy to see the Adcocks representing England in what is essentially a world championship (the AE) long ago when badminton was in its infancy and England took the initiative of hosting this international open for other countries to participate. All thanks to England!

Let's enjoy today's semis. :):):)

#548 Loh, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  9. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

Thanks [MENTION=121556]blabl[/MENTION]

Do let me know if you got the video :D
    cheers m8

10. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Xue Song is so great! He is really tiny and very light weight, his fitness level is Amazing and he moves great. In G2 after having saved 4 gamepoints to make it 20-20 he had a very questionable linecall against him at his own baseline and then at 21-21 he gets service fault. But even after losing G2 he still could run away with G3 and win. In the XD with Fischer and Pederson vs CHN DEN flick serve never gets faulted but CHN flick serve got faulted all the time, I cannot Believe that all the DEN flick serve is legal and all CHN flick serve not legal, it smells fishy:mad:

11. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Also Lin Dan played really great, at least after he found his right gear after G1, perfect Control and precision to beat Jorgensen.

12. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Do you think your post has any association or criticism to my post?sorry but I found it irrelevant?
    Just one line on SN and others on the WS and last Lara on TTY's! Nothing about the match, nor about SN's style of play!

13. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Nah, you didn't got his pt! As far as I know he is a huge NO fan plus he's almost correct, if only you watched CM playing RI yesterday! She has all the capabilities to thrash even a player of NO's calibre! She has fresher legs than NO plus a better smash!
    CM wasn't at her best in Dubai she lost to SN(who herself was suffering from ailments) NO has quite good chances but this is SF she must be a bit tired! Her style is demanding and CM doesn't let you settle down!
    I'd the same CM(as of yesterday) step on the court I am afraid she'll march in yet another finale

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Goh and Tan are certainly a great credit to MAS, being MAS's sole survival of this AE to the semis, but to associate them with LCW and his "bag of tricks", I'm afraid I can't understand. They are from different disciplines.

And I'm not sure they belong to the new class as the Zulkifflis, who can't even make it to this AE. Goh and Tan are certainly above the ZZs.

And I wouldn't call GJW great as she is essentially a 'junior' player as of now. Better not be big-headed like the WJC ZZ, who disappeared from the radar screen when 'promoted' to the senior level. Unlike his WJC runner-up VA, who is now in the top-ten senior world ranking, ZZ is still struggling to make an impact at the world stage.

The criticism is justified.

15. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Well represented uncle Loh!
    I personally couldn't make sense of many of those sentences + his referrings to WSX